Please Don't Let Me Become An Old Jerk Woman!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You can't imagine how many people I hear everyday tell me that Publix does this or that. I keep telling them this ain't no Publix. This is Winn Dixie and we don't. I have to remind them I'm just one of the grunts rowing the boat, not making the rules. Of course I say it with a sweet southern smile.:D
I shop at both places. They each have certain advantages over the other. I like Publix a little more, but not enough to shop there exclusively. My money usually goes to the store that's having the best sales at any given time.

Eskimo1990

is here :)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry that happened joyce.

People are so rude sometimes. I'm surprised I have the patience to deal with them. I work at an ice cream shop, people are so rude to us. They use their cell phones and then tell us to wait. Get off the fricken phone. grr.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I work in/own/manage a check cashing store. We provide a service of convenience for customers that don't have a bank account and those that don't want the bank to hold their check for 10 days until it clears. With this, there is also the risk of the check being returned. We also charge a check cashing fee.
Almost every day, someone comes into my store with a grumpy attitude. When one lady learned the fee, she told me how rude I was for charging a fee. She then proceed to tell me that I am supposed to be there to provide a service and that service should be free. I kindly reminded her that the bank is right around the corner and she is welcome to go there. Then she (this really did happen) stared me straight in the face and told me she knew there wasn't enough money in the account. WTF??? :shrug:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you have to go thru that w. women in my age category. If I went into your store, I'd treat you as nice as pie, but that's cuz I :heart: you anyways. :)

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I got read the riot act a couple of weekends ago by an old man over "not knowing how to park her stupid Goddamn car - what the hell is her problem driving one of them fooo-ren cars anyway? She think she's too Goddamn good to be an American?" He was saying all this to my mom, who was doing her best not to laugh in his face and make him even madder. Guess he thought I didn't deserve to park next to him in the supermarket lot.

And BTW, the "foreign" car in question is my mom's Saturn Vue. Last I knew, Spring Hill, Tennessee was in the United States.

Last edited:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Around here, old jerks are mostly men--of the "hey, you kids! GET OFF MY LAWN!" variety. There's one who lives behind us, suspended in amber, and everytime our small emergency backup dog so much as woofs, he marches his fossilized ass over to chez Rima to complain. I bought a citronella antibark collar for her to wear--he still complains because he insists on total peace and quiet. He's the sort of assmarmot who writes cranky letters to the editor about changes in public leaf burning laws.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'm sorry that happened joyce.

People are so rude sometimes. I'm surprised I have the patience to deal with them. I work at an ice cream shop, people are so rude to us. They use their cell phones and then tell us to wait. Get off the fricken phone. grr.

Oh the cell phone thing. So many people do the whole checkout and never acknowledge me even being there because they are on the phone. That's just rude.

I do have those gem people who can make your whole day. I have regulars that I look forward to seeing. I also have those regulars who I think just checkout with me to torture me.:D

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Joyce-- I feel for you. I just left retail after 11 years. I was really good at the blank look and the dumb silence. It was better than the thirty sharp things running through my head... and I wasn't even a cashier. Cashiers have it the worst, I think because you're the last line of defense after "everything else."

I think EVERYONE should be required to work in retail for one christmas season. If that happened, I truly think the vast majority of customer complaints would disappear. There are only a few people who, after going through an experience, still lack empathy. Though there will always be the people who have no patience at all for human error...

I actually enjoy being in line when someone starts bitching to me (b/c they're not at the cashier yet.) I make pointed comments like "Oh, I no, I don't think the cashier is going slow. But since I'm not perfect, I can empathize with people." or "Wow, you're one of those perfect people? I wish I never made a mistake! What's it like?" Heh.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Joyce I'm not the one complaining, I'm the one who drifted off thinking about a book and didn't notice the line moved.

TerzaRima - try singing in your yard. I did it and the one neighbor who complained about the dogs stopped. Of course since she complained every time a dog barked and everyone in the neighborhood except her had one, we started complaining when her baby cried. (we didn't mean it, but she was mean. She wouldn't change her dog's food if it got rained in, said the dog ought to appreciate what it got.)

Oh and Richard, that was a soooooooooooo sexist remark that I'm really annoyed with you.

sigh
Stlight

Last edited:

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I feel for you. I used to work in retail.

Besides people who didn't have the common courtesy to say things like : "please" "thank you" "have a good day, too." -

My "favorite" memories:

1. All the jerks who wait til Christmas Eve to shop when they have the whole friggin year. Then it is OUR fault there are long lines and we don't have THE BOOK they promised to buy someone. No, they don't want a gift certificate which can be used in any of our stores plus Borders around the entire country. No, they don't want another book which is similar and very good. Only THAT BOOK! None of the other thousands in stock will do. How DARE we not have it?

