Music in Novels

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
My novel "DreemWeever" is a crime thriller, but if there was such a genre as "rock n roll crime thriller" I would call it that. Although it is not about rock-n-roll, music is the only common thread between almost all the characters. Myself, I love "music" in a novel ( too much Stephen King maybe) Below, listed in chronological order are the tunes in one way or another are in it. Even the Black Crowes make a cameo on the today show in one scene. At the end, is an example (give it try if your bored) What's your take on music in a novel? I will tell you that either the opening lyrics or the chorus are made for the particular scene ( like a subliminal message)

“My Favorite Things” The Supremes
“O’ Holy Night”
“Patience” Guns N Roses
“Ventura Highway” America
“Four Kicks” Kings of Leon
“Stellar” Incubus
“Heart Shaped Box” Nirvana
“SoThis is Love” Van Halen
“Magical Mystery Tour” The Beatles
“Evenflow” Pearl Jam
“Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” The Beatles
“Nice to Know You” Incubus
“Dr. FeelGood” Motley Crue
“Rollin” Limp Bizkit
“Catch Us If You Can” Dave Clark Five
“Cats in the Cradle” Harry Chapin
“MoreThan a Feeling” Boston
“That Smell” Lynyrd Skynyrd
“Do It For The Kids” Velvet Revolver
“The Rooster” Alice in Chains
“Californication” The Red Hot Chili Peppers
“The First Cut is the Deepest” Rod Stewart
“My Little Town” Simon & Garfunkel
“Toys in the Attic” Aerosmith
“Love Removal Machine” The Cult
“One” Metallica
“Celebrity Skin” Hole.
“Galaxie” Blind Melon
“Dirty White Boy” Foreigner
“Girl From Ipenema”
“Show Me the Way” Peter Frampton
“Do You Feel Like We Do” Peter Frampton
“Dazed and Confused” Led Zeppelin
“Heartless” Heart
“Straight On” Heart
“Tumbling Dice” The Rolling Stones
“Hard to Handle” Black Crowes
“Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution” Black Crowes
“Double Vision” Foreigner
“Come Sail Away” STYX
“Miss You” The Rolling Stones
“Barracuda” Heart
“Boogie Nights” Heatwave
“Nasty Girl” Vanity Six
“Dancing Queen” ABBA
“The Message” Grand Master Flash
“Sweet Emotion” Aerosmith
“JailBreak” Thin Lizzy
“Sister Christian” Night Ranger
“2000 Light Years From Home” Rolling Stones
“We Gotta Get Out of This Place” The Animals
“Shattered” Rolling Stones
“Hot Legs” Rod Stewart
“What’s Your Name” Lynyrd Skynyrd
“Jump” House of Pain
“Don’t Cry” Guns N’ Roses
“Honky Tonk Woman” Rolling Stones
“Rich Girl” Hall and Oates
“Straight on For You” Heart
“Dreamboat Annie” Heart
“Too Late For Love” Def Leppard
“Beast of Burden” Rolling Stones
“Renegade” STYX
“Get Free” The Vines
“Baby it’s a Wide World” Cat Stevens
“Time of the Season” The Zombies
“Love Hurts” Nazareth
“Knocked Up” Kings of Leon
“Charmer” Kings of Leon
“Death Letter” White Stripes
“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” Elton John
“Mean Streets” Van Halen
“Renegade” Styx
“Descending” Black Crowes
“Bohemian Rhapsody” Queen
“You’re No Good” Linda Ronstadt
“Sunshine of Your Love” Cream
“What’s this Life For” Creed
“My own Prison” Creed
“With Arms Wide Open” Creed
“We Die Young” Alice in Chains
“Midnight From the Inside Out” Black Crowes
“Rock and Roll Fantasy” Bad Company
“Whiskey in a Jar” Metallica
“Sex Type Thing” Stone Temple Pilots
“Highway to Hell” AC/DC
“Insane in the Membrane” Cypress Hill
“Flirtin with Disaster” Molly Hatchet
“I want You to Want Me” Cheap Trick
“Christine Sixteen” KISS

