Best Dire Straits song?

Best Dire Straits song?

• Total voters

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I've had a couple of drinks and am getting maudlin, Brothers in Arms. Other than that, I judge them about equal.

Just an opinion.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Brothers in Arms, with So Far Away close behind, and the one, Latest trick? is that the title? like that one.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I like Sultans, mostly for the lead guitar.
I voted Sultans as well, but for Guitar George. He knows all the chords. Mind he's strictly rhythm, he doesn't want to make it cry or sing. And an old guitar is all he can afford when he gets up under the lights to play his thing.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Three, between which I can't decide:
- Sultans
- Six-Blade Knife
- The Gallery

There are a fair few right behind. One thing I love about them is how seriously great they sound without being flashy (although Money for Nothing has flash about it). A while ago, I heard an album Mark Knopfler made with Chet Atkins. Loved it.

Severian

Registered
Reaction score
Sultans for me because it just such a well-played but understated track. Money for Nothing is of course a close second.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Money For Nothing always makes me smile, but I have a special fondness for Walk of Life because it's played at every one of my cousins' weddings. My uncle Jimmy would always hit the dance floor and shout "Woo Hoo" at every turn.

I really like' em all.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
happy to (temporarily) break the tie in favor of "brothers in arms". magnificent song.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Romeo and Juliet for me... the dobro playing is terrific, and the lyrics make me smile.

Side note: I saw Dire Straits on their first tour. They were supporting The Climax Blues Band, and were just about to release their 1st album. It was obvious they were going to be huge, even though there were only about 80-100 people at that gig.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Romeo and Juliet as well, and you named the instrument, I didn't know that was a 'dobro.'

Sultans, Brothers in Arms, Tunnel of Love would also be on my list of classics though.