Status
Not open for further replies.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I'm posting this looking for a list of recommended classic horror as well as those with a political edge, or highly commended horror from some established modern author.

I've got a lot of reading to do and want to compile of books I want to read, whether it's soon or in years to come. Horror is just one of those characters I want to consume.

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I'm posting this looking for a list of recommended classic horror as well as those with a political edge, or highly commended horror from some established modern author.

I've got a lot of reading to do and want to compile of books I want to read, whether it's soon or in years to come. Horror is just one of those characters I want to consume.

Voice of our Shadow by Jonathon Carroll is one of the best horror books I've ever read.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
This thread'll be useful for me, too, as I've long given up on horror novels except for SK, and only read anthologies now. Time to dip a toe back in?

I'm guessing you know all the SK novels.

'The Haunting of Hill House' is a great classic. Shirley Jackson.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Zahra,
Try Tananarive Due and Brandon Massey. Mrs. Due's stories are creepy. She writes literary horror. She's a brilliant author! I aspire to be like that! :D
Oh, thanks for that! I'm back in the UK, and not sure if I can get them here, but I'll have a go. Hope Mrs Due's stuff isn't TOO literary, though. Don't like the clever-clever, as I've posted before. Under-the-bed is fine for me. But you've said she's creepy...:Thumbs:

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

Read this and don't wait for the movie. Marvelous.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score

Read it recently; sucked me right in and blew me away. A fantastic work of art.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Anything by H.P. Lovecraft (my favorite: At the Mountains of Madness)
Anything by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child (my favorites: Relic and Still Life with Crows)
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (a classic for a good reason)
Frank De Felitta's Audrey Rose
Jay Anson's The Amityville Horror
A small press novella, Then Comes the Child, by Fulbright & Hawkes, is one of the nominees for the Bram Stoker award this year. A SERIOUSLY creepy tale that made it hard to sleep the first night. I highly recommend it! :D

zahra

Registered
Reaction score

Persuaded! I bought it today and I'm so excited - saving it for Sunday, my day off. Can't wait. Though will, actually.

Thanks for the recommends.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through I AM LEGEND, but only because I'm making myself ration it. LOOOOVE it! I'm already sad at the thought of finishing it. Why isn't it longer! Day off tomorrow, so after the writing, the reading.

Thanks again, all, for recommending it. I don't think I'd have picked it up otherwise, cos I'm not into vampire novels as a rule because I find most writers seem to concentrate on the angst, sex or gore angle, which ain't scary to me.

But this is captivating. Right up there with the 'Lot'.

Status
Not open for further replies.