Hello From The UK

Aloysius

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm an American who is seriously considering going to the York Literary Fair in early September. My novel is a transatlantic academic satire about an American who spends a year at a Yorkshire university in the 60's. Anyone out there who can give me advice about the fair, what my strategy should be there and how to get the most out of it?

Last edited:

AdamCrisp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i'm in the North East of the UK. Writing my first project right now. Never done anything before. Anyone else here in the North east?

hologram

I'm broken I need repaired!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i'm in the North East of the UK. Writing my first project right now. Never done anything before. Anyone else here in the North east?

Where exactly do you mean by North East?

Old Forge

one light burning for break of day
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, joining from Wiltshire (Yorkshire expat). Looking forward to exploring the forum - question is, where to start?!

Richard

Ailsa

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been on AW for a couple of years but I'm rejoining the madness to help with motivation. And I now live in London, DL Hegel. :)

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Don't live in London, but will be there in the summer. Any possibility of a meet-up? Went to the meet and greet, but it's pretty dead.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, UK people, American popping in from the Fantasy forum looking for someone who has familiarity with Welsh.

Specifically, I want to know if any of them are able to see past my obfuscation of some Welsh words for the place name "Dimwen March". (I didn't exactly try hard.)

(Edit to note: Guess this thread doesn't move fast so if you have a response, rep/pm me)

Last edited:

CAndrewsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, AW newbie here. Would LOVE to connect with some UK-based writers. I'm in Basingstoke!

CAndrewsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, zclesa!
My novel is set mainly in London (and also a city overseas), too. Love Brighton, btw :)
What age range and genre do you write?

Purplesnow

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
I think I am a newbie still, I am in Nottingham : )
But do have someone friends in Basingstoke
Claire

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Cool. I absolutely love when I'm reading something and it refers to somewhere I've lived in London - thank you Martin Amis and Geoff Nicholson, who seem to have hung out where I have fairly often!

I don't know what I write anymore! I just had a short story published in Litro. It's sort of accessible literary fiction for adults - I think.

CAndrewsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Claire, small world isn't it :) what are you working on right now?

Zclesa I know, genres give me a headache! I'm still trying to figure some of them out for myself and where my novel fits. Congrats on your story. I know Litro Mag :)

Purplesnow

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
the place that I work at also has offices in Bassingstoke (through they might have moved)

What am I working on now (haha) my insurance study! I want to write a story that I guess is Crime Thriller but like I said I need to concentrate on my insurance study so I am doing the opposite and procrastinating looking / learning to write a story... (it's complicated) lol

CAndrewsWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I went to school in Berks, grew up in Surrey. Lived in Hants many years (been in Basingstoke 18 months). Moving back next year. We've probably been neighbours. šŸ˜†