“Ain’t Talking Bout Love” Van Halen
“How I Could Just Kill a Man” Cypress Hill
“Mamakin” Aerosmith
“Dead and Bloated” Stone Temple Pilots
“I’m That Type of Guy” LL Cool J
“Mistral Wind” Heart
“Grind” Alice in Chains
“Train Kept a Rollin” Aerosmith
“Cat Scratch Fever” Ted Nugent
“Let’s Go” The Cars
“Rhiannon” Fleetwood Mac
“Sister Golden Hair” America
“Last Child” Areosmith
“Can’t Stand Losing You” The Police
“Message In A Bottle” The Police
“Canary in a Coal Mine” The Police
“Almost Cut My Hair” Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
“Cinnamon Girl” Neil Young
“Runnin’ With The Devil” Van Halen
“Little Dreamer” Van Halen
“Wicked Garden” Stone Temple Pilots
“Camaro” Kings of Leon
“The Runner” Kings of Leon
“Sucker Train Blues” Velvet Revolver
“You wear it well” Rod Stewart
“Magic Man” Heart
“Midnight at the Oasis” Maria Muldaur
“Dust in the Wind” Kansas
“Skinned” Blind Melon
“Coma” Guns N Roses
“Grind” Alice in Chains
“Break Stuff” Limp Bizkit
“Attention” The Raconteurs
“99 Miles From L.A” Johnny Mathis
“Girl from A Pawnshop” Black Crowes
“You’re Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)” White Stripes
“Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” (Muzak Version )
“Escape” Rupert Holmes
“Sister Do You Know My Name?” White Stripes

Author’s Note

Give it a try it's on Google video
Uncle Tupelo’s version of “Effigy” is playing on my boom box, and the flames coming from the first printed copy of my manuscript, provide a bit of light, but no warmth, on this frigid New England night. As I watch it burn, and listen to the lyrics, I am thinking about the man from New Hampshire that sparked my inspiration for this novel.

Last edited:

Ryan David Jahn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ryandavidjahn.com
I've occasionally mentioned songs or quoted text from other pieces of writing, but never to that extent. I wouldn't want the headache of trying to get all those permissions. That looks like six months of work, full time.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
You do realize you're going to have to get permission to use the lyrics for anything that isn't in the public domain, don't you? And you usually have to pay.

It looks like you are setting yourself up for a colossal, expensive headache. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
I've occasionally mentioned songs or quoted text from other pieces of writing, but never to that extent. I wouldn't want the headache of trying to get all those permissions. That looks like six months of work, full time.

You have to get permission to use a song title? No quoted text, just song name. Same rule applies? I wrote it, knowing that I might have to cut it way down, which is easy enough. Essentially, every song is what helped me write the story, but it's a quick revision. Haven't sent out any queries yet, so I can edit the MS. I'm glad I asked. Peace, W.S

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
Just the title? In that case, I don't know. But I'm sure somebody will come along who does know. I thought you were actually quoting the lyrics.

Phew. (almost) It's all used in the context of IPods, MP3's, CD's, car stereo's, Sirius Satellite... Also, The nature of the device that is central to the story, uses "real life" videos that include music as part of the process to manipulate the victim's minds, if that helps.

Also found this in the AW archives, but would like an absolute confirmation.

Titles are not copyright protected.

You can quote just the title and there is no infringement.

However, if you quote lyrics directly (without paraphrasing) then expect that you'll need clearance from the owner of the song.

Last edited:

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, (I think) titles should be fine. Thought you were quoting first verses and/or choruses. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks. I should have been clearer on my initial post. I just checked out your novel. Sounds like it is right up my alley! Here is what hooked me frrom the reviews.. cinematic tour-de-force... Reads like a Tarantino film. Going to order today. When I started my novel, my #1 goal was to write a story that somehow would read like the movies I love (Ritchie, Taratino, Scorsese...) Great website too. Consider me a fan. Man, thanks for even taking the time to respond to my question, knowing how busy you must be. You are living the life I dream of. Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hijacking the thread...

If I want to put a song in, do I include it in the WIP, or just keep it out and ask my agent when I'm done?

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
If I want to put a song in, do I include it in the WIP, or just keep it out and ask my agent when I'm done?

If it's just one occasion, you're probably OK leaving it in. If there are tons of lyrics throughout the book, and you don't necessarily need them, I'd leave them out because of the aforementioned headaches & expense. I've had some submissions that integrated lots of lyrics where I thought, "Cute gimmick, but it would cost a fortune."

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
Only problem I can see, is that if the songs are kind of integral to the story, well I haven't heard half of them.

Will the story still work if I have no idea who / what you're on about?

Idiot (sorry, no other option, but I love the handle)

I posted a different answer and have removed it. After some self-introspection and a good pep talk (you f'n a-hole, you spent two year's of your life working on me and someone asks you this question, and you fold. You best f'n man up and set this right, or turn in the towel right now) on the ride home from work , I will take my mulligan. The old completed MS self doubt reared it's ugly head.

Yes, music is is an important part of the story, but not so important that the reader has to recognize every song. I believe that the audience it's written for will know a lot of them. Besides that, music is the common thread with almost all the characters and the world they live in. If you have a bad guy who creates a device that uses a combination of video, drugs, and music to manipulate someones mind, music is a requirement. Now that the MS is finshed, I've been able to take a look and some songs are getting cut (I knew this would need to be done from day one).

Curious as to how many songs anyone who reads the list does know and more importantly, how old they are, and what type of books they read. This would help me greatly.

