Book Proposal - Marketing Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliePgh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
juliekcohen.com
In the marketing section of a Book Proposal, is it a bad or good idea to mention that you already have a website in the works dedicated to your work-in-process book? I have a client (I'm copyediting the proposal) who has hired a professaional web designer to create the site for the book. I didn't think including this would be a good idea since a publisher would probably want to be in charge of all marketing. On the other hand, the purpose of the marketing section is to provide any and all items which may help in the marketing process. At this point, the packet is beind prepared to go to an agent and not directly to a publisher. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

maggie2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Unless this author is a nationally known person, the book publisher probably won't be doing much marketing. Additionally, anything that the author can do that helps to promote his/her book is considered a plus by most if not all publishers. Therefore, I would definitely include the information in the marketing section of the proposal.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Book publishers love to see you take the initiative in some marketing efforts. I put my website in the marketing section of my book proposal; I think a website would be considered a plus by a publisher. By all means include it.

PatriciaL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matilijapress.com
The Author Must Promote

Julie,

Maggie is right. Publishers want to know that the author will promote his/her own book. In fact, the marketing section is probably the most important part of a book proposal today. That, and information about your target audience.

So yes, do tell the publisher about the Web site you've built showcasing your new book.

Patricia Fry, President
SPAWN
Author of "The Right Way to Write, Publish and Sell Your Book."
www.matilijapress.com/rightway.html

Status
Not open for further replies.