The Finish the Damn Book Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii, those are very large daily numbers. Wow!

Oops, I realized in my excitement I didn't phrase myself very well.

What I meant was that day I wrote 300 words so far, but was aiming to do another 800 to bring my total word count to 4,000....

So it was just over 1000 for the day, 4000 so far for my new WIP.

Sorry for the confusion.

I got another 600 in today. Not bad for a busy school day :) I also completed 2 lesson plans, got photocopying done, and taught four classes. I'm pretty happy with myself, but want to bring that daily number up to 1000 everyday :)

Last edited:

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome G.Collins and Nick Rolynd!

Good going, everybody and very nice, Tepelus!

After a few days of not writing, wrote about 900 words tonight and feeling damn good. I passed 60k. Can't believe it!

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats everyone!
I'm very happy too because yesterday I wrote over 1000 words :D I love it!

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Way to go, Andra!

Good job, dancing-drama!

For me, only about 250 words last night, but progress is progress. I need to not wait until 10 at night to start writing because by then I'm too tired to write and come out with tiny word counts. Must break bad habit. Or unplug internet. Probably unplug internet. :p

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
Great job, Andra and Dancing Drama!
Tepelus, Mondays nights are usually pretty unproductive for me and I blame the TV for that - The Voice and Smash. By the time they're over it's 11pm and I'm usually nodding over the keyboard. :p

+500

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Nice progress, everyone.

I'm only 5,000 words in (out of 100,000-120,000) but I've technically done a lot more with the editing and the cutting and the revising and the editing again.

HannahLovely

Registered
Reaction score
The TARDIS parked at Hogwarts inside Narnia.
Hello everyone! I'm joining this challenge, I need something to keep me on track.

Repatriated

Current word count: 2,396
Goal: 1,000 words a day.

My problem is simply sticking with a story. I write the beginning and then inspiration just fizzles out. Happens with all my editing attempts, too. So here's to getting this first draft done by the end of April!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with how it's going again :)

Yesterday I did 800 words (getting so close to 1000 a day!)

Today, I wrote 1,005 words! My total is now just over 7000. I'm really excited.

I can't believe how quickly this is going, especially compared to the last book I tried to write. I'm pretty sure I took 5 months to get 10,000 words on that one. I'll probably be caught up to that by the end of the weekend.

The difference really is in the outline. I spend no time worrying about what should come next and I just do it. It's rough, but it's a first draft so I'm happy :)

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
Hannah, this is my main problem too! I gave up on dozens of my stories. Let's work hard and not give this up OK? This thread has helped me immensely.
dancing-drama,joeyc, Kewii and and Rubay, your progress sound amazing. Keep up the good work guys.
Tepelus, definitely unplug the internet! have you tried writing on notebooks instead? It's amazing how much progress you can make without the distraction of the internet. I set my phone alarm for an hour and write until it rings. most of the times I can't stop even after an hour. On the pc though, I can only last 30 minutes before the urge to check on forums kicks.

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
wow ^^
This thread made me count the words I wrote yesterday. More than 500 *yay*
I really hope I will be able to do the same tonight.
I got to say that the story I'm working on has been in my head for over ten years... I really HAVE TO write it all down, because I feel like I won't be able to start something new if I don't finish this one first. I really hope this thread will help me :)

Kamyara

the dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds so good! I really wish I could write that many words tonight, but it is not working at all... only 201 words this time because I have to go to bed to get up early and I have only slept 3 hrs last night (I'm staring to realize why it's not working that well as I'm typing this).
Tomorrow will be better ^^

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
1950 words yesterday. Yay me, again! Maybe I'll finish up this chapter tonight.

Awesome job!

I've done just over 500 today, bringing my word count to 7,600

My goal is to get to 10,000 before the weekend is over. It might be hard with all the rugby going on though -_- But I guess you have to make time to write.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Hey everyone! I'm new to this thread, but it's exactly what I need!

I'm currently working on a manuscript titled The Sleeping Kingdom, which is a working title. At the beginning of the week I was 30k/80k, and now I'm at 45k. I wrote 10k on wednesday and 5k on thursday. Yay!

My goal is to finish writing The Sleeping Kingdom manuscript by the end of the month (March 31st to be exact). I also want to finish writing another manuscript, Soul Thief, which is now at 70/85k words.

I'm a bit (read: a lot) ambitious, so I always want to finish writing a paranormal mystery novella, which is now at 3k/30k words, and write another 10k in my Ghostslayer manuscript, which was at 10k/80k at the beginning of the month but is now already at 14k/80k.

Phew! That's quite a lot isn't it? So in short:

• Finish writing The Sleeping Kingdom manuscript. Current Status: 45k/80k words.
  • Finish writing a paranormal mystery novella currenty untitled. Status: 3k/30k words.
  • Finish writing Soul Thief manuscript. Current Status: 70k/85k words.
  • Write 10k in Ghostslayer manuscript. Current Status: 4k/10k written.

HannahLovely

Registered
Reaction score
The TARDIS parked at Hogwarts inside Narnia.
Welcome, Eternalised! That's fantastic that you can work on all that at once. I have a hard time sticking with one manuscript! And there's nothing wrong with being ambitious ;)

Also, the Sleeping Kingdom sounds like an awesome awesome story, just by the title alone.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Good job, Kewii, and welcome to the thread, eternalised. Kamyara, 200 words is better than no words, which is what I actually did yesterday. :( Maybe I'll actually write something today. I have the house to myself this evening and the whole day tomorrow, so I have no excuse to not get something written!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
1430 words tonight. Off to bed. More writing tomorrow. Chapter is becoming longer than anticipated.

That's what's happened to me as well. I used to think I could only really put 1000 words in a scene...that was all I was capable of. I've definitely changed my tune :)

I just finished chapter 3 of my untitled WIP. Yesterday I ended up writing 1,200 word (about 700 after I posted here).

Today I did 300 to finish the chapter.

I still want to get to my goal of 10,000 by the end of the day so I want to do another 1,400.

I'm just a bit sad right now because my character just killed someone and she's not in a good place. It affected me more than I thought it would. I need to work out anyway, so this is a good enough time to pause :)

shayla.mist

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome eternalised! wow, you're amazing! Are you willing to teach me how you manage to write so many words? I barely get 20k into my manuscript and the action has already reached the climax. I really have no idea how to prolong a book this much.
Congrats to everyone, especially Tepelus! You've been working like a madman there!
I didn't write yesterday. I'm having huge problems with my plot already even though I'm only at chapter 2. On the bright side though, I posted a 1000 words little fic on a forum and was overwhelmed by the positive reactions. So... my confidence got a nice little boost :)

Status
Not open for further replies.