2. Woman who came in asking for a novel. Co-worker told her we didn't have it in stock (this was a book I'd never even heard of) but we'd be happy to order it for her. Co-worker proceeds to tell her ordering is free, book would come in within 3 days, and she's under no obligation to buy it. We just shelf it if she changes her mind. Woman proceeds to start screaming at the top of her lungs that our store sucks for not having the book she wants and then literally grabs some books and starts throwing them at us.

3. Woman who let her son throw ALL of the childrens books onto the floor. And seemed perplexed when I asked her to please have him pick them up.

I could go on and on...

I loved getting back at them. Once, I was working alone. Got about 5 people in line. The phone rings. Store policy said I had to answer phone within 3 rings. (if district manager caught you not doing so there was hell to pay. yes, she was psycho). I answer the phone, ask person to please hold the line. Go back to register. Woman in front of line asks me if I would find a book for her. I run to get it. As I come back, I overhear the woman behind that woman complaining about how long it was taking. I hand the book to the first woman who thanks me. Then, as I ring her up, I smiled quite ruefully, "God, I've been alone here all day. I could really use some help! Would any of you like to stay and help me? Things would move so much faster. I have to ring up customers, answer the phone, help people find things. Our daily shipment just came in. Almost twenty boxes. I have to receive all the books with our scanner, then I have to shelf them..." The second woman who'd been bitching turned totally red and looked down at the floor. :D

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Someone wants YOU to apologize for the air stinking????

I would have either laughed hysterically (so that she thought I was a complete nutcase) or told her to f*ck off.
I'm sure we all know this would get joyce fired. And honestly, it would be right.

When you sink to the same level as someone screaming at you and being unfair you lose. Big time and so does the store that pays your wages.

joyce, I'm sure you won't be like her.

if I can give you a bit of advice...take a class on customer service. Not because you don't give good service but because it teaches techniques with dealing with people like that. I thought I knew all I needed to about good customer service until this semester's class, Customer Service/Marketing.

it is possible to turn an angry customer into a happier one. not happy but happier.

I have always enjoyed being the good customer. The other day, to put this on the other shoe, I was at Beans and Brews and ordered a frappe with an extra shot of expresso and a squirt of chocolate, no whipcream.

when I turned around the girl was pouring something from the blender that looked like it had been sitting there for hours. I stopped her and asked her to kindly make me a fresh one and she said but she had just made it. I reminded her, I paid 6.50 plus a 1.30 tip and I was promised a freshly made drink.

I felt bad when I walked away and sat down until the owner came back to thank me for politely telling them. It was the first time I have ever spoken up when I've been mis-served.

So, I feel for you in your position and I know there has to be a way to deal with it. I just happen to be taking a college course to help me. :) If I see a chapter outline I can scan I'll send it to you. ;)

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed being the good customer. The other day, to put this on the other shoe, I was at Beans and Brews and ordered a frappe with an extra shot of expresso and a squirt of chocolate, no whipcream.

when I turned around the girl was pouring something from the blender that looked like it had been sitting there for hours. I stopped her and asked her to kindly make me a fresh one and she said but she had just made it. I reminded her, I paid 6.50 plus a 1.30 tip and I was promised a freshly made drink.

I felt bad when I walked away and sat down until the owner came back to thank me for politely telling them. It was the first time I have ever spoken up when I've been mis-served.

;)

There was no reason for you to feel bad. You nicely asked them to make you a fresh drink. World of difference. And you see they appreciated it. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure we all know this would get joyce fired. And honestly, it would be right.

When you sink to the same level as someone screaming at you and being unfair you lose. Big time and so does the store that pays your wages.

Cassi, in another post I said that I do not do this kind of job because it would be difficult for me to restrain myself from saying the wrong thing.

Obviously, I know that it would be wrong for Joyce to swear at the customer.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
My in-laws were the same way. We just stopped going out with them too. My father-in-law would steal the tip my husband left and not think anyone saw him. Heck, they wanted us to steal packs of ketchup & mustard from fast food rest. for my wedding dinner.

My MIL steals sugar substitute packets from restaurants. I bought her a box of packets so she would always have a supply at her house and asked her not to steal packets anymore. She continued to steal the packets. I bought another box of packets and replace the ones she steals before we leave the restaurant.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Oh Joyce :Hug2:

That happened to a cashier when I was in line at a grocery store. The woman in front of me was so annoyed at everything. The way the cashier scanned the food, how I was trying to weasel in while she was still putting her food on the conveyor belt, etc.

I asked her,"Are you feeling okay?" She looked surprised that I asked her that and she said, "No. I don't feel well and I have to run home to take care of my mother." Then she apologized to the cashier and me.

