Stephen King's Top 20 Rules for Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

oooooh

the owls are not what they seem
Registered
Reaction score
Many of you may have seen this already, but I felt like sharing it regardless. Stumbled upon it and it felt like a breath of fresh air.

I've been wrestling with a lot of these issues lately (maybe you have, too). This helped. (I've never done the "you have three months" rule, more like six mo. - a year. I think I'll attempt it this time.)

1. First write for yourself, and then worry about the audience. “When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story.”

2. Don’t use passive voice. “Timid writers like passive verbs for the same reason that timid lovers like passive partners. The passive voice is safe.”

3. Avoid adverbs. “The adverb is not your friend.””

http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I got a lot out of his On Writing. Also Norman Mailer's The Spooky Art and the John Gardner book, On Becoming a Novelist.

I'd give, not anything but a lot, to be able to write a first draft in 3 mos. Maybe this time.

Howard Beale

Mad as Hell!
Registered
Reaction score
I have these sticky taped the wall above my writing space. Although I mostly enjoyed On Writing for it's autobiographical lean it still contains vital do's and don't throughout.

He is The King.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
10. You have three months. “The first draft of a book—even a long one—should take no more than three months, the length of a season.”

Nonsense. A draft takes as long as it takes. There isn't any race going on. So take as long as you need to take and disregard that, "on your mark; get set; go," stuff.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Nonsense. A draft takes as long as it takes. There isn't any race going on. So take as long as you need to take and disregard that, "on your mark; get set; go," stuff.
Stephen King is as prone as anyone to thinking that what works for him is the only thing that can work.

He also says no one should outline, which is a completely valid way of writing a story for some writers. Not for him--and that's fine--but for some people, outlining is a necessary and intensely fruitful step in the process.

Like all writing advice, if it resonates with you, then glom onto it. If it doesn't, then give it a whirl to see if you can work better that way, and if not, discard it.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Ehhhhh. I give these "rules" an almighty shrug. Do what works for you, I say.

Stephen King is as prone as anyone to thinking that what works for him is the only thing that can work.

This, basically.

Like all writing advice, if it resonates with you, then glom onto it. If it doesn't, then give it a whirl to see if you can work better that way, and if not, discard it.
Yup. If these rules strike a chord with you, run with 'em into the horizon. But they're not gospel. In particular, when it comes to the ones about process, it bothers me that he tries to assign "rules" to that at all. Do what you need to do to write how you need to write.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I've read S.King's book on writing. It's good, just as his top 20 rules are good.

BUT you have to take his word with a grain of salt. Take #11 for instance. "11. There are two secrets to success. “I stayed physical healthy, and I stayed married.”'

Huh. He has admitted to drugs and alcohol. I'm not sure if that could be considered "physically healthy." And as for marriage--yep, I'm married, happily, but I think it depends on the situation a person is in.

Adverbs--he's used them, even in dialogue tags. Sparingly, but they're there.

A draft in three months? Maybe. But it's not a necessity unless you have to.

I've read so many books on writing. Take it all with a grain of salt. Most is good advice, but it's not gospel-truth.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly don't intend to get married just so I can write...
Really? What a lack of dedication. Personally I'm toying with the idea of a personals ad. Maybe something like:
SWF writer with a desire to take her craft to the next level seeks to tie the knot with a compatible mate. Male preferred. Must guarantee bestseller.
:D

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Love any book by Stephen King, including On Writing.

I think his rules are good guidelines, and I don't believe they are meant to be set in stone or a testimony that this is the only way to do things. He's an incredibly successful author, and perhaps these rules are things that he pays attention to. Who knows? With anything, we take what we like and leave the rest.

I'm not married, but I've been happily with the same guy for years. I wrote when I was romantically alone, didn't write much when I was married, and I write now. For me, writing is about discipline not about romantic status. However, King has said his wife reads his drafts prior to publication and that she is honest with her feedback, and she's also an author.

The adverb rule is meant to be a guideline. I know in my own writing that once I start planting them, if I'm not paying attention they do multiply. Some situations call for an adverb, some do not. Discernment is our friend when it comes to adverbs.

As for the three months to finish a novel-I would think that's for full-time writers who make a living with their books. It would undoubtedly be more difficult for someone who works full time to write a novel in three months, but someone who makes a living as an author would be able to complete a book in that short time span.

oooooh

the owls are not what they seem
Registered
Reaction score
I've read S.King's book on writing. It's good, just as his top 20 rules are good.

