AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Good morning Cantina. How is everyone?

Oh goody.

Another shining example of how girls should sit around waiting for their prince to come.

*has issues with the Disney Princesses*

:rant:
LadyAce wrote her Bachelor's senior project on the differences between the original Cinderella and the Disney version, part of which highlighted the commercialization effect Disney inserted into the whole Disney Princess thing.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
My father informs me that the only reason babies look so cute is so you don't murder them before they're five. :p Apparently ages 5 -10 are golden, and then the teenage years are hell.

I have pictures though that imply he quite enjoyed the before five years, and the way he goes goo-goo over babies also implies that this is a lie. ;)

My dad has told me the same thing. He also acts like he doesn't really like babies, but when he holds one his face lights up. So cute. :)

Oh goody.

Another shining example of how girls should sit around waiting for their prince to come.

*has issues with the Disney Princesses*

:rant:

I get what you're saying, but the last couple Princess movies haven't been that bad.

Also, I heard Disney is doing a live action movie about Maleficent. Now that is something I'm excited about. :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Also--I've written more words of non-fiction than fiction in the last week and a half.

Can I still hang out here?

*tackles Ace* Of course you can still be here. You're not here enough as is.

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some rule that says that you can't be hot, a guy, and half naked and smiling? Is smiling somehow supposed to ruin the sexiness?

My take on the trend (and art history peeps can sit staring at this thought, shaking their head and crying all they want) is that we can lay the blame squarely on Brando and James Dean. You know those iconic black and white photographs of them scowling their way through most of the promo work they did? BOOM. Straight into the public consciousness, and everyone (whether they are as important, or - more usually - not) tries to pull off the same shtick. Have you seen photographs of supermodels? They scowl a LOT, and as for some actresses... Ugh, if I have to sit through another film where Renée Zellweger scrunches her face up, I'm going to give up on American films entirely. Someone tell her a joke. Quick. Make her smile.

Also--I've written more words of non-fiction than fiction in the last week and a half.

You really don't want to know what I have been writing... Srsly. There may be an uprising when I finally post my massive comparison of S*** T*** to real life...

Oh, and a certain someone (who shall remain nameless) does not know what filk is. I am restraining myself from directing this individual to nerdcore, as the revelation of the existence of two forms of music which are inherently geeky may result in cranial explosion. :D

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
'Morning, Cantina!! How is everyone this morning?

*sigh* I don't know how I'm feeling about writing right now. I can't tell if I should take a break or write fan fiction(I wouldn't really know what fandom) or just power through this feeling that I feel. I can't even really describe what I feel right; it feels like part tiredness and part frustration or something else. I mean I didn't really take a break after Camp Nano. I told myself and I kind of kept writing, may not at the same amount, but writing nonetheless. Maybe that's coming to bite me in the butt now. Haha.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an international bike race is Poland after the tour de France? I wonder if highlights will be online...

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Somehow I got tagged on a Twitter conversation where I disagree with everything the people are saying. Really quite painful. Particularly as they make assumptions about YA authors, their deals, etc. It made me feel icky, so I came to the Cantina for to refresh. :D

Tour de france, why must you start at 10pm and go on past midnight.:e2yawn: ->:e2thud:- >:sleepy: ->:e2bouncey

Night all :)

It starts at 4 a.m. here. Husband records it, then watches when he gets up in the morning before work. (Which is good, since he runs a bicycle shop.) I'm not really into it, but I tend to read while husband is watching it. Rather excited to see what Peter Sagan can do. (He showed lots of promise in Tour de Suisse.)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Darn sneaky POV. ;)

Haha. I have been having this same problem lately. I'm trying something in third for the first time and when I get going I slip back into first. Editing will be fun. :rolleyes:

Do you think your story will work better as a first person?

Ohhhh. Yeah. That.

Sometimes one POV or another is necessary for the story you want to tell. I discovered this after finishing a 95K novel. You can't find/replace "she/he" in a story with more than two characters, it turns out. :(

Yeah, I think this story will benefit from being in the proper POV. I just didn't want another 1st person investigator Urban Fantasy. I don't think my reasons were true to the story.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Somehow I got tagged on a Twitter conversation where I disagree with everything the people are saying. Really quite painful. Particularly as they make assumptions about YA authors, their deals, etc. It made me feel icky, so I came to the Cantina for to refresh. :D

Ah, man. I'm sorry that happened. That sucks. *gives cookie*

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Good morning!

For some reason, I am feeling overwhelmed by my to-do list today. It's not significantly different than before, though.

Maybe I need curry...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Um, can we not discuss fictive output?

:eek:

So that's a yes.

My take on the trend (and art history peeps can sit staring at this thought, shaking their head and crying all they want) is that we can lay the blame squarely on Brando and James Dean.

:Wha:

*shakes head and cries*

Michelangelo's David isn't smiling, either. Of course, he has reasons to be unhappy.

Oh, and a certain someone (who shall remain nameless) does not know what filk is.

... I confess you've lost me with that one, too.

:idea:

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
After watching The Woman in Black and seeing Linkara's quick looks at the Amityville movies, I'm kind of in the mood to write a haunted house story, but have no real ideas. Plus horror writing really isn't my strong point.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I wanted to poke him in the stomach to make him smile.

Bahahahahaha. I might have to have someone do that any one of my ultra-manly characters down the road, it's too epic to pass up.

Someday when I don't suck so much at ultra-manly characters, that is. They came so natural years ago! :cry:

Somebody get the butterfly net, don't let Ace leave!

*gets the giant, enormous, steel-reinforced butterfly net & doesn't let Ace leave*

& I know what filk is... We even had a nerd choir at one point.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.