Hey guys, could you, y'know, --maybe-- oh, just maybe stop stealing?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
You know, just for a time. I mean, I know you are using federal law and stuff but. . . try to at least provide evidence?

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Friday barred local and state police from using federal law to seize cash, cars and other property without evidence that a crime occurred.

Holder’s action represents the most sweeping check on police power to confiscate personal property since the seizures began three decades ago as part of the war on drugs.

Since 2008, thousands of local and state police agencies have made more than 55,000 seizures of cash and property worth $3 billion under a civil asset forfeiture program at the Justice Department called Equitable Sharing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...7ca058-99d4-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
If you have more money than a federal worker, it's completely their business where you got it from and how you got it. Message received. And it kinda sucks to admit Holder really did do something right this time.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Equitable Sharing. NewSpeak really has arrived.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Sharing is caring, don't you know?
I'm a big fan of sharing, actually. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the sharing economy you'll find on AW. OTOH, Equitable Sharing strikes me as an extremely Orwellian name for a program that seizes cash, cars and other property at the point of a gun, without evidence that a crime occurred.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of sharing, actually. I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of the sharing economy you'll find on AW. OTOH, Equitable Sharing strikes me as an extremely Orwellian name for a program that seizes cash, cars and other property at the point of a gun, without evidence that a crime occurred.

I'm with you (just in case that wasn't clear).;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Technically, the MONEY is arrested, and the crime is too much cash being carried or possessed by one person.

But has any of this money ever been convicted in a court of law?

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere (on a few sites, actually) that troopers will watch for out of state (or country, for visiting Canadians) plates and pull them over and often seize cash just on the pretense of it being drug money related. People can take em to court and all that but unless it's a sizeable amount, people can't be bothered with the out of jurisdiction court hearing.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's about time this got some serious attention. Reason Magazine points out that this is another long-term libertarian issue that's finally found traction in the mainstream.

Best of Reason on Asset Forfeiture: We've Had Your Back for Decades
Attorney General Eric Holder just made the best call of his political career: ending the Department of Justice's Equitable Sharing Program, which incentivized local cops to merrily commit plunder and share the proceeds with the feds. While this move will not end the unconscionable practice of police forfeiture, it's still a praiseworthy step in the right direction.

Reason has been standing up for the little guys whose stuff gets stolen by government thugs for longer than virtually any other journalism outlet (longer than I have been alive, in fact). While no one can deny the excellent work done by The Washington Post and others in recent months to bring this criminal practice the broader attention it deserved, Reason writers—including former staffer Radley Balko, now at WaPost—were among the earliest, most consistent, and most vocal opponents of asset forfeiture.

A bunch more stories on asset forfeiture, some going back decades, at the link.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Oops!

How the Press Exaggerated Holder's Forfeiture Reform
The change leaves untouched the vast majority of loot that state and local agencies get from federal asset grabs.

...something like 86 percent of the loot that state and local law enforcement agencies receive through federal forfeitures will be unaffected by Holder's new policy.
So IOW, this was simply a move to garner some undeserved good press.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere (on a few sites, actually) that troopers will watch for out of state (or country, for visiting Canadians) plates and pull them over and often seize cash just on the pretense of it being drug money related. People can take em to court and all that but unless it's a sizeable amount, people can't be bothered with the out of jurisdiction court hearing.

The New Yorker did a long form piece on it and the entire practice blew my mind. I cannot fathom how such a thing is legal.