• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJRhyne

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up the last few chapters of a fantasy fiction novel. I am looking for someone who can assist in editing the flow, finding any plot holes (hopefully I have filled all of them, but those damn rabbits keep digging) and working with me to maintain tense. My story is given in first person present; however, I have the tendency to move to first person past when it pleases me and I find it annoying. I have been wasting time moving back and forth to chapters that are completed and done when I should be finishing the book. The book has religious, mythological, medieval and neolithic themes, but is essentially a modern adventure.

I have twelve chapters ready for the block but am nervous and really would just like some eyes on what I have done and a non-bias opinion on if I should just stick to my day job.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Kimberly,

Just a note...

While it's great that you're diving write in (get it? ok...) , seeing how you're fairly new you may have difficulties finding someone to beta for you until you have a few more posts.

We have a forum called "Share Your Work." It requires fifty posts before you can share your work, but you're more than welcome to provide feedback on others' stuff to help you get there. We do this to help newbies learn about Absolute Write and get entrenched in the community. :)

May I also suggest that you make a short introductory post in the New Member forum? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

:welcome:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I am currently finishing up the last few chapters of a fantasy fiction novel. I am looking for someone who can assist in editing the flow, finding any plot holes (hopefully I have filled all of them, but those damn rabbits keep digging) and working with me to maintain tense. My story is given in first person present; however, I have the tendency to move to first person past when it pleases me and I find it annoying. I have been wasting time moving back and forth to chapters that are completed and done when I should be finishing the book. The book has religious, mythological, medieval and neolithic themes, but is essentially a modern adventure.

I have twelve chapters ready for the block but am nervous and really would just like some eyes on what I have done and a non-bias opinion on if I should just stick to my day job.

the "stick to your day job" is entirely up to you, and that doesn't matter if your book absolutely rocks or sucks like an electrolux--if you want to write, write. And with luck, you will get better as you go (well, not luck--with skill, humility, and aptitude...). With a lot of luck (again, not really luck) you'll get to a point where you can sell. But don't base your entire self-worth on this piece; it is very rare to sell your first work. John Saul, who I don't consider a great writer now, still debuted with novel #7.

In any case, go hang out at SYW, and look around the "basic" and "novels" sections--you can learn a lot here.

Good luck, and welcome to the site,
Quick

Status
Not open for further replies.