Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
IDK, I absolutely cannot work on two things at once, really. Well, I could probably edit two things at once, but first draft? I'd get way too distracted. I have tried before and ended up putting aside one or the other before too long.

Now, I've learned if I'm working on something and another idea keeps hounding me, I keep a separate notebook and just let myself jot down notes for the other project. Whenever I'm ready to come back to it, the notes will help me get back to the mindset I was in at the time I wanted to write it.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
idontknow, that's me, and that's why I'm a hot, slow mess. I don't recommend it, but on the other hand, I haven't given up yet.

Becky, what everyone else is saying re your abilities. I hadn't realized your agent hadn't subbed to smaller presses for you. :( I kind of took that for granted. Honestly, from what I know of you, that route might be a very good fit. If nothing else, you'd gain the experience of being edited and having a roll-out, so you'd approach the next book with a clearer idea about your publishing goals.

Duotrope has gone to paid format. Off the top of my head, I'd think of S0h0 and S0urcebooks for you. B3lle Bridge does WF. They tend to go more Southern, but I thought they were starting a suspense line. The people I know who've published through them were very happy with the attention and care they received.

Other references I know: Jeff H3rman's book.

Doesn't the Writer's D1gest compilation which addresses agents have a publisher's section? (Maybe check your library.)

BTW, forgot to mention when we were talking about platform that Chuck S@mbuchino has a new book out addressing that topic. I haven't read it, but if you comment here, in the next few days, you'll be entered to win a copy. (Said to all of Purgatory, of course.)

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Question: Do you all ever work on two books at the same time? And I don't mean in different stages... Like is it insane to be drafting two books at once? I keep going back and forth between a MG and a YA, and they're having a death match for my attention. Should I just roll with it? I've only written one book before, and for some reason, I didn't have any SNIs during that one.

*raises hand* Half my problem at the moment is dividing my attention between three novels (plus, uh, work - no really, I do it!). One's finished but needs light edits, the other is in the process of a from-scratch rewrite and the third is the one I was whining about *last* week lol.

For me, I eventually have to pick one and go with it, but if you feel like you can manage two at once, go for it :)

eta: Haupe, she did a second round to 2nd tier pubs, but nothing smaller than say, D0rch3ster or Alg0nqu1n.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
And after all those emails, I didn't get the job I applied for.

I'm gonna go sulk.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
((Tasmin))

Thank you for all the replies! I think I will go with the easier one to write first--then start the other one during revisions. Thanks guys!

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((Tasmin))

Thank you for all the replies! I think I will go with the easier one to write first--then start the other one during revisions. Thanks guys!

Late to the party. My brain hurt too much when I tried working on two at once. So I started a different one altogether. :D

((((((Tas)))))) I'm sorry, that really sucks. But there are some other jobs coming up soon, aren't there? Perhaps they have you in mind for one of those?

Idontknowwhatimdoing - I keep meaning to say, I love your avatar. Is it a still from a film?

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
((((((Tasmin))))) That sucks. Sulk away.

I used to try to work on two projects at once, but what always actually happened was that I just switched WIPs. So I don't let myself do it anymore.

Morning folks! I has coffee and doughnuts. I also has sun in my eyes, but you can't have everything (well, you can, but some of the things you won't want).

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, (((((Tas))))))

Becky, I'm now awake, and will toss in that I've been THRILLED with the attention and marketing I've gotten from Henery. So far the entire experience has been lovely. And the book seems to be doing better than I ever dared hope for. When I was shopping for a small press, I looked at their cover art, the number of titles they release in a year (though HP was brand new at the time, and that's definitely going up), the formats they're released in, how they market .... but I'm slightly obsessive with the research. ;)

All of the houses Haupe suggested have great reputations. I've read part of that book and it IS good, and I truly believe there's a home out there for it somewhere. Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

Lily, woot for early kindle books! :D

Need more coffee.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Firedrake - Yeah, they're exploring the idea of creating a new team, and I've already sent an email to the guy in charge, expressing my interest. (kinda like a revenge query, right?)

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Do you all ever work on two books at the same time? And I don't mean in different stages... Like is it insane to be drafting two books at once? I keep going back and forth between a MG and a YA, and they're having a death match for my attention. Should I just roll with it? I've only written one book before, and for some reason, I didn't have any SNIs during that one.

Yup. I work on one individual WIP, and one WIP with a co-writer. Hard stuff.

Becky, I'm now awake, and will toss in that I've been THRILLED with the attention and marketing I've gotten from Henery. So far the entire experience has been lovely. And the book seems to be doing better than I ever dared hope for. When I was shopping for a small press, I looked at their cover art, the number of titles they release in a year (though HP was brand new at the time, and that's definitely going up), the formats they're released in, how they market .... but I'm slightly obsessive with the research. ;)

First, CONGRATS! And second, Henery is such an awesome press. After I won your ARC from them, they sent me a packet of treats (mug, coffee, chocolate) a few weeks later. How cool is that? Really like them, love their covers and books!

(((Tas))) Ugh. That sucks.

