Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Welcome to the AW SF/F book club! For the month of March we will be discussing Servant of the Underworld: Obsidian and Blood.

Spoilers will be streaking naked through this thread. You have been warned!

Here are the previous book studies. Please feel free to revive any of these threads if you want to talk about any of the previous books.

2008:
Ender's Game (August)
Lies of Locke Lamora (September)
A Deepness in the Sky (October)
A Fire in the Deep (November)
Storm Front (December)

2009:
I Am Legend (January)
The Onion Girl (February)
Lord of Light (March)
Small Gods (April)
Beggars in Spain (May)
The Once and Future King (June)
Foundation (July)
The Graveyard Book (August)
Neuromancer (September)
The Last Wish (October)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (November)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (December)

2010:
Battle Royale (January)
Jhereg (February)
Cyberabad Days (March)
Tigana (April)
Next (May)
Perdido Street Station (June/July)
Boneshaker (August)
His Majesty's Dragon (September)
Never Let Me Go (October)
The Child Thief (November)
Solaris (December)

2011:
Lirael (January)
Blindsight(February)
Lavinia (March)
Hugo nominees (April)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (May)
Dawn (June)
Good Omens (July)
The Hunger Games (August)
The Last Unicorn (September)
Ubik (October)
The Colour of Magic (November)
The Caves of Steel (December)

The Princess Bride (January)
The Prestige (February)

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
Just got my copy as well. I won't be able to start reading right away, but I'm just glad to be able to participate in another one of these.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm not quite halfway through, but I'm really liking this. I really like the world-building. All I knew about the Aztecs pretty much comes from pop-culture, so while I could picture the setting I had very little idea about what the social structure was like. Not only does De Bodard have to fill us in about the culture, but she also has to explain the magical system the characters use. She does a great job with both.

Also, the Wind of Knives is a really cool concept for a god/character.

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the book last night.

I was overwhelmed by the characters. In one way, they are quite well-done with the regalia and the way they are described, on the other... I had a hard time remembering/keeping track of who they were "as people" (their goals, personalities). But that didn't keep me from enjoying it, in fact I dare say this made it easier for the plot twists to keep surprising me.

I read the Kindle version and I'm really disappointed by how poor the formatting was. All the way through. Missing punctuation and spaces, random line breaks, blank pages in strange places, and odd justifications. I guess what surprised me here was that AR seems like they have their stuff together, so a badly-formatted book from this publisher was an eye-boggle.

Back to the story: The "what really happened to those murdered people" was awesome. Enjoyed that twist!

Ian Isaro

Registered
Reaction score
As a whole, I enjoyed this book and I plan to pursue the next two in the trilogy. The combination of mystery elements and the setting kept things interesting throughout and I found the unapologetically high magic world refreshing.

The dialogue frequently felt too informal to me, though, and I wasn't a fan of the lengthy incantations. I'm also not sure how I feel about the protagonist's character arc overall - it didn't really work for me, but he was fine as a vehicle for the story.

I wouldn't mind if more books had notes like that at the end. I always like them for novels set in real time periods and I appreciated the information about the development of the novel as well.

blrude said:
I read the Kindle version and I'm really disappointed by how poor the formatting was. All the way through. Missing punctuation and spaces, random line breaks, blank pages in strange places, and odd justifications. I guess what surprised me here was that AR seems like they have their stuff together, so a badly-formatted book from this publisher was an eye-boggle.
Huh. I read it on Kindle for PC and mine was formatted fine.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Finished this the other day. A really interesting read! I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series, especially with so much of the world building laid out in book one.

I was overwhelmed by the characters. In one way, they are quite well-done with the regalia and the way they are described, on the other... I had a hard time remembering/keeping track of who they were "as people" (their goals, personalities). But that didn't keep me from enjoying it, in fact I dare say this made it easier for the plot twists to keep surprising me.

Yeah, sometimes a character who we had meet once before would pop back up, and I'd have to stop and remember who he was and why he hated so-and-so. I also think the big bad could have been introduced earlier on. I don't mean that he should have been revealed as the bad guy, but I think the main character should have met him at some point before the climax.

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I read it on Kindle for PC and mine was formatted fine.

You know? I'm kind of an idiot. I um, was talking about the second book in the series Harbinger of the Storm. I read Obsidian and Blood in MMPB.

Which means I was rambling on about the wrong book. *sigh*

Though I guess most of what I said still is true enough. I had more trouble in the first book keeping track of who was who. By the second book, I had better expectations for what I was getting into.

And the mystery in both-and how things unfold-is pretty awesome.

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes a character who we had meet once before would pop back up, and I'd have to stop and remember who he was and why he hated so-and-so. I also think the big bad could have been introduced earlier on. I don't mean that he should have been revealed as the bad guy, but I think the main character should have met him at some point before the climax.

I like to see the big bad guy before the final showdown, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.