Writers And Cats?

superman skivvies

Wannabe Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I joined this board a couple of weeks ago and since then have been amazed by the obsession with cats. Or kitties. Or whatever. Personally I don't like cats for a number of reasons: 1) They always run away from me if I come within a thirty foot radius of where they are currently stalking 2) They are constantly shedding, causing a leisurely recline on the couch to end up in a shower and trip to the store for allergy relief 3) They scratch everything 4) Litter boxes are disgusting 5) They get their own calendars, etc., etc.

Which led me to believe there must be some correlation between writing and felines. Is there some unwritten law that all writers must love cats? And there is no denying you people love cats. I mean, there is a huge thread devoted to sayings in that weird kitty language. Anyway, I was just hoping someone could maybe clear this up for me. Has there been a study done on this? Perhaps at Berkeley? Does anyone else share my non-obsession with cats, or is everyone here insane?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Cats are interesting. Writers (mostly) are interested in interesting things.

Cats (mostly) are independent, quirky, and don't give a damn what you think of them. Not bad role models for a writer.

Personally, I'm as much a dog person as I am a cat person. Somewhat less of a people person.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I am a total cat lover. I am particularly fond of Siamese. I have the most beautiful purebred. Her name is Abigale but mostly she gets called Abbycat. Now I most recently adopted two beautiful babies from the Humane Society and for the first time in doing that I am having great success with them. They are loving and cuddly.

Cats don't like people who don't like them. Unlike people, they don't try to win your approval. Basically they have the attitude, if you don't like me well then, screw you. Or scratch you. :D

Besides, the kittehz photos you see are funny and say what we wouldn't dare to. We're not like cats. We edit our thoughts for the most part. :D

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I read your post, superman, and thought about it for a while. I think I may have figured it out! Cats don't have to be walked. There! That's it. You can write as long as you want without some animal pulling on your trousers begging you to quit.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love DOGS.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I read your post, superman, and thought about it for a while. I think I may have figured it out! Cats don't have to be walked. There! That's it. You can write as long as you want without some animal pulling on your trousers begging you to quit.
Yes, but without dogs convincing you it's time for a walk, you eventually get chairassitis, which is not a good thing no matter how much you get written.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I do a lot of thinking while walking my dog in the forest near my house. I write in my head during those walks. I need them. Cats are like pissed off furniture...useless, but angry. I just don't get them at all.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
Yeah. It's like two orbs floating around on different paths that eventually meet up when the time is right.

Think of an eclipse superman skivvies...

eclipse_path.gif

(website)

Last edited:

superman skivvies

Wannabe Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I do a lot of thinking while walking my dog in the forest near my house. I write in my head during those walks. I need them. Cats are like pissed off furniture...useless, but angry. I just don't get them at all.
Thank you

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you

You're welcome. You can find many posts from yours truly where I trash the kitties. I'm sure there are threads around here somewhere where the cat people have ganged up on me in unsuccessful attempts to kill the cat hater.

superman skivvies

Wannabe Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. You can find many posts from yours truly where I trash the kitties. I'm sure there are threads around here somewhere where the cat people have ganged up on me in unsuccessful attempts to kill the cat hater.
Well I guess you can consider me part of your cat-hater army. Go dogs!

Nicki B

Board Fanatic in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickib.tumblr.com
Cats are the cutest things, and considerably lower maintenance for a writer. They can mostly take care of themselves. Just put out the food, the water, and leave your cupboard doors open so they can find something to play with.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I find any animal interesting but in Australia I think there should be strong laws controlling the ownership of cats. They are major preditors of the native wildlife. That's the only thing I have against them. Also they frighten the spiders in the house. You've got to be realistic. Huntsman spiders might not be cuddly but they are useful!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Mumut, irresponsible idiots that let their cats roam free when they live in a bushland setting deserve to have their moggies "disappeared" by scary backwoodsmen with an interest in amateur taxidermy. Pity about the poor cats, they're just following their instincts. Same goes for idiot suburbanites who move to a hobby farm then let their beloved dogs run around the neighbourhood slaughtering sheep.