I am going to meet a writer-friend who is visiting NYC today. Sadly, I did not get to meet Ink due to miserable stomach bug earlier this week though. Would have been a double-dose. :(

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

tas, that sucks. =( *gives cookie*

IDK, no, i don't work on multiple novels.
my brain can't handle it. ha! not to mention
my novel ideas are limited to one at a time.

amarie, definitely very helpful.
i'd consider small press for this novel
before self-pubbing, but i think it'd have to
be one with a good track record of being ordered
into BN and indies. not that i expect mine to
get into BN, but it is an assurance that they
have been around, have a good warehouse supplier,
and know what they are doing.

that's my stance for now, anyway.

i'd most definitely hire a professional cover
artist and copyeditor for book if self-pub. no editor
probably for first as it's already been seen
by one. i know this will cost probably a few
thousand dollars at least.

i've been having anxiety dreams up the
wazoo. ack!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(((Tas))) *Vamp dust* for RA (Revenge Application)

If any of our published authors would like to do a guest stop on my blog, the numbers are up and people are actually stopping by. I know some of you are already on my guest list, but I'm more than happy to spotlight anyone else who'd like to do an interview. Just PM me.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Sunna - sorry for the expense. stuff like that is NO FUN. Grrr.:(

Idon'tknowwhatImdoing - put me in the camp of cannot work on two things at once. too confusing for my (admittedly already) overloaded brain.:D

{tas}

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
First, CONGRATS! And second, Henery is such an awesome press. After I won your ARC from them, they sent me a packet of treats (mug, coffee, chocolate) a few weeks later. How cool is that? Really like them, love their covers and books!

Thanks! I really am thrilled. I was wondering what to do with marketing just yesterday because I really didn't want to invest another chunk in prizes and such, and got an email from marketing five minutes later about a contest they're staring Monday with REALLY cool prizes. I will put up a link for y'all as soon as I have one. :)

And thank you! It's been one heckuva week. :) Glad you're feeling better.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I really am thrilled. I was wondering what to do with marketing just yesterday because I really didn't want to invest another chunk in prizes and such, and got an email from marketing five minutes later about a contest they're staring Monday with REALLY cool prizes. I will put up a link for y'all as soon as I have one. :)

And thank you! It's been one heckuva week. :) Glad you're feeling better.

You have an awesome publisher!

Tas, good move. Shows initiative too. I'll pop a Neddy in the blender for you.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
I love how you phrased that, Fire. LOL.

Very cool video featuring paper art. Clovia, I think this is up your alley.

Lily, has Duotrope changed appreciably since they went to subscription?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Tas, hugs and good luck!

LW, that's just lovely. So happy for you. :)

Trees are coming down now, so our yard will look fabulously lopsided when I get home tonight. *sigh*

Oh, I have a good Sunna The Dumbass story for you all. So yesterday I had to leave for work in spite of the fact that I had trees down all over my yard and our neighbor's yard. SunnaSis, who knows our neighbors a bit better than us as they have kids of an age, sent me the cell # of the lady of the house and warned me that she was only pretty sure that was it.

My only excuse for what I did then is that I was frazzled, and not at all familiar with the experience of texting a total stranger I was hoping I already sort of knew.

Sunna: Hi, is this [name] from [street]?

Neighbor: What? Who is this?

Sunna: Er, sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right number. Are you [name] from [street] in [town], next to [elementary school]?
Sunna: Sorry to bother you! :) I think my tree fell in your yard this morning and I just wanted to--

Neighbor: WHO IS THIS.

Sunna: I'm your neighbor. I hope, anyway. :) ... did a tree fall in your yard this morning?
Sunna: I think I might have the wrong number, sorry to bother you.

Neighbor: ?????

This incredibly clumsy exchange was made far worse by the fact that her phone was having a problem with emoticons, so she didn't get the two tree-related texts until 5 hours later, after she'd told her husband about it, they'd locked all their doors, and her dad had come over to sit with them.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Wow, Sunna - talk about paranoid :S

Also in the realm of paranoid - today was pajama day in kindergarten, and because it was cold, they were asked to wear regular clothes over their pajamas. I am highly confused as to the details, but I got a phone call from the school guidance counselor just now because somewhere in the logistics of all this, my son showed his butt in class.

Sigh. At least the guidance counselor had a sense of humor about it.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
((Tas)) - and fabulous on contacting the guy in charge of the new team. Fingers crossed for you.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Afternoon team. Recovering from an absolutely huge month, editing just over 1.1 million words in January. I'm hearing the clink-clink of little coins. :D

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i just saw a pod of tiny insect eggs
stuck to our glass door leading out into
the back garden. there were tiny hatchlings
alive as well, and more emerging. i couldn't
tell what they were but they were disgusting.
(eggs about the size of pine of needle.)

i sprayed the whole thing with windex. i hope
it kills them.

sunna, OY!

eta: para, go you! but please do take a break! i think
i've got about 160k to read before mexico retreat next
saturday and that's a lot for me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.