The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, Sunna, thanks! I'll add those to my to-read list.

Xiao, no I haven't! That's been on my to-read list for a very long time. One of my old crit partners told me about it and I just haven't gotten to it for whatever reason. I'm going to bump it up the list. : )

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
(((Kiahanna)))

Seconding the A.S. Byatt/Possession recommendation. One of my all-time favorites.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
Wooo new thread! Now to pick out some nice curtains to put up...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Oh goody, a new thread. :)

Only a snake on Saturdays - for some reason that strikes me as particularly hilarious. Like a menstruation, only worse. ;) I've been pulling out some of my old fairy tale books to read with Sharkbite... it's kind of depressing to realize how many of these stories seem like thinly-veiled allegories about death. Like Sleeping Beauty... young girl appears to be dead, but no, she is not dead, just sleeping for a hundred years while her mother and father ride away and go make a life elsewhere. Someday in the future her prince will come and wake her up and they will live happily ever after... yeah... that's it...

Kia - Like everyone else said, hang in there. It's gonna be rough, but it will get better!!!

I had to go give a little bit of blood for some pregnancy tests this morning, but I had to pick up the paperwork first. So I go up to the counter, nobody else there but me and the receptionist... and the receptionist is on the phone with a personal call, crying. It was totally too late to turn around and come back later and she put the call on hold immediately and was like, "I'm sorry." I said, "No, I'm sorry..." I got my paper and left since that seemed to be what she wanted but I felt really bad for her and wished I could have done more. :(

Me, I think I'm on the mend. Still filled with mucous, but at least upright. :)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
Okay, so my full was just rejected. She did have a couple comments for me. Hmm.

wow. she read it fast.
*hugs* so sorry about the pass.
but the fact that she responded so
quickly is a great thing.

what did you think of her comments, shveta?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That's better than the Italian version, where the prince finds her and... shall we say... gets her pregnant. She wakes up when the twins are born. :Wha:

Also, the Grimm version of Cinderella has a much more take-charge MC. No weeping in the corner, waiting for her fairy godmother to do everything for her. It does, however, end with birds pecking out the eyes of both stepsisters.

Jo, that poor receptionist. I remember waiting for a blood draw once and the receptionist was taking forever on the phone, talking and talking, and I was getting more an more annoyed. Until I realized she was fighting with a school nurse to get her kid with CF some decent care and accommodation. Then I slapped myself several times.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i believe it was kelly 1ink who told us
of a version of snow white where the prince
was basically performing necrophilia and
the mom was like, leave that corpse alone, boy.

haha!

(sorry, it's so macabre how can you NOT laugh.)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Also, the Grimm version of Cinderella has a much more take-charge MC. No weeping in the corner, waiting for her fairy godmother to do everything for her. It does, however, end with birds pecking out the eyes of both stepsisters.

Yeah - I need to invest in some more of the original ones. We have the Andersen version of the Little Mermaid, which I love.

i believe it was kelly 1ink who told us
of a version of snow white where the prince
was basically performing necrophilia and
the mom was like, leave that corpse alone, boy.

...Okay, but probably not that one. Hahaha!

The funny thing is how, uh... absolute everything is in these. Like, in Rumplestiltskin the king is all, "Spin this straw into silk for me or else I'll have you killed!" Day two - "Spin this straw into silk or you will die!" Day three - "Spin this straw into silk or you will die! Oh, but if you do it, you can marry me and be my queen." Next day, "Hooray! I won't kill you after all! Let's get married and live happily ever after!" Ummmm... :crazy:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Traditional fairy tales aren't really for the young. I was totally traumatized by Little Red Riding Hood for a couple of years, convinced there was a wolf hiding in my closet every night.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In the... Grimm version?...of Rumplestiltskin, it's the Queen Mum who gives her the ultimatums and the prince just does what momma says.

I have several fairytale books from different countries. I love all the version differences.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lily pie, i'm not sure.
it was part of her Sirens Con speech.

but the prince kept the body of the
princess in her glass casket in his room
and admired her pale beauty every day.

Cake

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely love the old versions of fairytales, especially the ones not everyone knows like Snow White and Rose Red and the Red Shoes and The Girl Who the Wind Loved. But yep, not for the kids. In the red shoes one the girl dances until her feet bleed and she begs someone to chop them off.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In one of the most anger-inducing (for me) Abjornsen & Moe Norse tales, the prince keeps a stone next to his bed that tells the truth about whoever steps on it. He wants to marry a princess, and they sleep together (one assumes the active version of sleeping together). In the morning, when the poor broad steps on the stone, it announces she's had 3 kids. The prince kicks her out. The next princess (there were a lot of 'em, apparently) has had 6 kids, the next one 9. Meanwhile, the local goose-girl passes by the prince's window every day, and says she's fated to marry him. He scoffs at this. Finally, after giving up on finding a princess who's a virgin (ignoring that he's already slept with all the available ones before deciding!), he invites the goose-girl to his room. Except she steps on the stone *before* hopping into the sack, and the stone announces she's a virgin, so the prince marries her. I personally would have taken that stone and maimed His Royal Asshatness with it, and returned to the peasant's life.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
A new thread!

Rosie!

Elisabetta!

Know what I love best about a new thread? It brings everyone out of hiding. :D

(((Kia))) that just well and truly sucks. I hope it improves soon.

(((Shveta))) so now you have to decide if you agree with her suggestions. :)

I am up to my ears in publicity stuff, which is lots of fun, but some serious time-consuming work. FIVE MORE DAYS! For anyone who didn't see on FB, I got my author copies yesterday and they're beautiful! The red shoes on the cover pop like nobody's business. It's a real, really real, real-life book! OMG!

I also opened my email this morning to find a contract for a novella I haven't even written yet. It's for an anthology, and we'd pitched it to the editor and she loved the idea, but my brain is boggled, after YEARS of querying, to have a contract for something I've not yet started. Holy crap. I will have an official announcement once it's all signed and sealed, but I was excited and flabbergasted, and had to share with y'all. :)

Happy Thursday, y'all! Get well vibes to all our sick purgs!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Woohooo LynDee!!!! Can you rep? Who is the "we"?

Hugs, Shveta. Valuable feedback, or just something to file away?

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Things mysteriously threw themselves at me all day today. The biggest being one of those heavy metal binder clips..which narrowly missed my head.

Of course no one knows anything about any of it...

I don't know what to say really...

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Kiahanna, your coworkers are throwing things at you? How incredibly dangerous and toxic -- it's shocking that adults would act like that. I'd be appalled if children did.

I think you should report it and if it continues, you should leave and file a legal complaint. That's assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.