So think of it this way: if they're cranky, maybe, just maybe, they're ill. Or they could just be naturally cranky. In that case, stay clear!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been shopping in my grocery for 32 years. I've been there longer than any of the employees. A lot of them recognize me, even though they don't know me. When someone is rude and obnoxious, we just grimace and roll our eyes, and then make snide remarks after they leave. It takes a special person to work retail, and there are some of us who appreciate you.

MM

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I feel for you. I used to work in retail.

Besides people who didn't have the common courtesy to say things like : "please" "thank you" "have a good day, too." -

My "favorite" memories:

1. All the jerks who wait til Christmas Eve to shop when they have the whole friggin year. Then it is OUR fault there are long lines and we don't have THE BOOK they promised to buy someone. No, they don't want a gift certificate which can be used in any of our stores plus Borders around the entire country. No, they don't want another book which is similar and very good. Only THAT BOOK! None of the other thousands in stock will do. How DARE we not have it?

2. Woman who came in asking for a novel. Co-worker told her we didn't have it in stock (this was a book I'd never even heard of) but we'd be happy to order it for her. Co-worker proceeds to tell her ordering is free, book would come in within 3 days, and she's under no obligation to buy it. We just shelf it if she changes her mind. Woman proceeds to start screaming at the top of her lungs that our store sucks for not having the book she wants and then literally grabs some books and starts throwing them at us.

3. Woman who let her son throw ALL of the childrens books onto the floor. And seemed perplexed when I asked her to please have him pick them up.

I could go on and on...

I loved getting back at them. Once, I was working alone. Got about 5 people in line. The phone rings. Store policy said I had to answer phone within 3 rings. (if district manager caught you not doing so there was hell to pay. yes, she was psycho). I answer the phone, ask person to please hold the line. Go back to register. Woman in front of line asks me if I would find a book for her. I run to get it. As I come back, I overhear the woman behind that woman complaining about how long it was taking. I hand the book to the first woman who thanks me. Then, as I ring her up, I smiled quite ruefully, "God, I've been alone here all day. I could really use some help! Would any of you like to stay and help me? Things would move so much faster. I have to ring up customers, answer the phone, help people find things. Our daily shipment just came in. Almost twenty boxes. I have to receive all the books with our scanner, then I have to shelf them..." The second woman who'd been bitching turned totally red and looked down at the floor. :D

Ah, yes. The customers we love to hate...

I love that last one. An excellent example of the "guilt trip," used by mothers everywhere. :D I'm a master, but I've never tried it while working.

As for the parents who let their kids run wild, yeah, we have them. "Just throw the popcorn on the floor, kids. That's why they have ushers." I remember one time the GM made the kids clean up, much to the mother's dismay. Great day.

Then there's the day we ran out of just about everything. Day before stock replenishment, the week Dark Knight and Mama Mia! opened, and we'd been swamped beyond what we expected. We ran out of Coke. Now I'm not saying we're not at fault here, but we got this two page letter (that came to us via head office. :( ). The writer complained that we'd tried to sell him Coke Zero instead ("Have you tasted that stuff? It's not fit to drink!") and that "we in the customer service industry in Canada" don't know how to treat our customers. (Note the "we" here--he's actually dissing himself.) He then goes on to say that it's the right of every movie-goer to have buttered popcorn and a coke, and that if everybody had buttered popcorn and a coke, there might be more peace in the world.

Yes, folks, I spread world peace by selling popcorn and coke! :D

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seaclusion
They don't have any men in their lives. That's why they are bitchy and irritable. If you get what I mean.

Richard

Funny. It worked the other way around for me....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try hard to be the next older female customer, the one who makes it her business to empathize with the abused cashier, and to brighten every cashier's day any time I make a purchase.

However, I am mindful of the many, many times I grocery shopped when something genuinely awful was going on in my life. My family had to eat even if I'd just received stunningly bad news, or was sick (but not contagious), or hadn't slept well in a week. When I see someone explode like Joyce's customers, I always wonder if they aren't lashing out over something else altogether, taking it out on the person who can't fight back.

Not that this excuses their behavior, but it's certainly a potential factor in the reason behind it.

Anyway, after doing my time in customer service, I got better at bantering away bad moods and nasty remarks. "Yeah, I keep waiting for the day when a cologne pipe breaks rather than sewage," or "There, I've taken off the overcharge. By the second glass, maybe you'll forget the computer wasn't programmed with the right price, and some time in the third glass, you'll think this is great stuff. Enjoy!"

Maryn, who jokes away everything

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone, I just needed to vent yesterday. I think the store has been spraying nasty gas on the customers the last couple of weeks. Like I said before, thank goodness I have a sick sense of humor and the ability to laugh at almost anything. Today I was graced with people in a good mood. I needed a break! After a couple Bud Lights it doesn't hurt so bad.:D