Thanks...and an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I was very grateful to hear everyone's advice about my young neighbor who loves writing horror stories. Also, I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more out there for young genre writers. I myself was writing really horrible western romances at his age, then I grew up and realized magazines pay better. :)

Anyway, because of this, I've decided to start a horror-writing contest for kids for 2008. Thinking about a deadline of Oct. 1, and announcing winners on Halloween. I'm taking half of an upcoming article paycheck, about $250, to put up for cash prizes, and I've got to work out all the details, such as any age categories, word limit, etc. I have experience with the office-side of contests, since I have sponsored contests before through a regional writing conference. However, I will need some judges, so if any horror writers out there would like to help out, I'd be very grateful. Also, if anyone has any ideas or feedback for the contest, please let me know. I figure starting a year in advance means I can get the word out to all the boards, mags and other writing outlets in plenty of time.

Thanks again to everyone for being my scary, fanged muse!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm a member of HWA, plaid. If you'd like, I'd be happy to post this up on their forums to see if we can get you a high profile horror judge or two. That might make it all the more fun. :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
PM me your email addy. I'll have people interested contact you directly. Oh, and I'll be meeting with the Texas local HWA members this weekend at FenCon. I know a couple of Bram Stoker winners will be there and can ask them if they'd be interested/have time next year.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hey, plaid!

Well, I met with the Dallas HWA members on Saturday night and told them about your project. They were enthusiastic, but had some really good questions that you'll need to think about as you're planning this. (I had to write them all down as they were slinging them at me so I didn't forget them all. LOL!)

1. Are you going to have an upper end limit of entries per category?

2. Are you going to judge them by age group or grade? Sometimes that makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the stories, simply because certain rules of grammar might not be known to lower grade entrants (regardless of age). Even one grade can make a difference.

3. Do you want to limit final round judges to those with some teaching credentials? It seems a lot of horror authors are elementary and secondary school teachers (hey, who knew?) One 2006 Bram Stoker finalist (Angeline Hawkes) judges a horror contest for a high school in the midwest somewhere and offered to help you out with creating categories if you'd like. Let me know and I'll hook you two up.

4. Will you want the first or second round judges (two tiers of judging was HIGHLY recommended by HWA Pres. Deborah LeBlanc) to offer critiques on the stories? If so, and apparently that's quite common for school-aged writers, then you'll have to have a larger group of judges, since people tend to balk at judging/critiquing more than 5-6 entries.

5. A couple of people recommended that the final round judges have pro horror credentials--either short stories, novellas or novels. First round judges can be anyone that likes horror. But if critiquing is desired for the finalists, then pubbed people was strongly suggested.

6. They suggested that I not put the notice up on the HWA message board until the details are a little more fine-tuned, but had no hesitation that you'd get plenty of offers to help out.

Let me know if you want to get in touch with either Angeline or Deborah or whenever you have the details put together and I'll put it up on the HWA board. :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy,

Thanks for all the great questions! I hadn't thought about an upper end limit, I hate to exclude anyone, but I have been thinking about age categories. I'm planning on at least two, and that could make the category limit decision easier. I see three stages of judging, actually. The first stage would be sifting through the entries, of course, and making sure they follow whatever guidelines are established. Then I like the idea of the two rounds of judging with critiques, having the final round judged by published authors, and would love to be connected with Angeline regarding a few other tips she might be able to help me with, for example, how do we make sure they are in the right age category, do we have a sheet that requires a parent or teacher signature, etc.

I serve on the board for a regional writing conference, which means my October will be a bit crazed, but I'm going to try to have all the details hammered out for this contest by December or January, ready to get judges on board then go public by spring. I have the name of the contest picked out, and still have to pick up the domain name, etc. Would love to contact Deborah after the details are arranged a bit further.

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Beth

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Plaid,
Wow! You're great idea picked up quickly! I love anything that encourages kids to read and write. Too much illiteracy in this country! :Soapbox: I hope all goes well! Sounds like it will!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.