Status
Not open for further replies.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I got inspired by the song "Blown Away" for an episode in what's going to be my Red Dirt Justice series. The two main characters are gay.

Lee, an 18-year-old Cherokee HS senior, was murdered, beaten to death by Elijah's father. Pop thought Lee was turning Elijah gay, and would keep him from Pop's dream of Elijah playing in the NFL. Elijah is black, and a HS junior.

Lee realized he was gay early in his life, but wasn't out. One of his close friends knew. He and Elijah had become very close friends, and Lee had told Elijah that he loved him. Elijah had not realized he was gay until the evening that Lee admitted his love (although I just realized I haven't noted when Lee came out to Elijah. I have to think he wouldn't have said in so many words, "Hey, I'm gay and I love you.)

At any rate, I already know that Elijah was a football player, and enjoyed all the general attention, but never let on that he wasn’t as interested in the attention from girls as he acted. Pop tried to convince him that he just hadn’t found the right girl yet, and that he should sow as many wild oats as he could.

Pop tries to make it look like Lee has left Elijah. Elijah goes on to college, ignoring Pop's plans for his life.

The story is going to start about 10-12 years after Lee's death/disappearance. Elijah has moved on, but how? He had questions about his sexuality even before he met Lee, then Lee came out, and told Elijah that he was in love with him, then he disappeared a week later. FWIW, Elijah suspects Pop had something to do with Lee's disappearance, but isn't sure what happened.

Lee's going to attend Northwestern to study journalism, a path that Lee started him down. I can see him going any of several directions WRT his identity, and I need some guidance to make sure I'm creating a realistic character, and not some grotesque cardboard misrepresentation.

1. He could deny being gay, saying that he was just overwhelmed when Lee came out to him. He'd throw himself at women in the extreme, taking as many partners as possible to "screw the gay away." (Sarcasm there.) I suspect he'd run into some emotional issues down the road.
  2. He could embrace being gay, since college would be a safer environment that rural Oklahoma, especially for a black man.
  3. I could (maybe) see him trying to completely suppress his sexuality, and becoming asexual (as I understand the term).
  4. I don't know him well enough at this point, but it occurred to me that there's no reason that he couldn't turn out to be bisexual? I realize his experiences won't "turn him bi," but is there any reason they'd keep him from exploring that idea?
Basically I know or think that I don't know enough about QUILTBAG people, and I really want to make sure I get it right. This has been a rambling post, I realize, but I'm hoping that folks here can see through my confusion and give me a little guidance.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

Basically I know or think that I don't know enough about QUILTBAG people, and I really want to make sure I get it right. This has been a rambling post, I realize, but I'm hoping that folks here can see through my confusion and give me a little guidance.

Well, basically QUILTBAG people are just like all other people: they're all individuals and will react differently. ;)

1. He could deny being gay, saying that he was just overwhelmed when Lee came out to him. He'd throw himself at women in the extreme, taking as many partners as possible to "screw the gay away." (Sarcasm there.) I suspect he'd run into some emotional issues down the road.
Possible. There are people who deny their sexuality or believe they can change it by doing a number of things, such as therapy, medication, praying, or having lots of sex with the opposite sex.

1. He could embrace being gay, since college would be a safer environment that rural Oklahoma, especially for a black man.
This is possible, too.

1. I could (maybe) see him trying to completely suppress his sexuality, and becoming asexual (as I understand the term).
Asexuality is the lack of sexual interest. If he still feels sexually attracted to other people, but suppresses it, he is celibate.

1. I don't know him well enough at this point, but it occurred to me that there's no reason that he couldn't turn out to be bisexual? I realize his experiences won't "turn him bi," but is there any reason they'd keep him from exploring that idea?
If he's completely opposed to the idea of being attracted to men, then it's possible he would also be against being bi.
I think all these possibilities are possible. It will depend on your character which path he wants to take.

Side note: Bury Your Gays is a very popular gay trope. I'm not saying you can't use it, just be aware that it's been done before, lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.