The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm game. But you might have to break the process down into itty-bitty-baby steps for me. I'm not at all experienced with blogging.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Well, it'd be good to get other people involved too.

So maybe every sunday (if that suits people?) - People go on to their blogs and have post called 'Finish that damn book Sunday' and basically talk about their wip, issues they had etc. and at the end of the post they link to this thread (and if they can to other people's posts). Everyone who posts on sunday also post their blog link on this thread so we can all go see each others and leave comments!

It be good to see if anyone else would be interested though too!!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. We could set a "minimum members" number--say, five?--and not start until we have that many people who want to play along.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah that sounds good. Five people would be great to start with.

Btw something I just cooked up to go with our posts

old-typewriter-with-a-paper1-1.jpg

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Right, I'm going to miss my word count aim for the month again, so I'm joining in here with the aim of pushing myself on with To Recover the Satellites. And I'm definitely interested in a weekly update post on my blog - in fact I'm going to backdate a post today with my overall aims.

That is a minimum of 300 new words a day, before I start editing, plotting or mucking about on Facebook.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. My friend drove several hundred miles to surprise me, manuscript in tow, and then sat and watched while I typed over a thousand words. He'd still be here if I didn't have to take the kids to soccer.

The good news is, I've met my goal for my manuscript and for his today. And I'm enjoying reading his story--it's rather fascinating.

The bad news is, I wasn't expecting to be doing this so soon, and the stack of papers makes his ms look much longer than I'd originally been told.

New Totals:
Tree: 719
An Angel's Apprentice: 7,004 words of 137 handwritten pages

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
I went ahead and added another ticker for another unfinished work, Septimo Cielo III, because I am going to delete the ticker for Jencarlos II within the next few days because I expect to finish that this week, before Sept. 30 to be exact so I can start completely-blank, except for the title page, Jencarlos III. Good luck, everyone! I am not going to continue Septimo Cielo III until I finish Jencarlos IV because the Jencarlos series is longer than I expected. So far I think it's going to be six books, but then again I am not going to be the first one to do that, am I? Clues: Left Behind and Harry Potter.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm done! I've been following this thread, but I was always too scared to post, because I was afraid I'd jinx it. But... my YA fantasy novel clocks in at 58k. Which is a bit short, especially for a fantasy, but I realised it wasn't going to be very long at the 30k mark.

Now to put it aside for a while so I'll see it with a fresh eye for editing/rewrites. Harder than it looks, because going back straight away is so tempting. But yay, one major hurdle overcome!

Keep up the good work, guys!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
An Angel's Apprentice: 8,038. That's just over 1,000 transcribed for the day, so my goal is MET. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Alright my attempt at finishing the damn novel is not going so well. As mentioned earlier, I have hit a wall, one that I just cannot seem to scale or smash through. I am re-reading the last few chapters today (not editing however) and seeing if I can figure out where I went wrong and get back on track.
Goal for today Re-read 4 chapters (about the point where things went downhill)
and then at the very least 100words tonight.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sometimes Alisha, you can't force things because it'll only make it worse. My advice is step away from your WIP for a while and work on something else or just take break completely.

If that doesn't work, then my advice is take over your novel with an interested but non writery friend who you can discuss ideas with. I've been through this loads of time - and I always find leaving it alone to be best idea because then it will just come to you!

Another idea is think of the ending or scene you're really excited and write that, and around it - no reason you have to write in order!

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Sometimes Alisha, you can't force things because it'll only make it worse. My advice is step away from your WIP for a while and work on something else or just take break completely.

If that doesn't work, then my advice is take over your novel with an interested but non writery friend who you can discuss ideas with. I've been through this loads of time - and I always find leaving it alone to be best idea because then it will just come to you!

Another idea is think of the ending or scene you're really excited and write that, and around it - no reason you have to write in order!

Thanks for the advice, I've stepped away for about a week so I think the rereading of a few chapters might help. I am strict on the idea that I cannot work on anything else lol I have problems with that and it usually ends up with a few unfinished novels. Though, I do not see anything wrong with working on another scene from the novel, one that I already have planned out. I might try that and work backwards so to speak.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I always just type in blue This needs to happen, and X needs to meet Y or something like that, and then move on.

But that's for when you have block concerning a particular scene. If the entire story seems to be grinding to a halt, it might be because there's something going wrong, plot-wise.

Sometimes, one little scene going "off" creates a small fissure in your narrative that grows over time until, finally, it's so big that the whole thing crumbles.

If it feels like that's the case, then your only recourse is to spot that fissure and get to patching!

A day or two of brainstorming couldn't hurt--just don't limit yourself to your current narrative. If something needs to change, feel free to go back and change it, even if it's something major.

And good luck!

lizzieday

Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree with your plot-wise "problem" comment Monkey. I have a WIP that sat for months with a plot problem. When I finally decided that central conflict issue it freed up the entire narrative and luckily sped the whole thing up quite a bit.
Alisha - you might want to really focus on what the central conflict actually is and how the character plan to attack it. I know that sounds like an over simplification but if that is clear then the actions should clarify themselves as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.