• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Friedrich Agency (Molly Friedrich)

Alchemenos Prausti

Registered
Reaction score
As form rejections go, I agree that's probably the best I've seen. For myself, I prefer my rejections short, simple and polite but the one from Molly would still soften the blow.

I'm new at this (only my 2nd response), but I preferred this one:

Thank you for thinking of me with your query for [TITLE]. While this sounds like a strong project, I'm afraid it doesn't strike me as a likely fit with me and my particular editorial contacts. I wish you well in finding the right agent for your work.
Anne Hawkins
John Hawkins & Associates, Inc.

gladspooky

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query on 4/17/11.

Got a personalized rejection on 6/7/11 that basically says, "Wow, this is so close, but it's not exactly for me. But keep going."

I like her.

JNKhoury

Registered
Reaction score
Interview

Here's an interview with Lucy:

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor...nt-advice-lucy-carson-of-the-friedrich-agency

My experience with her has been lightning fast. I queried her a week ago, got an immediate full request (couldn't give her exclusivity because I had seven other fulls out) and last night she emailed me saying she'd finished the ms. She's supposed to call me tomorrow--I'm extremely nervous! never talked to an agent before except through email!--so I've been researching all I could on her and the Friedrich.

One thing I've not been able to find, maybe one of you can help? Does anyone know who she personally reps? I found plenty of names with her agency; maybe it's more of a group thing?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
congratulations, JNKHoury, and welcome to AW. i queried Lucy Carson on 6/21 and still haven't heard anything. i don't think i was able to find a specific client list for her when i was originally researching, either.

good luck!

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I found no client matches for her on Publishers Marketplace and no sales in the past 12 months. That doesn't mean she didn't make any, but if she did, she didn't report them. She does mention one sale in the Writer's Digest interview. In the interview, she also notes that she started with her mother's agency the day she graduated college in 2008. Perhaps she's been learning the ropes for the past three years and is just now striking out with clients of her own.
Good luck and don't be nervous.
Agents are people too!

chinatown

Registered
Reaction score
Paul Cirone is no longer with this agency, though agentquery.com says otherwise. Any idea on which agency he landed? or did he start his own?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Per his Twitter stream, he's left agenting for teaching.

To preserve it from being lost in the ever evaporating twitter stream, should later inquirers check in... The pertinent tweet was posted May 10.

Okay, my news is out! I'm leaving publishing to become a teacher in the NYC public school system. Special Ed!

I wish him the best. That's a "roll your sleeves up" kind of gig. My best to his clients.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an interview with Lucy:

http://www.writersdigest.com/editor...nt-advice-lucy-carson-of-the-friedrich-agency

My experience with her has been lightning fast. I queried her a week ago, got an immediate full request (couldn't give her exclusivity because I had seven other fulls out) and last night she emailed me saying she'd finished the ms. She's supposed to call me tomorrow--I'm extremely nervous! never talked to an agent before except through email!--so I've been researching all I could on her and the Friedrich.

One thing I've not been able to find, maybe one of you can help? Does anyone know who she personally reps? I found plenty of names with her agency; maybe it's more of a group thing?

So what happened in the phone call? You can't leave us hanging like that!:)

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link to the Lucy Carson interview. She and Molly both sound like really great people, and she gives some great advice. I'm seriously considering querying her, though I can't tell if my work "fits" with their title list.

writerGDW

Registered
Reaction score
EQ to Molly: 12/5/11
ER: 1/23/12 "Well, it's finally happened..."

Molly cc'd Lucy on the rejection. Is that common? I know it says on the website to only query one of their agents...

p0rtia

Registered
Reaction score
Synopsis? Sample Chapter?

I've checked out Molly's submission guidelines and find them pretty vague. What's a standard query? Does that mean synopsis and sample chapters to you folks, or just a brief intro and a shot pitch? She mentions that she expects a synopsis, but doesn't mention a length.

What did you folks who submitted to her send?

Thanks!

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
p0rtia--
Standards are cool, so we must have many different ones to choose from!

Seriously, a one-page (preferably shorter) query letter and a one-page synopsis are good working defaults. While many, maybe most folks on the receiving end are okay with two-page synopses, no one I've ever come into contact with would object to a shorter one.

AriBean

Registered
Reaction score
Just came across this direct quote from an interview:

"So, for The Friedrich Agency, we consider synopses to be one feature of a query letter. This definition of query letter is pretty traditional—your letter should introduce you to the agent formally, providing a balance of information about your writing experience, any life experience that relates to your writing, and the project itself. Therefore, the “synopsis” aspect here should be a matter of several sentences, no more than two paragraphs, as the full letter shouldn’t be much longer than a page."

AriBean

Registered
Reaction score
I've checked out Molly's submission guidelines and find them pretty vague. What's a standard query? Does that mean synopsis and sample chapters to you folks, or just a brief intro and a shot pitch? She mentions that she expects a synopsis, but doesn't mention a length.

What did you folks who submitted to her send?

Thanks!

Stumbled across this direct quote from an interview with Lucy Carson:

"So, for The Friedrich Agency, we consider synopses to be one feature of a query letter. This definition of query letter is pretty traditional—your letter should introduce you to the agent formally, providing a balance of information about your writing experience, any life experience that relates to your writing, and the project itself. Therefore, the “synopsis” aspect here should be a matter of several sentences, no more than two paragraphs, as the full letter shouldn’t be much longer than a page."

tessdurbeyville

Registered
Reaction score
Lucy Carson

Anyone recently represented by Lucy Carson? What is your experiencing with getting an acceptance with her?

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. I sent a query to Molly Friedrich this evening for my historical fiction. I will let you know when I get a response.
Bryan