Bill Gates' Summer Reading List

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Geekwire posted a list of Bill Gates' summer reads.

These are the chosen books:
The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World by Daniel Yergin.
Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China by Ezra Vogel
The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett
Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo
Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update by Donella Meadows
Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think by Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
The Man Who Stayed Behind by Amanda Bennett.

I've heard of...absolutely none of them.

Have you read any of these books? Do you agree with his choices?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
economics and club of rome-type predictions aren't my thing, so nope. This may be why I'm not a billionaire, too. ;) (I'm sure genius and work ethic differences play no part in this disparity.) Give me a juicy suspense, comedic romantic suspense, page-turner of a spec fic, or fascinating historical novel, and in n-f, science or something like Erik Larsson's books. The tastes of a poor bugger, I suppose.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
economics and club of rome-type predictions aren't my thing, so nope. This may be why I'm not a billionaire, too. ;) (I'm sure genius and work ethic differences play no part in this disparity.) Give me a juicy suspense, comedic romantic suspense, page-turner of a spec fic, or fascinating historical novel, and in n-f, science or something like Erik Larsson's books. The tastes of a poor bugger, I suppose.

I'm the same way. I'd much rather read a YA novel than a book on economics or corporate culture, which is a bit disappointing since I'm a Business Administration major. Economics interests me - novels just interest me more! ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Geekwire posted a list of Bill Gates' summer reads.

These are the chosen books:
The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World by Daniel Yergin.
Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China by Ezra Vogel
The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett
Behind the Beautiful Foreversby Katherine Boo
Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update by Donella Meadows
Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think by Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
The Man Who Stayed Behind by Amanda Bennett.

I've heard of...absolutely none of them.

Have you read any of these books? Do you agree with his choices?
I'm reading "Abundance" - it mentions Bill Gates, but it doesn't mention me. It's an interesting antidote to anything titled "Limits to growth."

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading "Abundance" - it mentions Bill Gates, but it doesn't mention me. It's an interesting antidote to anything titled "Limits to growth."

That does seem antithetical. I wonder if the writer of the article listed them together on purpose.

One day you'll be mentioned in books, even if it's as the author. :D

@ Max: I assume he gets some pleasure out of business because he could easily retire otherwise, but I agree that there is a heavy emphasis on nonfiction compared to fiction. He seems to desire an education rather than an escape. I leave education to my classes. They get enough of my attention as it is.

Last edited: