Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I brought the laptop to my kid's concert last night. Hey, I'm on deadline. :) I sat on the floor (rug) in the back corner and dimmed the screen. The music director and the principal both commented, but when I said I was on deadline, they smiled and nodded. :D

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
I left my iphone at home last week when I brought my daughter 5 miles down the road for her 1 hour dance class.

Longest hour of my life!

Even though I had the laptop with me and was working on my wip - I had massive deprivation symptoms.

I know the feeling. The iPhones are so addictive. They should have warning labels when you buy one;)

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Well, this is another good day guys! Last night, I returned the book I was beta reading to it's author. It took me almost a month to beta this book, so I was worried she'd be upset. I got this in an email this morning.

Ellen!
This is one of the ABSOLUTELY best beta-reads I've ever had. I found myself longing to see the blue sections! Your comments were concise and to the point and your suggestions were absolutely spot on. I know this is a lot to ask, but I'd love it if you could read my work for me, be my beta partner so to speak. For a kid with a 10th grade education, you've taught this MA quite a bit in this read.

And so, I'm basking in the glow of a job well done. I beta read a book with 93 chapters. Yay to me... again.

Now, how's the houndies doing? Any progress on wips from y'all?

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
w00t, Effy! That's great. Now we all know who to contact when we are at beta stage! :)

Let's see, my grand total yesterday was 2,400 words added to Ink and a 666 word short. I swear, the number total for that short is coincidental, but it made me laugh when I finished it. It's dark, but not horror so I tossed it up on my blog.

There are some very interesting things happening with Ink. A character introduced himself and he's given the story a nifty little turn. I had no idea why he came into the picture, but last night, he made his reasons for existence known and I'm quite happy. Ink stands at 36k right now. I swear, this story is flying out of me and it's a much cleaner first draft than either version 1 or version 2 of Secret October and that little bit of stuff I wrote the other night will be version 3 of Secret October. I figured out how to make it work, although I'm not going to write any more of it until the first draft of Ink is done. (At least, I don't think so.)

;)

Last edited:

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
And isn't that why we're all here? To help encourage each other?

Nope, I'm here to ruthlessly use and abuse all of you.

And for the BBQ.

:poke:

Greg, sweet, check the message under my user name. Use away, but abuse me, and feel the wrath of my slobbery fangs. :D

And nobody let Greg fool you. I know there's good in him somewhere. I'll go looking for it. Quick, get me a jack hammer and a rib spreader.

As for work today, I think that's going to be slim. I gotta go to my kid sister's graduation and take pictures for my dad. He's out of town but wants to see her walk the aisle. Jerk boss of his . . . mutter grumble snarl snap. :)

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I'm just happy I got it right for her. I have beta read before, but never a novel of this size. I'd read scripts and novellas and short novels, but nothing so big as this. It made me giggle to be called a kid, too. I'm 26 years old! But, I understand. This lady is about the same age as my mom, so her calling me a kid made me giggle not because I thought it was silly, but because I don't even get ID'ed for cigarettes anymore. Made me feel good, LOL.

New discussion! I had a thought. A new thread called Hounding After Hours. Where we hounds can goof off in our horror thread here in the horror section (Umm... even more so than we do here in this thread) and discuss "night" options. For example: Everyone knows the old cliche "cold, dark night" or the "dark stormy night". But what about the hot sticky nights? Or what if you live in Alaska where they have days without nights? What about them? Describing night time can be a bit repetitive... you see similar descriptions in all books, not just horror. So, what if we talk about the night time to find new descriptive words... or phrases, or even metaphors and the like. Or, just different ways of giving the impression of darkness, without coming out and saying the word dark or night. ?? What do y'all think?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Computer back.

Shingle down.

Boyfriend happy.

Now I edit Shiva's Dance and re-write that blasted query...again again again again again......

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Morning, bsolah. *beams creative thoughts*

I have 9 chapters to go in my edits. Must. Be. Diligent.

Mistress of the Whip, we are rejoiced at your return! Now go write that query!

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Good morning Ben! Jaycinth, good luck with your query. They are evil little things! And Lily, good luck with your edits.

I met a friend for dinner and she got caught in traffic. Good thing I had a notebook in the car. I filled 6 pages with notes and other stuff for my WIP and came up with two good scenes that were just vague ideas. They are going to be wicked! :)

Other than those notes, I have not written at all today. I did a little reading and a little laundry, etc. Now, I have my tush on the sofa and my fingers on the keyboard!

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
What line?

I personally disagree with what you said, but don't find it offensive or think that it was inappropriate.

Then again, my advice probably doesn't count. I cross lines often and deliberately.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty good rant. Did you feel better getting all that off your chest? It's your personal blog, right? Who are you afraid of offending?

Shail

mostly normal
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I grew up with a family that taught that body language, emotions, touch, and sex, were all dirty things that only happened between married couples behind closed doors, and only because it was necessary to create children. So, to me that's a pretty reasonable and respectable take on sex. Then again, I come from an area where women who get raped were 'asking for it'. So yeah. Consider me a sexual wierdo. ;)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't something I would post on a professional blog, e.g. when you get published - is this something you'd want your readers to have access to?

Just something to think about. For instance, I love Orson Scott Card's writing - but I CANNOT STAND to read about his religious and personal views. It makes me not want to read his stuff ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.