Rejectomancy

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Camroc Press Review for Bourgeoisie. Still waiting on everything else.

Including Tin House which had sort of implied I should hear something from the slush reader by now so... maybe the silence is a good thing?

Aggy, reading the tea leaves with enthusiasm (if not patience)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
You unticked the comment box???

Maybe that's the key to success!

Good luck!
I always untick their comments, mainly because they annoy me. Still haven't had any success. : /

And I wouldn't dismiss a paying market just because their site isn't as pretty as the others; their money is still just as green.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love the comments. The comments are the best bit.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
The last comment I received from them was how they didn't like stories where the MC dies at the end, then they went on to point out the stories they've accepted where MC dies, but somehow, it's justified. It came off very contradictory.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Camroc Press Review for Bourgeoisie. Still waiting on everything else.

Including Tin House which had sort of implied I should hear something from the slush reader by now so... maybe the silence is a good thing?

Aggy, reading the tea leaves with enthusiasm (if not patience)

I've got something at Tin House too, but I think they take a long time to respond. Good luck.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
It's nothing but crickets here.

That's quite okay, though. I'd rather have a bucket of crickets than a smattering of rejections.

Quick Question--

In my current WIP, a character gives another character the obligatory finger. The problem is, is that it's a period piece set in the 1950s. Would that have been used then? I really, really wouldn't know, and the wiki is of no help.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
It's nothing but crickets here.

That's quite okay, though. I'd rather have a bucket of crickets than a smattering of rejections.

Quick Question--

In my current WIP, a character gives another character the obligatory finger. The problem is, is that it's a period piece set in the 1950s. Would that have been used then? I really, really wouldn't know, and the wiki is of no help.

Did you read the following wiki article? Or are you just not sure its information is reliable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_(gesture)

Last edited:

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16916263

More than you could ever want to know.

Includes this.

The middle finger, which Dr Morris says probably arrived in the US with Italian immigrants, is documented in the US as early as 1886, when a pitcher for the Boston Beaneaters gave it in a joint team photograph with the rival New York Giants.

EDIT.

And this is from a review of a 1955 film, Battle Cry.

In the scene where the worn out soldiers are angered at the sight of another regiment in trucks, a couple of them are giving the finger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047860/reviews

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going with the that-website-is-ugly crowd. Even if I created a story I was sure they were going to accept, I wouldn't want it displayed there. And if that means never getting a funny, sarcastic rejection, or an even funnier, sarcastic acceptance? Well, that's a chance I'm going to take. :)

Seriously, in this day and age there's no reason for a website to look that bad.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least the picture of the monkeys in that article doesn't show them 'gesturing' as per the text...

But it really should.

I think I'm going to write to the Beeb and complain.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, in this day and age there's no reason for a website to look that bad.
I prefer the ugly sites over that crappy flash. Not to mention, not everyone can run flash on their browser, due to limited internet connection.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going with the that-website-is-ugly crowd. Even if I created a story I was sure they were going to accept, I wouldn't want it displayed there. And if that means never getting a funny, sarcastic rejection, or an even funnier, sarcastic acceptance? Well, that's a chance I'm going to take. :)

Marz, I got one worse.

Check this out.
http://aftereverafter.wordpress.com/

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16916263

More than you could ever want to know.

Includes this.

The middle finger, which Dr Morris says probably arrived in the US with Italian immigrants, is documented in the US as early as 1886, when a pitcher for the Boston Beaneaters gave it in a joint team photograph with the rival New York Giants.

EDIT.

And this is from a review of a 1955 film, Battle Cry.

In the scene where the worn out soldiers are angered at the sight of another regiment in trucks, a couple of them are giving the finger.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047860/reviews

Thanks, Lillie.

Now I can have an angry guard give my detective the finger with glee!

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing anything about it in American culture, and it didn't really say anything much other than that it originated in Greece, and, well...What we already know about it.

Actually, it did cite the same Italian immigrant story/baseball player/photo taken in 1886 that was mentioned in the article Lillie posted.

Just checked - it does specifically cite the article Lillie linked as the source for that information.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my kid was little he used to stick his middle finger up at me and say, "Spin on this."
Then he's stick two fingers up (British eff off gesture) and say, "And land on that."

I think he learned it at school. I was so very, very proud of him.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
When my kid was little he used to stick his middle finger up at me and say, "Spin on this."
Then he's stick two fingers up (British eff off gesture) and say, "And land on that."

I think he learned it at school. I was so very, very proud of him.

Who wouldn't?

Sorry for my ignorance, guys. I must've really missed some stuff on that wiki thread.

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Who wouldn't?

Sorry for my ignorance, guys. I must've really missed some stuff on that wiki thread.

I'm glad you asked. Learning about the history of the finger was far more entertaining than working.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
One of the best parts about reading Roman sources last semester was, besides all the awesome and insane happenings, learning just how old the finger as an insulting gesture is. The Emperor Caligula, in order to intimidate one of his chief guardsmen, had them kiss his middle finger as he wagged it in front of them. And no, endlessly mocking the man with the sword did not end well...

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked. Learning about the history of the finger was far more entertaining than working.

Well, then. I'm glad I provided someone with entertainment.

Now....back to writing. I hope my hardboiled detective doesn't hurt that rude guard too bad.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the ugly sites over that crappy flash. Not to mention, not everyone can run flash on their browser, due to limited internet connection.
True, but there's no excuse for ugly flash sites either. In its basic form, a website is a document of presentation. If you can't add the aesthetic worthy of an artist, then leave it with the freshness and simplicity of an unlined piece of paper. It's better to leave the eye unimpressed than to offend it.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
True, but there's no excuse for ugly flash sites either. In its basic form, a website is a document of presentation. If you can't add the aesthetic worthy of an artist, then leave it with the freshness and simplicity of an unlined piece of paper. It's better to leave the eye unimpressed than to offend it.

I agree. The website in question looks like 1997.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Eye of the beholder. I'm not seeing what is so offensive about Untied Shoelaces. Sure, it's not the most impressive looking site, but it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out, either.

And 1997 was a good year.