A year without The Hitch

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Today marks the one-year anniversary of the death of Christopher Hitchens, arguably one of the greater intellectuals and public rabble-rousers of this generation.

Love him or hate him (I strongly disagreed with his full-throated support of the Iraq War), he was an insightful, incisive writer, slaughtering our most sacred cows with his rapier wit and unflappable stoicism. So notorious a sight were his public debates and interviews - white-hotly infuriating for some viewers, delicious guilty pleasures for others - that being on the unenviable receiving end of one his intellectual excoriations came to be known as being "Hitchslapped."

Here's a link to an interview from last month with his wife, reflecting on her time spent with The Hitch: http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/20...d-and-lover-and-chum-and-playmate/?hpt=pm_mid

If I had any Johnny Walker Black label, I'd raise a glass to him tonight.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm trying to be open-minded, but the Salon article makes that work of his sound like something I would not like very much.

Do you know if he ever met Mother Theresa or spent time in India? I have a friend who did work with her one day, randomly, when he spent time in India.

I'll raise a glass to him, still, in observance of the passing of his life :) But I think I'd prefer a glass of red wine with the man I know, frankly.

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Today marks the one-year anniversary of the death of Christopher Hitchens, arguably one of the greater intellectuals and public rabble-rousers of this generation.

Love him or hate him (I strongly disagreed with his full-throated support of the Iraq War), he was an insightful, incisive writer, slaughtering our most sacred cows with his rapier wit and unflappable stoicism. So notorious a sight were his public debates and interviews - white-hotly infuriating for some viewers, delicious guilty pleasures for others - that being on the unenviable receiving end of one his intellectual excoriations came to be known as being "Hitchslapped."

Here's a link to an interview from last month with his wife, reflecting on her time spent with The Hitch: http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/20...d-and-lover-and-chum-and-playmate/?hpt=pm_mid

If I had any Johnny Walker Black label, I'd raise a glass to him tonight.

We need his sharp wit now, more than ever.