Rejectomancy

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, bad luck, Kd. They've been sending out loads recently, haven't they?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
lol, I was hit with 4 R's in a day, and then a few after. I think it was an April Fool's joke from the editors. I'm ten days behind you guys for ST, but I'll probably be receiving my R from them soon.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
41 day personal R from Shimmer after it was passed up to full editorial board. Liked the writing, but all of them anticipated the ending, leaving them feeling it was too predictable.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
No, Michael! I'd been wondering about your Shimmer status, actually. Very sorry about the R!

But 41 days?? I have to congratulate you on that. That's incredibly close to a sale, AND everyone's antennae will pop up the next time a submission of yours hits their inbox.

When they passed my story up to the board, it only took 3 extra days to get a wonderful personal R from them. I made a small change inspired by a Shimmer comment, and then Shock Totem accepted it.

So I really think kudos are in order here, dear sir.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
A few days ago I noticed that Short Story America had had one of my submissions for a full year. I decided that was long enough, and withdrew that story and another I'd had in submission with them.

In communication with SSA's editor, I find that they have a policy of never rejecting a story. The idea is it'll remain "in the hopper" until it's either accepted, or withdrawn.

I believe he's adopted that policy as a matter of necessity, based on not having any staff, and therefore not being able to deal with his backlog of submissions. From my viewpoint, it makes no sense. I could have tried that story with several other markets during the year I spent fruitlessly waiting for a response from SSA.

(The policy of only responding in the case of acceptance is mentioned on the website now, but I don't think it was a year ago; I just assumed I'd eventually get some sort of response.)

SSA encourages simultaneous submission -- but most of the desirable markets do not, so once you've got a story in their Forever Hopper, it limits what else you can do with it. I think the editor's sincere, but I won't be submitting there again (unless SSA becomes successful enough to hire some staff and start dealing with their submissions in a timely manner). It's hard to see how any writer would be happy with having their story in limbo for an indefinite period.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
1-Day Form R from Clarkesworld.

I should've expected this much, though. I basically took a true/crime mystery from the POV of the killer and called it Psych. Horror.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Lillie, it certainly feels like it. Ah, well. Back to the potential markets log and finishing the two stories I'm currently working on.

Mhaynes, so sorry to hear about the R, but 41 days at Shimmer is amazing! It's obvious that someone enjoyed your story and was fighting for it!

Wordcount, sorry about Clarkesworld. That's a tough nut to crack.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else submit to darker minds? Just found out they announced the TOC March 21st. I heard nothing from them and it didn't say on their site to check their forums for acceptances. grrr

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Four rejections in the last 24 hours. Personal R's from IGMS, Every Day Fiction, Washington Pastime (for a story I was going to withdraw due to their pay policies anyway but didn't get a chance to) and a form R from Scout & Engineer.

A little disheartening to get so many at once, but I was crazy busy at work today (put in 14 hours straight) so I didn't get to dwell on them, which is a good thing. So, Yay for crazy-busy weekends.

Also, my Clarkesworld submission has now been under review for 7 days, which more than makes up for any rejections received.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Here's to all of us rejected:
Rejected W1S1rs Song

Form R from Crazyhorse and Orson Scott Card's Etc. (I really don't care about their: "you're free to submit your story elsewhere" -- thanks for your permission, sir.)

But this one stung: 41-day personal from West Branch ("We read it with interest, several times, but this late in the reading period we have comparatively little editorial room to work with, and we've decided to pass.")
I don't really understand this late in the reading period thing -- does it mean I sent it to late? -- but I guess the bottom line is just they didn't love it ENOUGH. Sucks, my hopes were really up for this is a fine mag.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably about to make a fool of myself.

Do all magazines send rejections over weekends and after work hours? The strangest rejection I've ever gotten was from Washingrton Pastime, waaaaaay after dark. (11:59)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Bad luck on the WB R Goldmund, a weird but encouraging personal. Don't suppose you could repay the favour and tell me how long Crazyhorse had your sub?

Alex - Good luck with CW!!!!

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Four rejections in the last 24 hours. Personal R's from IGMS, Every Day Fiction, Washington Pastime (for a story I was going to withdraw due to their pay policies anyway but didn't get a chance to) and a form R from Scout & Engineer.

Hang in there, Alex. Personals are always a good sign and you have been developing a nice resume of publication credits. Sucky way to go into the weekend, though. :Hug2:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably about to make a fool of myself.

Do all magazines send rejections over weekends and after work hours? The strangest rejection I've ever gotten was from Washingrton Pastime, waaaaaay after dark. (11:59)

Many editors (and especially those of small operations like W.Pastime) are doing this as a hobby, and have full-time jobs. It's not at all unusual for rejections/acceptances to happen over the weekend or late at night. Most of my responses from Every Day Fiction come at around 4am my time (which, to be fair, is 1am for the managing editor).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Just got a rejection from Lightspeed Magazine, in two days. That's an efficient operation.
Heh, same here.

That'll be the last humor submission I send their way, unless I have no where else to sub and feel like shooting a fish in a barrel. Think I'll try F&SF next.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Also, my Clarkesworld submission has now been under review for 7 days, which more than makes up for any rejections received.

Keeping my fingers crossed for that CW submisison, my friend!

And to everyone else, sorry for those Rs. I'm in a holding pattern now of needing to send my fresh Rs back out into the world.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another rejection?! I have had enough of these. I am having trouble sending my stories right back out, because I feel like I need to fix them even if nothing is wrong. I have no problem sending a story out when I finish it, but feel a little different the second time around. Does this happen to any of you?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Gettingby - if you've had enough of rejections I suggest rejectomancy isn't for you. You must learn to love and treasure your rejections. :)

If you've sent your manuscript out 20 times and all have come back with the same comment about a particular part of your story then you should consider changing that part. Otherwise, have faith. Personally I never send a story out if I am not confident it can withstand 20 rejections without me wanting to change it.