John Lennon

BlankWhitePage

Registered
Reaction score
Personally have always found Paul to be the superior one, but I digress as I am incredibly biased since he is my favourite of all musicians. :)

That being said, I've been a massive Beatles/solo Beatles fan virtually all my life (thanks to my mother). I love all four of them and their work, and John's life was cut infinitely too short. My best friend adores him and still gets emotional when his death is brought up.

Though forever and always, the night I saw Paul live in 2010 will remain the single greatest night of my entire life. Singing Hey Jude in the presence of a Beatle was the most humbling and surreal thing to ever happen to me. Wish I could have seen them together in the 60s but alas, I was born 20 years after their breakup.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Personally have always found Paul to be the superior one, but I digress as I am incredibly biased since he is my favourite of all musicians. :)

That being said, I've been a massive Beatles/solo Beatles fan virtually all my life (thanks to my mother). I love all four of them and their work, and John's life was cut infinitely too short. My best friend adores him and still gets emotional when his death is brought up.

Though forever and always, the night I saw Paul live in 2010 will remain the single greatest night of my entire life. Singing Hey Jude in the presence of a Beatle was the most humbling and surreal thing to ever happen to me. Wish I could have seen them together in the 60s but alas, I was born 20 years after their breakup.

Did you happen to catch him on that 12-12-12 concert? I turned it on with about an hour and a half to go. Paul was so great that night. This guy is amazing. He may not have all of his voice left, but he is the consummate musician, and even the notes that he can't hit full-voiced, he still hits them and therefore does not break the melodic narrative. A tough question, John v. Paul. Once I played every Beatle album I had, all the major ones, in an attempt to decide it once and for all.

It ended in a tie.

BlankWhitePage

Registered
Reaction score
Did you happen to catch him on that 12-12-12 concert? I turned it on with about an hour and a half to go. Paul was so great that night. This guy is amazing. He may not have all of his voice left, but he is the consummate musician, and even the notes that he can't hit full-voiced, he still hits them and therefore does not break the melodic narrative. A tough question, John v. Paul. Once I played every Beatle album I had, all the major ones, in an attempt to decide it once and for all.

It ended in a tie.

Of course, and I'll catch him on SNL this evening as well. His opening ceremony performance for the 2012 Olympics left me in tears, it was so moving.

I think the debate of John versus Paul would have more to go on had John's life not ended so soon. Paul has of course gone on to produce more material than all four of them did as soloists. But that isn't his fault. We can blame someone else for the lack of John's work. :(

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, and I'll catch him on SNL this evening as well. His opening ceremony performance for the 2012 Olympics left me in tears, it was so moving.

I think the debate of John versus Paul would have more to go on had John's life not ended so soon. Paul has of course gone on to produce more material than all four of them did as soloists. But that isn't his fault. We can blame someone else for the lack of John's work. :(

Oh, I forgot that he was on SNL tonight, thanks for reminding me! Yeah, any comparison- don't know why there needs to be one, other than that their talent is something for us mere mortals to try and understand and learn from- would have to be limited to pre 1981.

I heard George Martin address this a bit. If I recall it went something like- The traditional view is that John wrote great lyrics and Paul great melodies. But John wrote some great tunes and Paul great lyrics.

Paul did mention to my brother, regarding John, and I'll have to paraphrase again, You knew when John brought something around it was going to be something different. That I take to mean, a departure, pushing the envelope, growing kind of thing