Feeling a little icky...

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
So, my husband and I write regularly for a fairly new magazine, with several articles in each issue. Yesterday afternoon, the editor emailed me in a panic, asking me if I could do a rush assignment. Another writer had already written the piece she needed, but the editor wasn't happy with it (she sent it to me, and I can see why. It's boring and the quality is a little lacking), so she wants me to do it.

I need the money so I'm happy to do it, but...I'm feeling a little icky about this other writer. I briefly thought about suggesting the editor offer to let him re-do it, but I don't want to overstep my bounds and maybe she's tried working with him and is fed up. I don't know. Have any of you ever experienced this?

wombat

wombats galore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com
I've not been in this position, but the last thing I'd do is suggest to the editor how to do his or her job, which I think is what this would sound like.

Anyway, there's a lot you don't know - not only whether the editor's already fed up with the person, but for all you know, the writer may have declined to revise further for any number of reasons. So I'd say it's none of your beeswax, just do the job you were given and don't lose any sleep over it.

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
As helpful as we all want to be, a job is a job and why pass one up - i agree with wombat - if the editor asked you to do it he/she had their reasons - most editors don't burn bridges with good writers, so if they are willing to burn the bridge with the other writer, most likely there is a good reason for it.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'd be interested in how the editor plans on handling the byline. If you are using any of the research/writing of the original writer (which I presume you are) I hope you'll be listed as a co-writer along with him/her. I also hope the editor has explained what to expect to the original writer. Bad feelings can result unless communication betwixt all parties is honest and open.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
eraser, I was told not to use any of the quotes from the original article, so I lined up new ones and am conducting my own research to assuage my own conscience (plus, I don't always trust other people's research). I believe the by-line will be mine alone. I don't know what she said to the original writer...I'd be curious too, but I suppose it's really none of my business.

Thank you all for your replies! I feel a bit better.

Last edited:

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
If you're an accountant, and your boss comes to you and says, redo these numbers, so and so didn't do them right, and i need it done right, do you feel icky and say hey maybe so and so needs another chance? no. you say, right o and you redo the numbers.

I'm a carpenter. sometimes i get a phone call from my boss to go to a house and fix someone's work because it's not good enough and it needs to be redone correctly, because a fireplace mantle thats not constructed correctly nor sanded is not acceptable to be sold. i dont tell him, oh geez maybe get the other guy to go back and try to fix it even though he didn't do the job right the first time. lets give him another chance. i don't feel bad about fixing his mistake. if you dont do the job right, you dont get a second chance.

why is that different when it's about writing? if the article isn't good enough and the editor needs an article that is, why should you feel guilty about being able to do the job?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I agree with the others. Maybe you feel a little worse because you saw the original article and that made a bit of a personal connection to the other writer, even though you could see why the article was not suitable. The original issue is between that writer and the editor. Imagine that this were a case of someone providing a faulty consumer product that had to be returned and purchased elsewhere. In a sense, it's the same...the original writer did not meet the quality standards and you had nothing to do with that. You just another "store" to which the editor can come for a better quality "product" when the first doesn't work.

I haven't been in the exact same circumstance, but my first assignment for "Bird Talk" was a bit similar. Someone's piece wasn't suitable, so the editor contacted me to see if I could write something quickly. It was on a totally different topic that I had queried earlier. Quite honestly, I didn't feel bad for the original writer...not that I'm a cruel person, but I never really thought about him or her at all. It was strictly business to me, and that's what it boils down to for you as well.

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Don't feel bad. If the writer didn't do a satisfactory job, it is their own problem.

Not to be harsh or anything, but you have to turn in publishable work. It's what you are paid for.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's input! I feel much better now. I feel bad for other writer, but you're right...he should have done a better job in the first place.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Something I was thinking reading this thread is that your relationship with this editor is more important than the other writer possibly having hurt feelings. I'm glad the others were able to reassure you about this. :)

(And I think it's a compliment to your professionalism that the editor came to you with a project that needs a quick turnaround. Good stuff!)

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
(And I think it's a compliment to your professionalism that the editor came to you with a project that needs a quick turnaround. Good stuff!)

Totally. Actually, this happens with another magazine, too. Makes me feel all warm and squishy inside! :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The one part I wonder about is the editor actually sending you the other writer's article. It may be necessary so you know what to avoid, but it feels a bit like he's saying "just ignore this big elephant in the room."

It seems to me a submitted article is only "meant for" the editorial staff, not other writers or anyone else unless and until it's published. How would you (the indefinite you, anyone reading this) feel if you were the rejected author and the editor sent your submission to another author, saying "don't do it like this?"

Could this be part of the OP's discomfort with the situation? Could the OP write just as good an article without having seen the other article? Or does one HAVE to see the other article to "dance around" it?

I'm full of questions (or something!) tonight.

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I probably wouldn't feel too hot about that, either. She sent it to me thinking I could use some of the information in it, but I didn't feel comfortable using the other writer's research--plus it didn't have the focus she wanted.