The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Sher2 said:
Listening to you right now, Chang. Give 'em hell! You and the Eds are covering some good ground.

And here I was just thinking about how cute those southern accents were! Oh yeah, to keep on topic, they were saying good stuff about PA too.

Jenn
(who loves a man with an accent)

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good show Ed and Ed. Thanks for the air time. I could have gone on for an hour or more. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
For those of us (ok, maybe it was just me) who had to take their daughters out to a dance rehearsal and missed the whole thing :cry:give a synopsis please?

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent job Ed and Ed!

I am very happy I listened!

The word went out to all of Memphis and Atlanta!

Again, great job!

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thank you Ed and Ed for talking about PA. Ed Williams you did a wonderful thing by starting this thread. Ed Horrell you helped all of us PA authors who want PA to change it's ways, or to close it's doors by allowing Ed and Kas to have air time. Thanks.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Ed & Ed

Savannah Blue said:
Lola!! So GOOD to see you back her girl! Please stick around.

Chang, you go boy!

Ed's talking about Jenna right now! Wow.

Don't forget Kevin "Purple Pony" Yarbrough. Mentioned by name.

Over all, the interview was interesting, if single-sided. Not a single PA apologist called in. Not sure if that was due to lack of advance warning, or lack of cojones.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Duncan J Macdonald said:

Over all, the interview was interesting, if single-sided. Not a single PA apologist called in. Not sure if that was due to lack of advance warning, or lack of cojones.
Oh, absolutely -- yay, Kevin!

Word of the program has been up since last week, and we know the PA apologists read this board, so I'd have to guess -- the latter.

Savannah Blue

None
Registered
Reaction score
Duncan J Macdonald said:

Well, of course Kevin and his Purple Pony, too! I pure stood up and cheered when Purple and Atlanta Nights were mentioned.

Good job everyone.

I just wish it could have been nationwide on 20/20 or something like that.

Sara

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, GREAT. I tuned in just in time to hear the next program start. GRRRR! Summary, please? Did Ed at any point say, "Oh, and I'm coming back to the boards real soon?" 'Cause if not, I'm still gonna have to redirect the tour bus to Georgia and go drag him back on by the ear. ;)

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Dawno said:
For those of us (ok, maybe it was just me) who had to take their daughters out to a dance rehearsal and missed the whole thing :cry:give a synopsis please?
In a nutshell, Dawno, Ed-squared ripped PA a new orifice. They exposed the truths about how PA does nothing to promote, edit, or stick a reasonable price tag on their books.

They mentioned Kevin's coup with Purple Pony and Atlanta Nights (I'm still yucking over how stipid I was over the author name), and also covered the whopping buck advance. They then compared PA's pathetic business model to those of commercial publishers who are actually in the "bidness" of selling books, a la shelf space, publicity, marketing, etc.

All in all, a fun show and very good for PA's image.

As for the sweet welcomes, (sniff), thank you kindly. However, it's only a brief entry, as I have to return to doing what I do best. Hugs to all.

Literary Lola

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Oh, GREAT. I tuned in just in time to hear the next program start. GRRRR! Summary, please? Did Ed at any point say, "Oh, and I'm coming back to the boards real soon?" 'Cause if not, I'm still gonna have to redirect the tour bus to Georgia and go drag him back on by the ear. ;)
No, Jenna, he didn't. But he did say many lovely things about you, your tireless efforts, and wonderful board.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Duncan J Macdonald said:

One cannot combat the truth with lies.. when one does, one comes off "The Fool". I'm sure PA was listening closely. PA will have their spin meisters out on their board tomorrow decrying the whole affair and weeping about how unfair it is and how harshly thier sainted publisher was treated.

Ed, Ed and Chang, AWESOME, truly AWESOME.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:

Jenna, if you click on Eds radio link you can listen to recent radio shows form his web site. I'm sure this one will be there.

-Sparhawk

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Literary Lola said:
No, Jenna, he didn't. But he did say many lovely things about you, your tireless efforts, and wonderful board.

Aww, what a sweetie. I'm so glad to hear our boys kicked POZ butt! Thanks for the report, Lola!

Gotta go out for the afternoon/night. Someone keep the coffee fresh for when both of our Eds show up.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had heard about the broadcast sooner. I missed it!
Is there anyway to hear a replay?

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sparhawk. I didn't see your post come up until after I posted.

I went to Ed's site and tried to listen but it kept cutting off every two seconds. Help?

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
ByGrace said:
Thanks, Sparhawk. I didn't see your post come up until after I posted.

I went to Ed's site and tried to listen but it kept cutting off every two seconds. Help?

I don't think it's up yet.. the latest thing I saw had a date as of April 25th. Hopefully Ed can provide more info or an audio file for those who missed it.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Oh, GREAT. I tuned in just in time to hear the next program start. GRRRR! Summary, please?

Hey, Guys-

Hope you enjoyed the show as much as I enjoyed having Ed and Ken on.

I've got a copy of the show and will let you know when it is posted on my website, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Quite a few of my non-author listeners have already let me know how much they enjoyed the interview today so I think we made some noise.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Dink, thanks for posting that. It's... bizarre! I'm almost speechless for the moment, too. What in the world are they getting into that for? Are they that strapped that they're willing to toss their reputation out the window?

Sounds like someone there overheard how much money PA was raking in hand over fist, and said, "I gotta get me some of that!"

Passionate N.Y. Lady said:
I am not a PA defector, nor do I consider myself a traitor to PA, should anyone recognize me from there, but I am here looking for the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately, that's the very reason PA starts banning people who come over here (and other various writing sites), because they really don't like it when their authors are exposed to the truth. Here's hoping no one from over there recognizes you...

