CHOOSING AN EDITOR: A RUSH (OR RASH) DECISION

Noman

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Fresh eyes

It's not a matter of learning the craft, I can write and edit just fine. But it's just my eyes, close to the work. I need someone impartial to stand back and look from a fresh angle to make my work as good as it can be.

Jeff, when I attended art school there was a saying that the profs used: "Look at it with fresh eyes." It worked well at the time, but the written word is another beast entirely. You're immersed in the work for days at a time. I agree that another set (or other sets) of eyes is enormously helpful.

Noman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I shared that. It seems to have catalyzed quite a reaction and tells us what/who's out there reviewing out manuscripts. BTW, it was Etopia press.
Since my posting about Etopia, I've had contact with them. I believe the reactions expressed were solely the position of one editor and not representative of the company as a whole. A number of others have posted favorable interactions with them.

Noman

Registered
Reaction score
Noman,

Did you read response 51? P&E does not recommend Etopia because they are hearing bad things about them. ;)
Susan, I'm aware of what P&E says. I'm only dealing here with one editor, not the agency as a whole. I only have personal knowledge of the former, not the latter.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Noman

Noman, your email you sent me is not accepting mail. Just thought you might want to know in case you miss something important.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
P&E only lists publishers as "not recommended" if they have good reasons to do so.

However, we're not really discussiong P&E or Etopia here, so I suggest we move on.

Noman

Registered
Reaction score
Caution: Editorial Freelance Association does not vet its stable of editors.