Blast From the Past -- Wisconsin family finds fully stocked fallout shelter from 1960's in back yard

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
A local historical society will be showcasing the artifacts in an upcoming educational presentation.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/arti...supplies-story-video-?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

Neenah family discovers fallout shelter full of food, supplies (story, video)

Duke Behnke -- Post-Crescent Media -- May 1, 2013

NEENAH — When Ken Zwick and Carol Hollar-Zwick bought their Neenah home in 1999, they knew the backyard contained an underground fallout shelter built during the height of the Cold War.

What they didn’t know — and wouldn’t discover until they ventured into the shelter more than a decade later — was the bunker was fully stocked with food and survival supplies from 1960 by the previous homeowner.

“We assumed it was just this empty space,” Hollar-Zwick said.

When the Zwicks unlocked the heavy, metal hatch, they found watertight Army surplus boxes floating in 5 feet of water that had seeped into the shelter. The contents of the boxes, though, were in pristine condition....

I totally love Heath Bars. I didn't know they were around back then.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... what amazes me most is that they "knew it was there,"
and didn't so much as take peek for all those years.
Okay. They, "supposed it was empty."
But there was a chance it was not.
They had to consider that.
And yet they did not investigate.
If it was me, I would have within days.
Maybe money might have even been it it.

:eek:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
That was a poorly built shelter if water got in, and they must not have had kids because that would have been the ultimate clubhouse.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I would have been in there the moment I found out about it. No way could I have a space like that, know about it, and not go in it.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
My best friend grew up in Neenah. I went there for her bridal shower. I'll have to ask her about this.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
They had Hawaiian Punch AND Lifesavers!

Awesome.

(Just don't eat the butterscotch).

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally would have checked that bunker out first thing. I'd probably do that before I even start to move my stuff into the house.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
I had no idea people could lack in curiosity to that degree. I'd have been in there the second I had legal ownership of it. Secret hideout, eeee.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
These are probably nice, middle-class Americans who in 1999 never imagined they would need a hidden place of refuge, but who have now joined the 29% mentioned in the other thread, thus prompting them to check out their hidden digs. :D

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was a poorly built shelter if water got in, and they must not have had kids because that would have been the ultimate clubhouse.

No foolin'! Do you know what I would have done to have an underground fort growing up?

Shoot, even now it would be cool to set it up as an efficiency apartment. Solar panels on top for lights and a dehumidifier, and modest heat pump for HVAC. As long as there was plumbing I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
… Shoot, even now it would be cool to set it up as an efficiency apartment. Solar panels on top for lights and a dehumidifier, and modest heat pump for HVAC. As long as there was plumbing I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

… until it started to rain, LOL.

I guess they'll have to figure out where the water's coming in before they can make use of it. I do remember the basement being a nice place to hang out during the summer before we got air-conditioning—so an underground hideaway could be really nice.

everywriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted one of these to write in! Five feet of water is a little much though. I would turn it into an office and fill it with collectables like Ray Bradbury. The downside: no wifi.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I've always wanted one of these to write in! Five feet of water is a little much though. I would turn it into an office and fill it with collectables like Ray Bradbury. The downside: no wifi.
Easy, just run a cable through whatever gap is letting the water in.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wow, how fast times change. I still sometimes catch myself saying I need to "dial up" a certain webpage.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Virtually every web site where this story is being discussed has been echoing the near-exact identical sentiment:

"Why the EFFF did they wait 10 frigging years to go down there? I'd have popped that hatch before the ink even dried on the title transfer!"

And I concur.

I'd have wanted to go down there for two reasons: 1) to satisfy curiosity, and 2) to make sure there were no dead carcasses (animal or human) hidden inside that thing.