About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
rejection

I received a (generic) email while on vacation that I was not going to be considered for the Guide position for which I applied.

I did realize immediately after I applied that my writing sample was probably not specific enough to the topic.

I'm thinking of re-applying w/ a new, targeted writing sample. Any thoughts?

N

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
that was quick
I sent my applic on the 10th of Feb and haven't had a response. Not sure if I'm still being considered. How long did your response take?

I'm thinking of re-applying w/ a new, targeted writing sample. Any thoughts?
Go for it! I think it's a good idea. I think applications need to be highly targeted, both in the writing sample provided and in the qualifications (ie they have to match one of their list of ideal candidates)

Last edited:

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
So! I finished my Prep over a week ago. Can any of you About veterans give me an idea of how long response time is...? Or is it like the Application process, which varies (seeing as how some people heard back after one week and others, like myself, heard back after eight)?

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
i'm only guessing but i think it varies. the heart attacks applicant had to wait a week i think

i still haven't heard back about either topic that i applied for.

not to worry!

Aesposito

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it was about a week to get the big "thanks, but no thanks" for me. I wouldn't get too excited yet, but maybe drop your precepter person a note early next week if you haven't heard anything.....

Oh, and fyi, nothing yet on arrythmias.....

Audrey

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Does any one know if you're likely to hear back sooner if you actually got the job? I heard back in about a day that I was selected to apply for the position... so now that I'm waiting a week, I'm getting edgy.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
several years ago when I applied I heard back quickly that I was selected but Nancy heard back < 2weeks that she wasn't selected so I think it just depends on how the tutor is and their workload.

I'm waiting on a topic I applied for 2 months ago but I hear mental health is undergoing some changes so perhaps that segment is on hold.

No worries. If it happens, it happens

kewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a guide at About.com too.

For me, it took about a week after I applied to find out I was invited to prep. After prep was completed, I was notified within 24 hours that I got the job.

But I know other guides that it took weeks to find out after they completed prep. I think it just depends on how busy the channel editor is, especially if you were in prep at the same time as tons of other candidates.

Good luck to everyone. I really enjoy writing for them.

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a guide at About.com too.

For me, it took about a week after I applied to find out I was invited to prep. After prep was completed, I was notified within 24 hours that I got the job.

But I know other guides that it took weeks to find out after they completed prep. I think it just depends on how busy the channel editor is, especially if you were in prep at the same time as tons of other candidates.

Good luck to everyone. I really enjoy writing for them.

what topic do you write?

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
So! I finished my Prep over a week ago. Can any of you About veterans give me an idea of how long response time is...? Or is it like the Application process, which varies (seeing as how some people heard back after one week and others, like myself, heard back after eight)?

I contacted my Mentor after about a week. It was just after the holidays and they were way behind. It was a few weeks after completing prep that I actually received the "official"word. I'd say if you don't hear anything in a week, drop your mentor a line.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I guess if I don't hear anything this week, I'll follow up.

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear it. :( You applied for SF/F, right? That's a rough topic. I wonder why they won't break it down seperately.

Last edited:

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Thing is, I know the subject so well! I'm queen of all geeks! :D Plus, I write much better than the previous guide >_<

No one seems to be wanting to give me a chance... *sigh*

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
About guides have to tailor their application to their requirements
Perhaps you should re-apply and make sure you have addressed each of the points in their list of requirements for the guide

For example the SF/F guide requirements:
QUALIFICATIONS:

A strong writer with experience in the entertainment industry, ideally a television journalist. We expect the Guide to be proactive about contacting networks and studios to arrange for interviews, photos, etc. It's essential that the Guide for this topic have established contacts (or be able to jump in and establish them quickly).

If you don't meet that criteria then you won't be short-listed...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'm excited because a topic finally came available that I actually know enough about to be a Guide. I applied yesterday, so keep your fingers and toesies crossed for me!

ETA: I got an email this afternoon telling me I start prep on the 27th. Squeeee!

Last edited:

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Thump,
Sorry to hear that. :( Keep plugging away. We all have down times--days, weeks, months... All of a sudden, the dam will burst and you'll be flooded with work. That's the way it seems to happen!
Still waiting to hear about the paintball Guide job here on this end.
Dawn

latoya

Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited because a topic finally came available that I actually know enough about to be a Guide. I applied yesterday, so keep your fingers and toesies crossed for me!

ETA: I got an email this afternoon telling me I start prep on the 27th. Squeeee!
Congrats on making it to prep! My site on Credit/Debt Management just went live last Friday.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Thump:

You might try re-applying to your topice. I plan on it, but have been sick and haven't completed my re-appl.

Congrats to you who have been accepting and/or going live!

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats Patti that was quick!!! What topic are you prepping?

Congrats too to Latoya

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Congrats Patti that was quick!!! What topic are you prepping?

I've been waiting for this to open up for a while: Wicca/Paganism.

I'm impressed with the outline they send you to tell you "here's what we're looking for". It gives me a sort of goal to work towards with the sample articles.

I'll keep y'all posted!

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh that sounds interesting Patti. Good luck with everything

One thing that interests me is the speed for positive responses. Mine must be in the maybe pile LOL

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
My topic is gone from the listing, so I guess that means they chose someone. Be nice if I got a Yes or No quickly. XD

(But if it's gone and I haven't heard anything, I'm kind of hedging my bets towards "No." Still, who knows. I think it only went down a few hours ago--I checked out of curiosity.)

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Hmmm...mine's still up there. And I haven't heard either, Blue. So I don't think we can read anything in to that. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

You know what's wierd? Since our training was over, our guide has been on AIM constantly. I wanted to IM her and say something passive-aggressive, but I resisted. :D (And yes, I know this is a public forum and people can see this, but I'm not that concerned about it in this instance.)
Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.