Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Paper, pen, go. Even if you just outline instead of write.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Paper, pen, go. Even if you just outline instead of write.

It occurred to me that I could work on a blog post in email. :)

Physical writing, sadly, cramps my hand. :(

But I'll do something productive. I just wanted to work on my SS story.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina! Tired as usual. The power went out some time last night, and if not for my mom, I wouldn't have gotten up for work. So hai five to my mother for keeping my punctual, though I did go about 75 mph the whole way there.

ION: I nearly got into an accident coming home from work. Some a-hole from New Jersey decided he didn't want to yield while coming on to the highway. I had to slam on my breaks. The scariest part? I don't even think the guy saw me until I laid the horn on him.

cameomac

Geek girl since 1977
Registered
Reaction score
I wound up missing you all, taking care of my poor wife while she had the flu, moving in a roommate, throwing a party for my 7 year old during which the police had to be called.

Hope your wife feels better. Now about those police...

I love how the frost on the windows in the morning creates such beautiful patterns.

I'm going to spend the next half-hour trying to get a good picture of it for my desktop. :D

Addendum: The pretty of the ice window:

icewindow_zpsb232190f.jpg

It looks like an alien landscape. I want to go there.

I nearly got into an accident coming home from work. Some a-hole from New Jersey decided he didn't want to yield while coming on to the highway. I had to slam on my breaks. The scariest part? I don't even think the guy saw me until I laid the horn on him.

Glad you're okay.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Raven. :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, good morning, peaches. What is happening?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
There's a parade in DC, which is confusing because our team got knocked out of the playoffs last week.

May have to research this more....

Is it to celebrate the revamping and mass deployment of the Furbie?

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, good morning, peaches. What is happening?

Editing words.... for work (condensing/reworking company history... very exciting stuff). The process is both more and less painful than editing my fiction. More so because whoever did the original was painfully verbose. Less so because there are none of my darlings to kill. Just another's trite verbiage. *breaks out machete* Let's do this.

ION: I learned this morning that a handful of people hear "indie author" and think small press. I was not one of those people. Not sure why one wouldn't consider that traditional publishing via a small press. Regardless, apparently it's a thing.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
ION: I learned this morning that a handful of people hear "indie author" and think small press. I was not one of those people. Not sure why one wouldn't consider that traditional publishing via a small press. Regardless, apparently it's a thing.

I wonder whether it's them attempting to "conjugate" a title for an author working with a small - or independent - press, or willful ignorance? Judging from what I know of humankind, it's most likely the latter.

I am a happy Mommy. :)

That is all.

:)

Nice! :)

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I wonder whether it's them attempting to "conjugate" a title for an author working with a small - or independent - press, or willful ignorance? Judging from what I know of humankind, it's most likely the latter.

Maybe. What's odd is if these authors see it as "independent press" for the indie component, then why ask me if "indie" is the same as "self-published" for review policy purposes. I'm polite and don't respond with "Well, did you publish your book yourself or did someone else do it?" Cattiness gets me nowhere in this situation. About a quarter of the people asking that question are with small presses, the others are all self-published. I guess that means the term has lost clarity. :Shrug:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

Before KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing), independent publishers (indie publishers) were non-big 6 publishers (that is, they were independent from conglomerate corporate publishers). So for SF/F, Pyr is an indie publisher. So is Subterranean Press and Nightshade Books.

When KDP became a big thing, rather than call themselves self published, some people using KDP to self publish their works started using the terms indie publishing and indie author to get around the stigma attached to self publishing.

So now, sometimes indie author means "self published" and sometimes it means "trade published by a small or medium-sized publisher".

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The stigma of self-publishing is strange... As is the sneering some places have towards indie publishers - not that I am brave enough to spend much time in the SP part of the board. There has, traditionally, been much more innovation outside of the larger companies (though some of those innovations have gone from being quirky selling points, to being annoying promotional techniques which ought to be forgotten by all).

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe. What's odd is if these authors see it as "independent press" for the indie component, then why ask me if "indie" is the same as "self-published" for review policy purposes. I'm polite and don't respond with "Well, did you publish your book yourself or did someone else do it?" Cattiness gets me nowhere in this situation. About a quarter of the people asking that question are with small presses, the others are all self-published. I guess that means the term has lost clarity. :Shrug:

Honestly, I don't think that a lot of folks understand that self-publishing through a program is different from getting a contract with a publisher.

Cattiness doesn't get you anywhere, unfortunately, and even if you make the distinction 1000% clear on your site, people will still ask questions.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Before KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing), independent publishers (indie publishers) were non-big 6 publishers (that is, they were independent from conglomerate corporate publishers). So for SF/F, Pyr is an indie publisher. So is Subterranean Press and Nightshade Books.

When KDP became a big thing, rather than call themselves self published, some people using KDP to self publish their works started using the terms indie publishing and indie author to get around the stigma attached to self publishing.

So now, sometimes indie author means "self published" and sometimes it means "trade published by a small or medium-sized publisher".

True. For some reason, I hear more people use indie when they mean self-published. But you're right, for accuracy's sake it is more of the non-big six.

The stigma of self-publishing is strange... As is the sneering some places have towards indie publishers - not that I am brave enough to spend much time in the SP part of the board. There has, traditionally, been much more innovation outside of the larger companies (though some of those innovations have gone from being quirky selling points, to being annoying promotional techniques which ought to be forgotten by all).

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was against self-publishing. I think there's been a lot of growth there and potential for industry-wide innovation as a result. However, I get around 100 review request pitches a week after putting up the "I don't review self-published books, if I'm not familiar with the author" note. It's not about saying those authors can't be talented, it's about needing a gatekeeper to help me narrow the scope. For me, it's about time management. I do, however, happily take stuff from smaller presses.

Status
Not open for further replies.