BUT you have to take his word with a grain of salt. Take #11 for instance. "11. There are two secrets to success. “I stayed physical healthy, and I stayed married.”'

Huh. He has admitted to drugs and alcohol. I'm not sure if that could be considered "physically healthy." And as for marriage--yep, I'm married, happily, but I think it depends on the situation a person is in.

Adverbs--he's used them, even in dialogue tags. Sparingly, but they're there.

A draft in three months? Maybe. But it's not a necessity unless you have to.

I've read so many books on writing. Take it all with a grain of salt. Most is good advice, but it's not gospel-truth.

I think the general sense he tried to convey is that he tried to live a reasonably healthy life, and didn't forget those around him. (as someone who's been there, this is pretty easy to do. I don't mean the staying married part, just remembering the general fact that friends/family/etc. exist.)

That aside, I resonated with the 1st rule strongly because I find myself trying to tailor a story to the "reader" and "audience" a lot.

To be honest, I really don't think that you should follow anyone's writing rules in order to write successfully. I've got a folder on my desktop brimming with writing tips and advice, but in the end, all that really works is just getting the damn words on page. I just found that list this morning by accident and had a very strong reaction of "Yes! Yes! Thank you Mr. King, I'll get back to writing now!" (and was hoping I could infect someone else in similar vein :) )

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
A while ago I grabbed a King book off my shelf - The Dark Half - turned to a random page and counted 20+ adverbs on that one page. One must'nt forget that not all adverbs end in 'ly.'

There are adverbs of manner, place, frequency, time and purpose. Words like here, there and everywhere are adverbs. As well as since, always, never, often and always. (And tons more.)

And I could go on and on. I always think the avoid adverbs rule is rather a silly one. Avoid unnecessary adverbs is better.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite piece of advice from King is actually this reminder: "The scariest moment is always just before you start."

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I'll be the wet blanket here and point out these are not actually King's rules for writing, but rather what the writer of the article pulled out of On Writing and turned into rules.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
I do like the
the 'magic is within', and fear = bad writing, and writing = magic.

yup. Whoever said it, it rings true, to me.

magical, 'tis.

Akragth

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the advice he gave in his On Writing, even though I picked the book up for the memoir side of things.

Most of what he says is how he does things, not that it's the only way to write, and I felt he made that pretty clear.

As with all advice, I'm always happy to listen when it comes from someone more experienced and a proven history of success in the field, but I wouldn't cling to the advice as hard rules.

D.A Watson

Writer of Wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
I liked the advice he gave in his On Writing, even though I picked the book up for the memoir side of things.

Most of what he says is how he does things, not that it's the only way to write, and I felt he made that pretty clear.

As with all advice, I'm always happy to listen when it comes from someone more experienced and a proven history of success in the field, but I wouldn't cling to the advice as hard rules.

Yep, was a long time ago I read this book, but I remember him saying right at the start something along the lines of "there is no right or wrong", and he encourages the reader to find whatever methods work for them. I need to read it again though. Remember a very funny story involving poison oak.

All hail the King!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The main 'rule' I took away from On Writing was you have to read a lot and write a lot. Makes sense.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

He also says no one should outline, which is a completely valid way of writing a story for some writers. Not for him--and that's fine--but for some people, outlining is a necessary and intensely fruitful step in the process.

Taken as insight from a great writer on how they do things rather than what one must do when writing his twenty rules are neat.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I've been reading On Writing, on and off. I find it entertaining, and he makes some good points but I don't think he's proclaiming 'rules.' He does suggest that writers read a lot, and write consistently. He suggests writers find themselves a space in which to write without distraction--do that for themselves. There are some real gems in the book. He does know how to turn a phrase.

I don't consider On Writing to be something a writer should swallow whole. Food for thought, that's what I think. I'm nibbling thoughtfully. :)

Last edited:

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Some of these rules are kind of meaningless.

"12. Write one word at a time." What does that even mean? Do you know people who can physically write more than one word at once? Please let them teach us this amazing skill!

Some of these rules are nonsensical (someone already pointed 10).

And some of these rules are just literary canards. The passive voice will be used where it is required, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.