Memphis Ed said:
Quite a few of my non-author listeners have already let me know how much they enjoyed the interview today so I think we made some noise.

The question is (since I don't go over to the PA boards anymore unless someone provides a link that sounds like it may prove interesting), did any current PA authors hear it and have commentary?

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
To the Eds....

I didn't get to listen, but I wanted to extend my appreciation to both of the "Eds" for their efforts.

Hope our "wandering Ed" will find his way home soon. It just isn't the same here without him.

No one gives me "smoochie" points anymore. :cry:

I miss him.

Nancy

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Did Ed at any point say, "Oh, and I'm coming back to the boards real soon?"
No--but he gave AW several really great plugs. If you have a big influx of new members, you'll know why!

Great show, Ed and Ed (and thanks for the mention of Writer Beware). To really get into the spirit of the discussion, I was filing Writer Beware material while listening (a stack of letters and documentation more than six inches high--and that's only about a month's worth of complaints).

- Victoria

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
My wife insisted I get out of the house and take her to see "Interpretor" today, so I had to record Ed's show to listen to later. We stopped by my favorite B&N while we were there, and I signed every copy of my books while I was there (probably had about fifty on hand of both titles combined).

Afterwards I talked to the assistant manager to see if they had any PA books on hand. He had not heard of the company, and could not do a publisher-only search on his catalog. I gave him Crispy by you-know-who (only title I could think of off the top of my head), and of course he had none on hand, but he couldn't do a database search off that page. He asked about PA so I told him the basics, but gave him the publishamericasucks.com address, and suggested that as a bookseller and manager he should be aware of the company. He promised he would check up on it.

As far as carrying POD books goes, in a word, NO, they don't. He said that they WILL carry a POD book as long as it has a return policy. If not, the answer is NO. He said he gets calls "all the time" from authors wanting them to carry their books (vanity, self-pub, POD), and as long as the books can be returned, they will take a couple of copies, no problem. He said he gets about two calls a month from POD authors, and he always tells them no due to the no-return policy. He said this decision came from a corporate level.

Also, he said there have been problems with authors calling around to all area bookstores to special order their books and never picking them up. He said B&N has cracked down on that problem.

They also won't do any signings for POD authors (again citing the return policy), because the books just don't sell and the store is stuck with them. And whenever the store is stuck with a nonreturnable POD book, they put the books in the back room (I guess where they'll get thrown out at some point). The ONLY time they will do a signing for any POD authors is when they have a group signing, say three or more, of POD authors. Not sure why, but that's what they do.

This is a really successful store in a touristy spot (Newport on the Levee for anyone in the Cincinnati tristate area), and I've done three different successful signings there. My books still sell very well there, in fact.

So that's the scoop from Newport B&N.

underthecity

Last edited:

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Memphis Ed said:
Hope you enjoyed the show as much as I enjoyed having Ed and Ken on. I've got a copy of the show and will let you know when it is posted on my website, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm so glad I'll be able to listen to the show by going to your website soon. I got home too late to hear it today, but it sure sounds like you 3 did great. :Thumbs:
----------------------

:welcome: to the new people! So glad you are here!!

I'd like to know why people are making a mass exit from here? (Full moon???) Like Chang, I plan to stay, even though I'm not always able to post that often. I miss Ed & the others who have said "bye-bye." Hope they "rest if they must" but "do not quit" the board permanently. Each of them adds a unique touch to A.W. and have left a big void in our ranks.
-------------------------
But...life goes on...
Since Mem has left, you can all vote for MY Atlanta Nights Cover! Thank you!! My campaign slogan is: "I don't deliver brownies, I just deliver..." :Wha: I mean, uhh, ahhh, you know what I mean...Uhh, never mind...
----------------------

I went to the enemy's camp to see if they were still saying that they only accepted books about "triumphing over a difficult situation" or something to that effect. Couldn't find it A-TALL, so they must've changed their policy. Well, maybe they never did change it as after I signed my contract with PA, I noticed that they were accepting a lot of books that had nothing to do with overcoming bad situations.

There were many books like Zocor from the planet Weerdz who came to earth in the form of a cucumber and planned to eat Chicago, and "neverbeendonebefore story lines like that." (sighhhh) That was one of the things that made me start to question PA's legitimacy. Another thing was that cheap lookin' nothin' paper that had the dollar bill affixed to it. I somehow expected something more "special" than what I received.

For a long time I kept it in a frame on my wall as a place to bang my head when I would see it, all the while shouting "stipid, stipid, stipid!" I took it down last week as I didn't want to have to patch another hole in the wall. :Headbang:

Marlene

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
M. Story said:
There were many books like Zocor from the planet Weerdz who came to earth in the form of a cucumber and planned to eat Chicago, and "neverbeendonebefore story lines like that." (sighhhh) That was one of the things that made me start to question PA's legitimacy. Another thing was that cheap lookin' nothin' paper that had the dollar bill affixed to it. I somehow expected something more "special" than what I received.

For a long time I kept it in a frame on my wall as a place to bang my head when I would see it, all the while shouting "stipid, stipid, stipid!" I took it down last week as I didn't want to have to patch another hole in the wall. :Headbang:
Noooooo! Seriously? Zocor from the planet Weerdz? That kind of makes me glad I haven't been keeping up with that stuff, not even the ever-changing front page.

Yeah, those wall patches are tough, huh? I stuck my dollar-on-a-tacky-sheet-of-paper in a box, then dug it back out when I needed the buck. The buck, I spent; the paper, I trashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.