A Life of Crime and Chocolate

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Zelenka

Ken - that cover looks great!

Sooo since this year has been a year of making an effort to venture outside my comfort zone (something that I have learned is absolutely terrifying to think about but actually a great thing) I'm thinking about joining a local writer's group. Again, absolutely terrified at the prospect of this - I am so super awkward in real life, it's unreal - but I know that it will be a good thing to do. Gonna start going just in time for NaNo - this is huge personal growth for me and, not gonna lie, I am proud of myself for even thinking about doing this :D

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, muse. Yeah, Patti does great work. I'd recommend her to anyone looking for a book cover.

As for the 'next' book, I still have a lot of writing to do. She said she did this to give me incentive. No pressure, right? :tongue

Pressure is good.:poke:

Zelenka, if it's any consolation, your dad sounds exactly like mine. It took me decades to figure out why my father never praised me and always put down anything I did. He was always of the opinion that women belonged in the kitchen (no doubt barefoot and pregnant, too).

I finally figured out that he had very little in the way of formal education and a huge chip on his shoulder because of it - even though, as a career soldier, he rose to the rank of WO1 and was head of Codification and Classification of the entire SA Defence Force. When I went to university (at my own expense) he said, "Education is wasted on a woman" and refused to come to my graduation. When I went back to university and did a second degree (at the age of 38 and as a single parent) and graduated along with my eldest daughter, he did not have one good word to say about it. Seems the more I educated myself, the more threatened he felt. (If he were alive now, I wonder what he'd say about me getting published. LOL!)

I suspect that your dad's inability to see how talented and special you really are, is not because of you but because of some perceptional limitation within himself. You just hang in there and do your own thing and have a great time doing it!! You dad doesn't define you.

And just for the record, Ellery Queens doesn't publish awful stories. They're fussy that way. :D

Well said, Gail. And very well done. Just goes to show what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it.

:Hug2: Zelenka

Ken - that cover looks great!

Sooo since this year has been a year of making an effort to venture outside my comfort zone (something that I have learned is absolutely terrifying to think about but actually a great thing) I'm thinking about joining a local writer's group. Again, absolutely terrified at the prospect of this - I am so super awkward in real life, it's unreal - but I know that it will be a good thing to do. Gonna start going just in time for NaNo - this is huge personal growth for me and, not gonna lie, I am proud of myself for even thinking about doing this :D

Stepping outside your comfort zone is never easy, well done you for doing something about it.:Hug2:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, if it's any consolation, your dad sounds exactly like mine. It took me decades to figure out why my father never praised me and always put down anything I did. He was always of the opinion that women belonged in the kitchen (no doubt barefoot and pregnant, too).

I finally figured out that he had very little in the way of formal education and a huge chip on his shoulder because of it - even though, as a career soldier, he rose to the rank of WO1 and was head of Codification and Classification of the entire SA Defence Force. When I went to university (at my own expense) he said, "Education is wasted on a woman" and refused to come to my graduation. When I went back to university and did a second degree (at the age of 38 and as a single parent) and graduated along with my eldest daughter, he did not have one good word to say about it. Seems the more I educated myself, the more threatened he felt. (If he were alive now, I wonder what he'd say about me getting published. LOL!)

I suspect that your dad's inability to see how talented and special you really are, is not because of you but because of some perceptional limitation within himself. You just hang in there and do your own thing and have a great time doing it!! You dad doesn't define you.

And just for the record, Ellery Queens doesn't publish awful stories. They're fussy that way. :D

My dad hated my going to university too and told me that getting a degree, especially in law, wasn't for girls.

There is a happy ending to the Ellery Queen thing though - a friend at work had borrowed one of my author copies ages ago and I'd assumed I'd never heard about it again because she didn't want to hurt my feelings and hadn't liked it. Turns out she'd tried to delete my Czech phone number and deleted the new UK one instead, so tried to text me to tell me what she thought of the story and the message had gone off into the ether. Turns out she loved it and had really properly read it, from the detail she went into in saying what she liked. It was a real confidence boost! (also served to annoy the misogynist little creep at work who thinks he's better than us all because he's got a masters in English lit and likes to think of himself as the only one capable of achieving anything).

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Hallo! Eyes finally cleared up. Seemed to take ages. Thanks for the get well wishes. I have been told that the play went well, which is good. What is bad is that I have been asked to stand for the committee of the drama group - not that keen on committees.

I hope you are all well - will try to do some catching up later. :)

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear your eyes have cleared up, Shakes.:Hug2: And congrats on the play.

Do you have a choice in standing for the committee?

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Muse, I do have a choice and want to put something back into the group that has given me such pleasure. Just that previous experience of committees is not good - lots of talk talk talk and too little do do do. Some committee members are "without responsibility for anything, except for holding a meeting." I have been told that I have to kick arse. Yeh - OK!

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Shakesbear, I sit on a number of committees for work. One has met for several years now and I can't think of a single thing it has accomplished.

GailD and Zelenka, I'm sorry for that lack of support. My dad's relationship with his mom was less than pleasant. He was fond of saying he loved her but didn't like her much. As Liz said, family is what is chosen for us. Friends are the folks we choose for ourselves. Okay, I totally paraphrased that, but I think that was my dad's philosophy, too.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
We have weekly departmental meetings at work, in which we discuss the fact that we have nothing to discuss as we all confer and discuss stuff as we work and sort out problems as we go, but company policy dictates we have a departmental meeting to discuss this.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL! I am pleased that I am not alone in my feelings about committee meetings.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm sitting in Edinburgh airport, and the child behind me just asked her father for "her iPad".

