• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I want to do a particular pov but need some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
While I finish up my first book of my series, I came up with another idea and started writing it. I usually write in third person, but my character switched it on me to first person.

However, I then got an idea for a psychic character, but I don't want to switch from first to third POV.

I am thinking to keep the first POV but with each chapter switch to another character and write in their pov, first person.

So...the chapters would go like

Jane

John

Luke

Helena

you see what I mean? but it'd all be in first but from their POV.

Would this become confusing to people? should I go with the normal third/first format? (which I have done before)

I'm actually rather fond of this idea but I need to know if it'd be confusing even if I title each chapter with the character's name.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be successful and prevent confusion each of your characters must have a really distinct voice. I personally hate this technique, but other people love it, so as long as you do it well, you should be fine.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read books that used multiple first-person POV, and the danger there is that they absolutely HAVE to sound different. I remember one in particular where I was always having to flip back to the start of the chapters to clarify which character I was reading. Not good.

But if your characters are distinct enough that the reader can put the book down in the middle of a chapter, then pick it up later and know instantly whose POV it's in, then you should be fine.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
You'll probably want to have a very distinct voice and personality for each, and to have each playing a very distinct and essential role in the overall story. The books I've seen that do this will label each chapter or scene (depending where you break pov) with the relevant pov character's name.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys.

I have not read JRR Martin and probably never will. I am thinking about various ways to differentiate the voices. Mostly it'd be syntax and grammar and how people say certain things. Like, adults have a different way of speaking than teenagers and teens don't talk like young children. At least from what I've experienced this is how it works within my own family.

I wonder...should I just go with a first/third? I've read and heard that doing that is lazy but I don't think that technique is. I've used it in a children's book I wrote a while ago and it seems to work fine.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
You'll probably want to have a very distinct voice and personality for each, and to have each playing a very distinct and essential role in the overall story. The books I've seen that do this will label each chapter or scene (depending where you break pov) with the relevant pov character's name.

That is my plan.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
George R R Martin's 'Game of Thrones' series is famous for doing just this.

Err... ASoIaF is written in third person, while the chapters do start out with character's names, it's not famous for doing so--it's been done many, many times before.

I agree with the others; I'm not the biggest fan of first person to start off with, so jumping into multiple first person (without a very strong framing device) would need a lot of work to accomplish for me to not be confused. Starting the chapter with the character's names is a start, the character's voices and a good grounding in the character's would also be essential IMO.
I've tried this for years, and I ended up writing in multiple third (and fell in love, btw). But that's me.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder...should I just go with a first/third? I've read and heard that doing that is lazy but I don't think that technique is.

Sorry, don't know what you mean by this.

I'll say: It takes a very experienced/knowledgeable writer to pump out a distinctive narrator voice, it takes a greater one to do multiple ones, IMHO. Going with third person is not lazy--many of the challenges you face with multiple first still apply, perhaps even more so--but it's more common to do so since it can be easier on the reader.

I'll also say, choose whatever you like reading in, and what you feel comfortable writing in (though, story can override this, and you can override that). I love third person, and I'm not the biggest fan of first person, so you can already tell what POV I write in most of the time.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Err... ASoIaF is written in third person, while the chapters do start out with character's names, it's not famous for doing so--it's been done many, many times before.

I agree with the others; I'm not the biggest fan of first person to start off with, so jumping into multiple first person (without a very strong framing device) would need a lot of work to accomplish for me to not be confused. Starting the chapter with the character's names is a start, the character's voices and a good grounding in the character's would also be essential IMO.
I've tried this for years, and I ended up writing in multiple third (and fell in love, btw). But that's me.

I've never read the books. I figured that he put the character's name as the chapter title so people knew where they were in the story because he's got such a VAST universe to write in. Mine is very small and takes place in a single town.

It's a pretty simple story too and would only be novella length and it's the third-ish book of my series but a side story at the same time. I dunno. I usually also only write in third person but I felt that maybe an experiment was in order to grow as a writer. I dunno now....

I could make it even more simple by doing the maximum of five characters, or possibly three. I am not entirely sure yet.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
For another book, a more recent one, try The Weight of Blood, by Laura McHugh, which was just released a few months ago. She also uses multiple POV's throughout the book. It's a contemporary or literary work.

And maybe I shouldn't have said Martin is 'famous' for using multiple points of view, but 'well-known' for doing so.

I don't know many other books which are written the same. Perhaps they aren't as common in the genres I like to read. When I read up on multiple pov, Martin is always given as the example. I did a little search and found a few authors who do this, mostly in the category of fantasy.

And I thought I was so well-read in fantasy! :(

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, don't know what you mean by this.

I'll say: It takes a very experienced/knowledgeable writer to pump out a distinctive narrator voice, it takes a greater one to do multiple ones, IMHO. Going with third person is not lazy--many of the challenges you face with multiple first still apply, perhaps even more so--but it's more common to do so since it can be easier on the reader.

I'll also say, choose whatever you like reading in, and what you feel comfortable writing in (though, story can override this, and you can override that). I love third person, and I'm not the biggest fan of first person, so you can already tell what POV I write in most of the time.

I understand what you're saying. I normally stick to third myself. I've experimented in all of them and third is definitely my favorite to write in.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
For another book, a more recent one, try The Weight of Blood, by Laura McHugh, which was just released a few months ago. She also uses multiple POV's throughout the book. It's a contemporary or literary work.

And maybe I shouldn't have said Martin is 'famous' for using multiple points of view, but 'well-known' for doing so.

I don't know many other books which are written the same. Perhaps they aren't as common in the genres I like to read. When I read up on multiple pov, Martin is always given as the example. I did a little search and found a few authors who do this, mostly in the category of fantasy.

And I thought I was so well-read in fantasy! :(

Fantasy is a HUGE genre. I'm not looking to have as many character pov's as Martin. I usually stick to the main two characters and then if I need something for plot I'll do another POV or whatever works for the story.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I get annoyed when an author jumps between two first person POV's, It's hard to make them distinct like others have said. Not just in their speech, but the way they think and view the world needs to be different.

If I picked up a novella with three or more I'd be a lot more than annoyed.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, multiple first-person viewpoint characters can work, but you have to be very skilled at making their voices stand out from one another. In third, you still have to do this to some extent, but it's not as much of an issue because the reader won't be confused.

I've read a book where it's very difficult to tell two first-person narrators apart (Allegiant by Veronica Roth). It almost ruined the book for me.

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, multiple first-person viewpoint characters can work, but you have to be very skilled at making their voices stand out from one another. In third, you still have to do this to some extent, but it's not as much of an issue because the reader won't be confused.

I've read a book where it's very difficult to tell two first-person narrators apart (Allegiant by Veronica Roth). It almost ruined the book for me.

hmmmm....

I'm thinking about scrapping the idea now. I dunno. I'll decide when I go back to work on it.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
If anything it's a good exercise, so continue on if it's something you really want to do. Then later, if it's still not gelling, you can go back and change it to third or scrap it altogether. But I say try it if you want. Maybe you'll be able to make it work.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, too, that certain genres prefer the author stay in one POV while others are just fine with it changing quite often. So what's the right course of action could depend on what it is you're writing.

Maryn, who tends to use one POV per book

briannasealock

Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, too, that certain genres prefer the author stay in one POV while others are just fine with it changing quite often. So what's the right course of action could depend on what it is you're writing.

Maryn, who tends to use one POV per book

I normally stick with one POV too.

Status
Not open for further replies.