ME
Reading Genre: Thriller / Crime / Horror
Songs Recognized: ALL (even before I started the novel)

Last edited:

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
What I do, (and I got this idea from Vincent Bugliosi in Helter Skelter when Paul McCartney wouldn't give him permission to quote some Beatles songs) is I paraphrase the songs.

So, for Gn'R's Coma you might go something like:
"The song had pounding drums and screaming vocals. It told a story of a life filled with stress, how pleasant an escape a coma could be." ect.

Yes, it's crap but it's just an example.

But if you're just mentioning the title, I think you should be safe.

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
What I do, (and I got this idea from Vincent Bugliosi in Helter Skelter when Paul McCartney wouldn't give him permission to quote some Beatles songs) is I paraphrase the songs.

So, for Gn'R's Coma you might go something like:
"The song had pounding drums and screaming vocals. It told a story of a life filled with stress, how pleasant an escape a coma could be." ect.

Yes, it's crap but it's just an example.

But if you're just mentioning the title, I think you should be safe.

Awesome suggestion. It's been so long since I read "Helter Skelter". It's amazing how much great advice I get here, thanks.

Here's the context it's used in. This one took a while, as I knew the image in my head, but couldn't find the right song for it. One morning (5:00 AM) I'm driving to the gym listening to Use Your Illusion I, and when this track came on. I knew it was right.

“How many discs did you actually watch?”

“Not all of them. I didn’t have the time, or I would have watched all of them. I saw the ones that showed a bunch of stuff about you and Bryce, before and after stuff, like they were documentaries. In one of them, you were on an operating table and Guns N’ Roses is playing “Coma” while a doctor was carving up your face."

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Whilst I have no objection to mentioning songs/singers in novels, yes even ones I haven't heard of, there's always YouTube etc, your list is sooooooo long that I would put the book in the bin, thinking that you only wanted me to know your list of fave songs. In short, methinks you have too many songs spread out through the novel. I always loved Stephen King's novels because of the musical references too, and yes, I do it myself here and there, but only a few songs in each novel. :)

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst I have no objection to mentioning songs/singers in novels, yes even ones I haven't heard of, there's always YouTube etc, your list is sooooooo long that I would put the book in the bin, thinking that you only wanted me to know your list of fave songs. In short, methinks you have too many songs spread out through the novel. I always loved Stephen King's novels because of the musical references too, and yes, I do it myself here and there, but only a few songs in each novel. :)

S.S.
Thanks so much! This is valuable information, and exactly why I posed the question.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've probably heard of about half of those. It wouldn't matter though... the examples you've given sound like you're hinting at the song, then assuming the reader won't get it, so you're giving them the title to Google.

I think it'd be better if it were more subtle. The reader will either get it or they won't. There's no need to name every song referenced.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
You're most welcome Wilhem. You may already do this, as a lot of us writers do, make yourself a playlist of songs to listen to while you're writing, then just use the most significant ones within the actual story itself. On one of my playlists for a novel I have 78 songs, but I only mention around 4 or 5 of them in the whole novel.
S.S.
Thanks so much! This is valuable information, and exactly why I posed the question.

wilhem spihntingle

Registered
Reaction score
You're most welcome Wilhem. You may already do this, as a lot of us writers do, make yourself a playlist of songs to listen to while you're writing, then just use the most significant ones within the actual story itself. On one of my playlists for a novel I have 78 songs, but I only mention around 4 or 5 of them in the whole novel.

SS,

That is exactly what I did, and I am going to revisit and revise. You from the England? I ask because, I'm one of a handful of American's that love and play cricket on a team of guys from UK, S.A, and AUS. The 2005 Ashes hooked me. Always had an idea of a thriller (Lagaan meets the Bad News Bears) Peace!

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'm English and I live in England. Unfortunately I don't share your view on cricket. lol. To be honest, I don't like sports, only boxing and the kinds of Olympics I couldn't talk about on this forum, well, maybe on the erotica one. :D
SS,

That is exactly what I did, and I am going to revisit and revise. You from the England? I ask because, I'm one of a handful of American's that love and play cricket on a team of guys from UK, S.A, and AUS. The 2005 Ashes hooked me. Always had an idea of a thriller (Lagaan meets the Bad News Bears) Peace!

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
A little after the fact. But this is from Circular 1: Copyright Basics, from the United States Copyright Office:

What Is Not Protected by Copyright?
Several categories of material are generally not eligible for
federal copyright protection. These include among others:

• Titles, names, short phrases, and slogans; familiar symbols
or designs; mere variations of typographic ornamentation,
lettering, or coloring; mere listings of ingredients
or contents

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

If it were me I wouldn't leave it there though. You can go to copyright.gov and contact them with specifics. Not difficult.

You should also cross-check and make certain nothing is protected under a Trademark. Which is a separate office.

Should be okay, but Judg is right, headachs are best avoided:)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Titles, you can use. Lyrics you 100% need permission to use.