Is "slope" a racist word in the UK? --Television censors say it is

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I've never heard the word in a racist context before. I admit I have sometimes heard the reference to Asians being "slant-eyed" or even "slope-eyed." But the noun "slope" all by itself ... a pure Britishism for sure.

Anyway, some reality TV personality in the UK named Jeremy Clarkson is in hot water right now for using the word "slope" during an episode of Top Gear: Burma. He was referring to a wooden bridge that was hastily built across a river (actually, it was the River Kwai of Hollywood movie fame, so the river is in Asia) during the course of one of the show's episodes. He and another man were standing together in front of the now-completed bridge, and he said the following in reference to it:

"That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it."

And he uttered that exact statement while a man --an Asian man-- was walking across the bridge toward them.

And there's more to the story (there always is). He is still fending off allegations of having used the n-word just last month during filming of a different episode.

Anyway ... I never heard that word before in such a context. But if it is a racist term in the UK, then:

a) he shoulda known better

b) I think I'm going to side with the ruling made by the censors in this case.

This link includes a video of the offending moment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ial-WAS-racist-Ofcom-rules.html#ixzz38nrqOfdU

Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope on the bridge' comment during Burma Top Gear special WAS racist, Ofcom rules

Regulator decided the comment, which was aired in March was racist; Two viewers complained they found the use of the term 'slope' offensive; Ofcom say it was scripted and the BBC 'failed' to check if it could offend; It comes just months after Clarkson was caught in another racism row

by Gemma Mullin -- 28 July 2014

Jeremy Clarkson has breached Ofcom's broadcasting rules over a 'racial' term made on Top Gear Burma special, the TV watchdog ruled today.

The regulator decided the comment, made by the controversial star and aired in March, was offensive.

The ruling comes just three months after Clarkson was caught up in another racism row which prompted him to apologise and he was given a final warning about his behaviour by the BBC....

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid it is a term that I've heard used here in Australia.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
"Slope" is an old term used to derogatorily refer to Asians no matter which country they're from. I've heard it used in recent times as well by some assholes from overseas who've visited Japan, but I digress.

Now, had the Asian gentleman not been on the bridge and Clarkson used the expression he did, then one might be tempted to let it go as he would have been seen as referring to the bend in the bridge. As it was, the man walking toward him was Asian and perhaps Clarkson could use (in his defense) a bad play on words or simply state that he was referring to the shape of the bridge.

Perhaps...but I kind of doubt it.

And if he did indeed utter the 'n' word a while back, then I'd doubt his veracity on anything else he says in the future.

Nah, I changed my mind. He's totally scummy, if y'ask me.

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
It is a racist term in Australia, but it obviously also has legitimate uses so it really depends on context. I would think though if he was referring to the incline of the bridge he would say 'slope of' not 'slope on'.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a very Racist term down here

ETA: Where by "very" I mean "very well-established, well-recognised". Whether Clarkson meant it that way or not, I don't know.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
It's a very Racist term down here

ETA: Where by "very" I mean "very well-established, well-recognised". Whether Clarkson meant it that way or not, I don't know.

I think it can be, depending on the history of the word. The "n" word wouldn't be considered racist if it didn't have the history to back up that claim. If it has the history down there, and in the UK, I think he probably knew what he was saying would be considered racist. Especially considering he caught heat for using a different slur on air recently.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it (U.S.) but probably not since the 1970's.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Never heard the word used in this context. Ever. To me it means slanting, einfach.

Me too, though Australia/NZ is one of the only parts of the English-speaking world I've never been to. Don't remember ever hearing it in the UK when I was there; it's one of those things where it wouldn't even occur to me that it was a derogatory term.

After reading the article (though it IS the Daily Fail ...) FFS, really? If he was looking at the bridge itself, odds are he didn't even notice the person on it at the time. There's enough blatant examples out there; it's a dangerous game to read too much into anything in that context.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I watched the clip and I think it probable that Clarkson knew exactly what he was saying, because "there's a slope on it" is not really the usual way to describe a structure: "it has a slope," "there's an obvious slope to it," "it's sloped" all make far more sense.

That said, it is not a certainty that he was referring to the person.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
After reading the article (though it IS the Daily Fail ...) FFS, really? If he was looking at the bridge itself, odds are he didn't even notice the person on it at the time. There's enough blatant examples out there; it's a dangerous game to read too much into anything in that context.

Clarkson is well known for making dubiously racist and/or offensive comments. It's part of his "humour". I don't believe for a second that he didn't know exactly what he was saying.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
(actually, it was the River Kwai of Hollywood movie fame, so the river is in Asia)

The original bridge over the River Kwai was constructed by slave labour as part of what became known as the Death Railway. About 12,400 Allied prisoners of war and 90,000 (mostly Javanese) labourers were killed during its construction. I think that's how the river's mostly remembered.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard it used as a slur, but international slang words don't always cross borders, so it's possible that something vilely offensive in one hemisphere is just a regular word in another.

However, I would think if he were referring to the bridge or river itself, he would have said "it slopes," rather than the phrasing he chose. One is a noun; one isn't. Much less confusion that way.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of it used as a slur. It must be very awkward teaching Algebra in Australia.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
It's Jeremy Clarkson, what more needs to be said? The guy has a track record of this kind of thing.
He's also ugly enough to stop a clock.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Clarkson's an arsehole - always has been. All mouth and no class. I wish they'd stop giving him air time and publicity.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
UK born and bred, and the first time I'd heard of it as an insult was in the news reports of complaints. I also watched that episode live and it went totally over my head.

I'd also note that the Ofcom investigation was on the basis of two complaints. That possibly indicates that the word is not well-known in that context within the UK.

However:
I don't believe for a second that [Clarkson] didn't know exactly what he was saying.

^ that, all the way.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
UK born and bred, and the first time I'd heard of it as an insult was in the news reports of complaints. I also watched that episode live and it went totally over my head.

I'd also note that the Ofcom investigation was on the basis of two complaints. That possibly indicates that the word is not well-known in that context within the UK.

However:

^ that, all the way.

Agreed. Seems like it's an Australian/Asian insult. He would have known.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I've heard it used in the U.S. plenty of times, but like Fruitbat notes, not so much in recent years. When used to refer to a person, it is most definitely racist.
Yep, back in the 70s I heard slopes and gooks used often and interchangeably by a certain segment to refer to Asians.

Since then, using it in that context has virtually vanished, at least from my experience. Or I just might be hanging around with different kinds of people.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I note the part of the story where Ofcom said "it was scripted."

Don't know if that means the line was in the script, or the line was in the script and set to occur as the individual was on the bridge.

If no one had been on the bridge, would this be a story?