• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Vanguard Literary Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCCARTHY

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so. Apparently Ms. Lu is now with Lori Perkins Literary Agency. Ms. Perkins forwarded my query to Ms. Lu:

Dunno what that means to all you experts.

Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie, so patience, please.

I sent a query to Ms. Lu on the 23rd of January and received a request for a partial, but here's the kicker. I sent it to and received it from the Vanguard Agency. Go figure!

I would be surprised if she could be working for two agencies at the same time, or are there two agents named Sandy Lu?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome McCarthy! Has Ms. Lu ever sold anthing in your genre? Anything at all? If not, I wouldn't bother sending her anything. You want an agent who gets stuff sold.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Publisher's Marketplace and AgentQuery still have the Vanguard info, but Query Tracker has her at Lori Perkins (comments from users pretty running parallel with what's going on here at AW). A search at AAR doesn't turn up anything for Ms. Lu in any case.

And the Vanguard site is still "under construction".

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same, Esopha, with all the formatting instructions and threat of instant rejection if they weren't followed perfectly. I'm guessing I shouldn't be holding my breath on this agent.

dylanjmorgan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, new here. So I stumbled onto this forum, this thread, because I googled Sandy Lu, basically to find out if the agent was female or male (let's face it, the name Sandy can be a gray area).

I'm posting this because I got the same as Esopha; a reply to my original query from Sandy Lu, sent from Lori Perkins Agency, after Ms. Perkins forwarded my query to Ms. Lu. Got virtually the same email content as Esopha too, first 45-50 pages, 2-page synopsis and brief bio.

I'm a little disheartened to read the comments here, I may be in for a long wait, but. . . she's not asked for an exclusive, and she asked for the partial to be sent via email so I'm not out of pocket with postage. I figured I'd send it and see what happens.

If I hear anything back, I'll post it here. Wish me luck.

Dylan.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

Good luck with Ms. Lu. As long as it isn't costing you anything, why not? I balked at snail mailing her the print out of a full.

Hope seems free, but you might pay the cost in disappointment later.

Last edited:

Lucky1111

Registered
Reaction score
Of late, has anyone received a response on a partial from her? I'm waiting three months.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm posting this because I got the same as Esopha; a reply to my original query from Sandy Lu, sent from Lori Perkins Agency, after Ms. Perkins forwarded my query to Ms. Lu. Got virtually the same email content as Esopha too, first 45-50 pages, 2-page synopsis and brief bio.

Same thing here. Sent it last night. Will let you know when I hear back.

My query was answered, according to the email trail, three hours after it reached Ms. Lu.

BonSue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SpiritsOfBelleviewBiltmore.com
I found this forum while looking for information on the Vanguard Literary Agency, after I had gone to their website looking for submission criteria and found the site was "under construction". Because I am still a novice looking for representation, I would have become very excited at a request for my entire manuscript and then very dissappointed if I received no response for six months! Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. I think I will steer clear of this agency and Ms. Lu, too!

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I guess I should have looked here first. I just got a request for a full ms (via e-mail) from Sandy Lu, with all the strange specifics regarding font and headers. She did not ask for an exclusive.

I'm really new at this and now I don't know if I should go ahead and send it or not. Is there any potential problem if I do?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.:Sun:

Writer911

Banned
Reaction score
Misselainie. If you have the material ready to go and you aren't going to spend a week putting it together to her liking you might send it to Ms. Lu. And then forgetaboutit because you may never hear from her again.
I wouldn't bother because I've been around this block with her, but I'm not you. What the heck, you never know. Lightening might strike. There is one thing. If someone else asks to read it you should tell them that another agent already has it.

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Writer911. I went ahead and sent it to her on the grounds that she's with the Lori Perkins Agency and Lori Perkins has a very good reputation. I didn't want to burn that bridge accidentally, and mayble I'll get lucky and Sandy Lu will get a grip and start behaving professionally now that she's in good company. Either that or I just wanted to send the damn thing to SOMEBODY and she's the only one who asked.

Writer911

Banned
Reaction score
Let's us know what happens. I'm probably not the only curious one out here.

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
She's had it for about two weeks now. In her request, she said that I should allow ten weeks for a response but that she would try to respond sooner. If and when I hear from her, I'll let you all know.

bmordha

Registered
Reaction score
Sandy Lu

Typical of so much on this thread: I just got a response to my query to Sandy. She asked for bio, 2-page synopsis, and first fifty pages. I plan on sending her all of this, and I'll see what happens!

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, bmordha. Did she specify all kinds of rules and regulations for your submittal - Times New Roman, name in one corner, page number in the other, put all three things in the same document, etc.?

FinalDraft

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and before I signed to be represented by Ms. Lu. I read this thread extensively. I'd gotten requests for partials from a handful of agents. However, Ms. Lu is the only one who read, requested, called and offered me representation. All in less than four months. I don't know where it will go from here, whether the book will sell or not. But as a first time author, who isn't on some crappy TV show or using a ghostwriter I think she's been really cool and helpful. She even made suggestions I later incorporated into the next revision. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Admittedly I'm new to this game. But if she's signing into L. Perkins doesn't that mean she's got to be about something? I'll soon find out and let you know from personal experiences.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I hope she delivers for you, FinalDraft.

If you get a chance, it would help a lot if you could find out what books she's sold to date, either on her own or with L. Perkins.

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have also only recently discovered this thread and found it interesting because Sandy Lu requested 50 pages, bio, and synop. I am still in the waiting process and would be very interested in the progress of others' from whom she has requested materials. FinalDraft, would you share more of your experience?

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi honoluluwriter. I sent her a full ms, bio and synopsis on 7/12 and she asked me to give her 10 weeks but said she'd finish quicker if she could. It's been just over 9 weeks so far. I haven't heard anything yet.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I queried Lori Perkins on 1/3/09. She turned my query over to Sandy Lu who then requested a partial, 50 pages, synopsis, etc. On 8/8/09 I emailed and polietly asked for an update. On 9/12/09 she sent me a fairly generic rejection. I'm not sure what took so long but.....that's my story!

Needless to say - I continued querying other agents.

Carlene
www.themysterystartshere.

Call Sign: Love #1 bestseller on Fictionwise August 2009!
The Colors of Death
www.writewordsinc.com

Stormy Love
The Worst Evil
www.whiskeycreekpress.com

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Carlene, sorry to hear of the rejection. I hope you are able to find another agent!

Misselainie, sounds like your scenerio is very similar to mine. I submitted at the end of July, so you are a couple weeks ahead of me on the waiting game. Like Carlene and several others, my query reached her by being forwarded from Ms. Perkins. Lori Perkins has a great reputation, so I am relying on that as support for Ms. Lu.

I really like this forum! I am "new" to seriously pursuing being published and appreciate everyone honesty :)

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
honoluluwriter, I'm using the same logic you are. Sandy Lu has a bit of a reputation as a non-responder, and nobody can find any sales she's made - but Lori Perkins has a great reputation and she's with the Perkins Agency. I'm hoping that Sandy Lu has acquired legitimacy by association. Let's hope we're both right. :Shrug:

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sandy Lu requested the usual partial -- 50 pages, bio, etc. -- from me six weeks ago. But I haven't followed up. The shared experiences in this thread give me pause. Besides, I'm waiting to hear from several other agents who have my full.

This sharing of experiences is what makes Absolutewrite such a valuable resource and underscores our duty to take the time to jot down what we've learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.