When I were a lad we had nowt but rusty steel files, and we were grateful [etc... in the vein of Messrs Python]

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Muse, I do have a choice and want to put something back into the group that has given me such pleasure. Just that previous experience of committees is not good - lots of talk talk talk and too little do do do. Some committee members are "without responsibility for anything, except for holding a meeting." I have been told that I have to kick arse. Yeh - OK!

There are other ways of giving back - ones that won't bore you to tears.

Committee meeting: An event where minutes are kept and hours are wasted.

:D

Love it.:D

I'm sitting in Edinburgh airport, and the child behind me just asked her father for "her iPad".

When I were a lad we had nowt but rusty steel files, and we were grateful [etc... in the vein of Messrs Python]

Next you'll be spouting Bah Humbug.:roll:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score

Ecky thump! By Eck!! Y'mean stainless steel 'ad not been thought of?

By . . . what is an eye pad?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
When I was young we had this thing that gave you the total experience of the outdoors. Incredibly realistic landscapes and scenery, authentic smells, and when you fell or banged into something you really felt it. It was called 'Going outside'.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a really nice evening at work yesterday. My colleague and I spent most of our time (don't tell the boss) looking at apartments in Prague. I so hope once this surgery is over that it goes well and I can get back to Prague again. I even found a course I want to do if I get there.

Made the mistake though of mentioning that to my father today and he sneered at me yet again, then when I just said 'forget it then' he accused me of going in the huff and hung up and is now not speaking to me. I was supposed to be going over to spend Christmas with the family but it's looking like I won't be able to now and won't be welcome, so I have to pay my uncle for a Christmas dinner I'm not even getting to eat, so as he isn't out of pocket with me not going. Technically I think dad should pay for my dinner since he's the one in the way of my going but hey, that's not going to happen. And now I have to figure what I'm doing for Christmas.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you, Zelenka. I hope everything works out for you.

When I was young we had this thing that gave you the total experience of the outdoors. Incredibly realistic landscapes and scenery, authentic smells, and when you fell or banged into something you really felt it. It was called 'Going outside'.

Sounds unsanitary.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you a date for your surgery, Zelenka?

Why don't you still go for Christmas dinner? You don't have to talk to you dad.:evil

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka - what Muse said!

It is official - I am now a committee member! One of my responsibilities is the newsletter.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you a date for your surgery, Zelenka?

Why don't you still go for Christmas dinner? You don't have to talk to you dad.:evil

No date as yet. I've to see the general surgeon in January but I've no appointments with the plastic surgery team now. They've said they now have to wait for the general surgeon to request them so it's basically down to her. I've kind of given up hope on it ever happening. Everyone else I've come across has had the reconstruction immediately after the original surgery. Even the plastic surgery registrar I spoke to at my last appointment looked at me weird when I said it was over a year from the op. All they've done so far is put me off and pass the buck between departments. I've been very low priority for some reason and haven't had any of the support systems they said there should be or that I've found out from other patients that there should be, like breast care nurses and all this. I don't know whether the surgery thing, it's because they look at me and think well what does it matter, she's hideous anyway (as one person suggested).

I imagine in January they'll just put me off until July, then til next January etc etc. I thought about trying one of those gofundme things or whatever they are (friend has one to try and get herself a flight to China for a holiday) to raise the money to get the op privately but I don't think I know enough people. I'm just tired of it all and ready to give up I think.

It is official - I am now a committee member! One of my responsibilities is the newsletter.

Congratulations! At least it's writing? Hopefully it'll be fun.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
((((((Zelenka))))))

Yes it is writing and I intend to make it fun :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
*dashes in, hugs everyone, dashes out*

(after asking permission, of course!)

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Whoo-hoo! Enjoy, Shakes.

No date as yet. I've to see the general surgeon in January but I've no appointments with the plastic surgery team now. They've said they now have to wait for the general surgeon to request them so it's basically down to her. I've kind of given up hope on it ever happening. Everyone else I've come across has had the reconstruction immediately after the original surgery. Even the plastic surgery registrar I spoke to at my last appointment looked at me weird when I said it was over a year from the op. All they've done so far is put me off and pass the buck between departments. I've been very low priority for some reason and haven't had any of the support systems they said there should be or that I've found out from other patients that there should be, like breast care nurses and all this. I don't know whether the surgery thing, it's because they look at me and think well what does it matter, she's hideous anyway (as one person suggested).

I imagine in January they'll just put me off until July, then til next January etc etc. I thought about trying one of those gofundme things or whatever they are (friend has one to try and get herself a flight to China for a holiday) to raise the money to get the op privately but I don't think I know enough people. I'm just tired of it all and ready to give up I think.

Maybe they're worried about your infection coming back and want to leave it as long as they can.

I've been reading a few 'cancer' forums lately and I do know some people don't have their reconstruction until the year (or so) after their initial op. Because I don't need reconstruction I haven't looked into it too much, but it might be worth your while checking them out.

Sending you lots of :Hug2:

*dashes in, hugs everyone, dashes out*

(after asking permission, of course!)

YAY! Hi, HJ, Bye, HJ.:hi:

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Muse - thanks, I will enjoy.

OK . . . the end of a long day in the charity shop I do voluntary work in. A customer told me today that she was getting her daughter an ipad for Christmas. I asked her what is wrong with her daughter's eye.