the former. =)

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
GAR -- how can it be Monday already?
Haupe, thanks for the shout-out. Jo, I repped you about an old homeopathic pain killer for sore teeth -- hope you get in the the dentist ASAP.

Sammy, yay for the sequel.
Kel, good luck with the cleaning (YUCK!)
Blonde, wishing your liver a speedy recovery.
Hugs to anyone I left out.

Haupe, I did read Gone, Girl, and did see the ending coming, but I think I'm suspicious by nature. : )

I am very happy to have found a grass-fed dairy at my farmer's market. Not nearly as delicious as the milk of Ireland and England, but better than anything else I've had in a loooong time. (Also, I am doing my very first ever 'diet' and look out for the cranky girl.)

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
we are headed for 5 year anniversary.

i started the thread in 2008--right after
i got agent bill, i believe. and i was
already on sub.

and here i am all over again. haha!
a lot has happened indeed.

blondie, i can't decide what has been
more drastic--your personal life or your
publishing life. i'm almost inclined to say
the former. =)

2008. Wow.

PURGY FLASHBACK TIME!!! Where were YOU in 2008?

I was still married but recently separated and still working for him, running his television show. I had quit singing entirely, and hadn't found the circus yet. I had just started writing like 6 months earlier, was querying my first book to monumental rejection, and had just started working on something new: a YA novel about a one-eyed girl from the Bronx fighting fairies in Ireland.

It's been a wild ride since then.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5 years ago I had only lived in Kansas city for 9 months. The relationship with psycho ex wasn't destructive yet. It was around that time that I stopped really writing and wouldn't pick it up again for about a year.
Today has been really rough.... Couldn't even make it into work today. Can't focus may go for a walk in a bit.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG...2008? Blond, I can't remember last week! Let alone 5 years ago. I do know I was gaming (WoW) and teaching. The rest, no clue.

I have been working on my website and while I still have some major changes to do once my book comes out, like make a static page and separate out the blog from the author features, this is the look anyway here's what I have so far. Happy to interview any published authors willing to do so. Just rep me.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm all caught up now. Not much news to report, so let's see about 2008...

I had just gotten back from teaching in Japan and started my new job (where I still work). I was convinced I'd go back to school for my PhD and start writing fiction again...this time for adults (I'd only written PB and MG). I didn't go back to school, but I did start writing again. My then boyfriend--now husband--also proposed that year. :D

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score

I started querying a little book called Third Strike on 2/29/08. I immediately got my first full request and my first rejection within 4 days. (Thank you, N@than Br@nsdford. ;) )

I joined Purgatory sometime during my querying tribulations (I was on the first page of comments, if I remember correctly!), and somewhere around the end of July/beginning of August, I sent out the query that would land me Ex-Agent. Signed with him on 9/5 (why do I remember this??? That's part of my brain I will never get back)

Kiddo started 1st grade that fall and turned 6 that October. Somewhere along the way, Ex-Agent changed the name of Third Strike to A Devil in the Details, and the rest is history. ;)

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
2008: I had just started my job-previous-to-the-current-one, and it was sinking in that I HATED it. Mr. Fruit became a selector for YA books at his library and started bringing lots of ARCs home

Result of these two situations: in late 2010, after much dipping into the ARC pile, I started writing fiction for the first time in 15 years.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
DENTAL APPT OBTAINED. Heading out of the house in about five minutes, after I scarf down lunch. (Yes, it's 10 AM, but I'm anticipating not being able to eat for a while...) I'm like oh please, just take my money, fix my tooth please oh please. Dentists are very valuable people. :)

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
In 2008 I was so frustrated about getting nowhere with my writing for so many years that I decided I'd do something crazy and switch from writing adult fiction to kidlit. Wrote WR quickly and went from there. I lurked in purgatory for several months before I ever posted.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, back from our trip, wiped out after long, long train ride and late arrival due to someone dying on the tracks between here and there, adding a few hours to the trip.

I'll have to catch up later. I read a couple pages and was too wiped to rep as you all deserved.

Maryn, who has a mountain of laundry awaiting her attention

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maryn, glad you're back safe and um, o_O on the train issue.

That was the I Will Survive year. Yes, folks, a bad agent IS worse than no agent at all. Kiddos were in Middle School and HS and MR. Lily's solo job was still going strong.

Wowsers, how things have changed. :)

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I was in Arizona and I started writing seriously that year. All because I was listening to this song in the car on a hot July day.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, flashbacks!

In 2008, I had most of a first draft of W!de 0p3n, went to Blue3 Heav3n for the first time, published a couple of short stories (How to Hide Your Heart and The Whale's Lover. I think?). Blue was a puppy.

I wasn't here--not even on AW yet.

That's what I've got.

Also, yay for Sammy's cover!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Dear Gods, I was married in 2008. And still really new in the U.S. and miserable for lots of reasons. Also, I was still writing the first "actual" draft of my dystopian fantasy. Which was terrible. Plain terrible.

Anyway, glad to be where I am now, but yikes...

Also, Fire's bunnehs are hilarious.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the lurve, all.

In 2008- I was in the middle of the long stretch that was the six years it took me to finish the vampire book. I was also working as a temp at the entertainment library at the college I got my degree from.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
671 words at lunch on MBG. Not a lot, but considering I only got to write for about half an hour of my hour lunch, I'll take it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I always find these retrospective questions depressing. :tongue

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
*whacks para with spatula*

think about ms coffee date!

actually--soon after i started thread--i
went to taipei with entire fam.

it's been five years and definitely
time to go back.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely phone call from one of the Vegas area college libraries this morning and I think they will be doing an event for me when I release. Good thoughts out to the universe for me pretty please?

Tas, I haz a jealous cause I so want to get back to writing. I'm getting my ducks in a row though.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
your lives couldn't have been *that*
bad? and they can't be *that* bad now,
can it???? ha

*paddles inkie's bottom*

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm skipping over things like new health issues and graying hair and a hip that reminds me there are things I will never be able to do again. Now I'm putting my rose-colored glasses on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.