Things you'd like to see in a Fantasy/SciFi novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Read more erotica? :D

I'd like to see more really fun characters. Ones you can giggle along with.
*facepalm*

Yes, I suppose that would do it.

Fun characters are nice, but I like the cute ones where everything they do, for one reason or another, is just adorable. I hate it when they die.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
but I like the cute ones where everything they do, for one reason or another, is just adorable.

By all the gods no! Ack, I cheer when they die and dance on their graves

I shall rephrase - I like sarcastic, vain, evul-minded characters who are nevertheless fun to read, just so you can find out who they are gonna upset next...and how :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else remember that kickass story...the Black Cauldron?

It had these undead soldiers who were UNKILLABLE. They were so threatening. Waaaay more than the 9 Riders. Mostly cuase there were hundreds of them. And every time they showed up, our heroes were like, "Ack! We're screwed!"

Damn...who wrote those books, again?

Lloyd Alexander. The Black Cauldron was the second book in his Prydain Chronicles. I loved those books. :)

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
By all the gods no! Ack, I cheer when they die and dance on their graves

I shall rephrase - I like sarcastic, vain, evul-minded characters who are nevertheless fun to read, just so you can find out who they are gonna upset next...and how :D
Don't get me wrong, I like them bastards too. In fact, I love them. Very entertaining.

But I like that cute kitten on the side of the road too, and those usually arn't cute.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
I think most of what I'd like to see in fantasy has already been mentioned. Political intrigue, stories that don't always involve saving the world, clumsy mages, parodies, cultural complexity, fun characters, fun demented characters...

Naturally all of these things are finding their way into my fantasy stories that I'm working on.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
What would you like to see in a Fantasy/SciFi novel that you hardly ever find?

For me: a fat vampire.

As we all know, vampires are always suave and mysterious. I want to see an overweight vampire who can't fly (she just jumps kinda far), is too slow to catch the prey that is getting away, and who finds solace in the bubblegummy 80's tunes that were popular when she "turned". She'd be a bit airheaded and dress like the Ghost of Fashion Past.

Who says all vampires have to be perfect 10s?

Ok, not novels, but ever watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Blade? Both had grossly huge couldn't even move vampires.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is, PLEASE PLEASE don't rely on those movies for your knowledge of ancient Egypt. They got so many things wrong it's hardly even funny, and while that's tolerable (they are, after all, just mindless entertainment and not meant to be accurate), the fact that so many people think they can learn about the mythology/culture solely from those movies is not. :(

When I watch those movies all I can think is, did these guys even READ anything about ancient Egypt...?

I really enjoyed the movies, they are a lot of fun, but I agree with you (and the others) who stated how inaccurate it is. I am fascinated by ancient Egypt. I read lots of non-fiction about it, about the mythology, I watch all those documentaries. The movies were so wrong, and I try not to think about it, or it wil take away my enjoyment. I took a Art History class in college, and the teacher would rant about the movies. Especially how the misprounounced everything. It was quite funny.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Can't remember who asked for more fantasy characters with physical disabilities. But I just read Sharon Shinn's The Dream-Maker's Magic, and thought of you whoever you are. Lovely book. Great characters. MC's best friend is disabled.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I would like to read some more books where the main characters aren't human. Most of the animal-narrator books are in children's fiction; it'd be nice to see some more serious animal narrator books. Or, at least, a book led by a fantasy species that isn't remotely human (I'd consider elves and dwarves to be very human).

I hear Lackey writes with dragons as the main characters, but I haven't picked up anything of hers yet. I read a few pages at random and the prose wasn't my type.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the Brian Jaques books are frekken DARK man. I remember most of them have war, death, torture, beatings, whippings, and general medevil acting.

But, cause they were all done by fuzzy wuzzy animals (I.E furries) its okay!

Oh...another clue in the "Why is Zoombie a furry" puzzle! Brian Jaques + Disney's Robin Hood + the Internet...and there you go.

