• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

What's the ideal Number of Beta Readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I have two I depend on, but I've also been involved in critique groups which have been beneficial. I don't think the number matters as much as their commitment to your story.

BlueCloud

Word Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbaraetlin.com
More than one, I think. I'm in a critique group of four and that's perfect for me. When I ask for an opinion, three independent answers will usually be helpful. One might be a fluke; two can cancel each other out; three will show a trend.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. To clarify, I meant for my question to pertain to full manuscript reads.

I don't think that changes the response. You should have more than one; that's about the only quantifier I would say is mandatory.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I like almost as many as I can get. But in large part that's because I like 1-2 for the first revision. Then it's nice to have a fresh pair of eyes for the second. And the third. (Which works out to around 6 kindly volunteers.)

But one good beta is easily worth a thousand bad ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.