Snarky editors?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble with snarky editors when you ask them a question? Just wondered.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, always ask very politely...
I can't imagine you being anything but perfectly polite, Susie. For you to think someone's snarky, they must be totally freaking snarky.

Got no suggestions, just sayin'.

Hope it gets sorted out.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Susie is always polite. If she's talking about the editor we know is snarky, yeah, she's just a snarky cow.

If it's someone else, what did you say and what did s/he say back?

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Is this something new or the old situation (with the editor we already know is snarky)?

Another ed. April. I asked her if she had received my two articles she asked me to resend and practically bit my head off. (I had waited six months to ask). I'm not going to write to anymore editors. lol.

Last edited:

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
You should write back: "I apologize if I caught you at a bad time, I just wanted to follow up on our correspondence, please let me know a more preferable time/method of communication for the future" or something like that (without knowing details I'm just giving a vague idea).
Then you've politely pointed out that she was snarky, and that you are simply a professional trying to do your job. Perhaps she'll explain her strange behavior that day, and you can continue the relationship. Or perhaps she won't, and you'll know she's just difficult to deal with, and cross her off your list.
good luck, either way.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, sam,

Thanks so much. I did apologize to her and she first bit my head off and told me she wouldn't use my article and that she only used my work to encourage me! (I've been writing for 20 years). I've scratched her off my list. I can't take that kind of nonsense. There are so many eds. out there who are nice. Great advice, all.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, sam,

Thanks so much. I did apologize to her and she first bit my head off and told me she wouldn't use my article and that she only used my work to encourage me! (I've been writing for 20 years). I've scratched her off my list. I can't take that kind of nonsense. There are so many eds. out there who are nice. Great advice, all.
I can't tell you how angry this makes me. Some people are classless Susie. That's all there is to it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... for whatever reason, the editor didn't have your submission. So it was good you contacted them to ask for a status check, so you could find out this was the case and resend. Don't see why the editor would have any objections to that or be upset? I'd cross them off the list and sub to other pubs who appreciate you more.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Thx so much, stormie, Wayne, sam 'n Ken. Much appreciation. I'm ok about it now. I won't bother with these editors anymore. Much good luck to all of you!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Yeah, do cross them off your list. I think (hope) those kind of editors are few. I know the first one you dealt with, so I can totally understand what you're talking about. To have a second one act snarky is disheartening, but you know good ones too, so maybe submit to them more :D

I know editors are busy, but if you're going to reply, be kind about it. Don't bite people's heads off. Or wait to reply, until you're in a better mood. That goes for us all.

:)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of *course* we're snarky. We're editors. We're stuck at desks (well, a lot of us) working a steady 9 to 5 which sounds well and good until you realize that back in the days when you were freelancing, it didn't matter if you skipped off to the park in the afternoon.

We work for people who have no concept of the written language bcs by and large they are CEO's and other managers who *can't* edit, hence they hire us. (If you're really unlucky they're Scientologists who try and insist it's not just a religion, it's a business model. No lie.)

Either we're the crusty old school who think this computer crap makes for too many errors and the younger crowd has no appreciation for how it ought to be done.... or we're the younger crowd who can't understand why the crusty old school can't get with the times and insists on generating entire forests of paper for something that can be done digitally.

(And don't get me started on editorial vs production :roll:)

And to add insult to injury, all too often we are forced to hire a writer whom (we feel) we could clearly out-write any day of the week, who is probably home working in their slippers, while we sit stuck in a meeting.

Snarkiness isn't just an option, it's a survival tool. :D

.... nah, in all seriousness that was just rude of her Susie. I agree, cross her off the list. Even when dealing with writers who were, I am sure, far less professional and polite than you are, I would never have said something like that to the writer in question.

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thx so much, boston. Much appreciation. I didn't know you are an editor. That's super. I bet you're never snarky! :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I did apologize to her and she first bit my head off....

I don't normally say this, but what a bitch!

and told me she wouldn't use my article and that she only used my work to encourage me!

Thanks for the favor, right?

Pfffft.

Love ya Susie! :Hug2:

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, thx much, boston 'n Cella. She really was that! :) You can put that in your siggy anytime, boston! :D

Yeah, a favor. I should've said that, Cella. Why they're so mean er snarky, I don't know.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I have had an editor or two who tried to make me feel inexperienced or "little", but not one who actually went on the attack like that. I try to avoid working with the horrid ones.