Okay, weird tangent.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I have one of his books on my pending shelf. I was hoping to get through Sookie Stackhouse before tackling Redwall. I think I'll have to make a detour.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I have one of his books on my pending shelf. I was hoping to get through Sookie Stackhouse before tackling Redwall. I think I'll have to make a detour.

You might like Tad Williams' Tailchaser's Song and Diane Duane's cat books, errr... I think the UK and US editions have different titles, but the titles I remember are "On Her Majesty's Wizardly Service" and "To Visit The Queen", which might be the same book.

There is, of course, always Watership Down, but Adams had other animal-protagonist books. I read about a third of Plague Dogs and was so creeped out I stopped.

In Catherynne Valente's Orphan's Tales books, the framing story's protagonists are human, but some of the nested stories have non-human protagonists of varying sorts.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There is, of course, always Watership Down, but Adams had other animal-protagonist books. I read about a third of Plague Dogs and was so creeped out I stopped.

It is very dark. It's been a long time since I read it but I remember it being well worth it. I had a little snivel at the end.

I'm currently writing a book where my main guy has a physical disability. Which is making him( and me) rather depressed at the moment. I need some comic relief.

And of course young Ilfayne down there only has one hand.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't remember who asked for more fantasy characters with physical disabilities. But I just read Sharon Shinn's The Dream-Maker's Magic, and thought of you whoever you are. Lovely book. Great characters. MC's best friend is disabled.

That was me! I'll check it out. Man, I can't keep up with all your good book recs! I need to start reading more and sleeping less...

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
That was me! I'll check it out.

Oh hey, then I was thinking about you last night too, when reading Lois McMaster Bujold's second Sharing Knife books. One of the MCs has lost his left hand. He's had years to adjust, and is not exactly slowed down by this (until he breaks his right arm, anyway), so he may not count for your purposes. But in case you're interested, he exists :)

The other MC ends up pretty damaged in book 1. Bujold's characters often do, of course :D

Man, I can't keep up with all your good book recs! I need to start reading more and sleeping less...
You should do what I do -- be chronically ill and have lots of days when you can't do anything other than sit in bed & read.

Actually, maybe you shouldn't, never mind :rolleyes:

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Less descriptions about the characters, characters' thoughts, and setting. Why not just write all the descriptions in action. Like instead of telling, you show as you follow the character. Think of it like a camera following the character. The characters only reveal information in dialogue. I'm tire of reading Sci Fi and fantasy novels with so much details in it and going off the character's progress for a bit. Just stay with the character's progress in the story. Explain on the way with the character.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Erk. I read for the character's thoughts and internal whatnot.

Ok I like a bit of action, blood and gore too. But the POV character's thoughts are what connect me to action. Otherwise it's just stuff happening.

Although my hubby is just like you too. He reccs me a book and I read it. I say 'it's a bit emotionally dry for me.' He says 'Yeah but this happened and that and it blew up! and that guy killed him and then more stuff went weird!' ( actually this almost verbatum :D)

OK before I get told off - I'm not saying that you are wrong to like that stuff. Just that it's interesting to me the differences in what people want from a story.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Lotta guys like your husband, IRU. That's why they have evil wrestling now on the SciFi channel.

Not too many writers doing SF that reads like The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie. :D

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Evil wrestling? Tell me more! I love wrestling! And let's face it - has not Shawn Michaels been the duude for so long because we relate to his 'emotions'. That he always gets so whacked down and gets back up. The storylines? Well ok, and because the dude can make everyone else look good.

Back on topic

It does seem to be a male / female thing. BUT, all bar two of my betas are guys. They all like what I write and it's pretty character driven, with extra blood and guts though....

But in general yeah, men's minds work differently.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
You never asked ME to beta your stuff. <pout>

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
As an author, I would prefer my readers to follow my main character's steps. If the story is in first person point of view, the readers know my main character's thoughts and feelings from his or her words.

Status
Not open for further replies.