Present Tense More Common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
It seems a lot of books I've read lately are written in the present tense. Is this become more common? I used to find most of the present tense books I read were in the first person, but now it's a mix of all viewpoints.

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a swing towards present tense, too, but I'm also part of the YA crowd. I write exclusively in present tense now. Anything else seems to stand out to me.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
My books seem to be better in present tense. I don't know if being able to get a YA agent for it made it better, but I would agree in YA novels it is more common.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not reading YA these days, but interesting to hear it's becoming prevalent there.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, past tense is still, thank God, far, far more common than present tense. Ninety percent or more of the books I pick up are past tense. And agents and editors are even starting to balk at present tense in YA,

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
No, past tense is still, thank God, far, far more common than present tense. Ninety percent or more of the books I pick up are past tense. And agents and editors are even starting to balk at present tense in YA,

And thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that not all writers write in the same tense and POV. The reading world would be a far more boring place that way.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Mine must have missed the memo.

I must have missed it too.

Here's what an agent says: http://kidlit.com/2011/02/09/tense-about-tense/

I like present tense if I can't tell I'm reading present tense. I prefer first person past and most of my books are written in that tense from that perspective. But agents don't seem adverse to it. Almost every book I've picked up this year was written in first person present.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
And thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that not all writers write in the same tense and POV. The reading world would be a far more boring place that way.

Not for me, but for many, you're right. I'd be incredibly happy if I never, ever opened another book to discover present tense.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Present tense is okay - I'm still not used to it though, so it throws me for about 4 paragraphs or so until I adjust.

I'm still stuck in the past. No pun intended. :D

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
And agents and editors are even starting to balk at present tense in YA,

Cite?

I've seen no evidence of this whatsoever, so you're going to have to back up this claim before I give it any credence. And probably 50% or more of the books I read (since I read a lot of YA) are in present tense.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Not for me, but for many, you're right. I'd be incredibly happy if I never, ever opened another book to discover present tense.

I really don't care for first person/present tense. Third person/present is alright, but I like third person/past if given a choice.

CAWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about YA either, but I am finding it more common in books I've been reading and I really don't care for it. It's the rare writer who can deftly pull off present tense. I feel like if I'm actually aware of the tense, then it's intrusive and not effective.

As a writer, I can understand the desire to challenge oneself by writing 3rd person present, but so far I'm not seeing it done really well.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
The majority of what I read is first past, followed by third past. I am seeing more present tense books. Not sure if more are being pubbed, or I am just reading a wider variety of books. I have to say present tense is not my preference. Sometimes the tense sticks out, is awkward, and I end up putting the book down. But for some, the writing is so beautiful, so flawless, I don't even notice. That is what I look for. To lose myself so completely in a story that I don't notice things like tense.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I've definitely been noticing present tense a lot more lately, though I have no way of knowing if that actually indicates a new trend or not. I don't read a lot of YA, but I'm seeing more present tense in adult contemporary fiction.

I used to find present tense awkward, but I don't anymore.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I write YA and they are all Present tense. However, it's more common in that age group.

I just find for me, it's feel right. So do what you feel is right and you can't go wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.