What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Parametric:
I registered a while ago but never really got into it.

OT but are you finding it easier to get into it the more you use it? I've had a number of people recommend goodreads to me because I keep a review blog and review on Amazon but it just hasn't appealed to me.

I've just started CHANGELING: ZOMBIE DAWN by Steve Feasey, which is the last in his 5 book series about the last hereditary werewolf. It's early days but I've found it a bit too exposition heavy so far - a lot of "here's what's been happening between books" - which I'm finding a bit dull to be honest. However there are some nice touches - a resurrected evil sorceress held together by insects is well described and a returning character from CHANGELING: BLOOD MOON - so I'll keep going. Plus there are zombies and everyone loves zombies.

MM

Macca

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd give The Hunger Games a go. Not bad and kept me interested until the end. Not the sort of thing I would usually read.

Prior to this, and as a complete contrast, I read Louis Sachar The Cardturner, which I enjoyed but had me thinking: how many young readers would see this through to the end? I know nothing of the card game bridge and felt my ignorance being tested throughout. Daring, however, for a YA writer to attempt to construct a narrative against the backdrop of an old fashioned card game, especially in the age of the video game.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Prior to this, and as a complete contrast, I read Louis Sachar The Cardturner, which I enjoyed but had me thinking: how many young readers would see this through to the end? I know nothing of the card game bridge and felt my ignorance being tested throughout. Daring, however, for a YA writer to attempt to construct a narrative against the backdrop of an old fashioned card game, especially in the age of the video game.
I wondered the same thing. I also enjoyed it (and recommended it to my dad, who loved it), but I don't know if teens would. And even though I enjoyed it, it was a slow read for me...although I read it in November, when NaNo steals my reading time

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Been reading more adult fic lately because it seemed like every YA novel I picked up I ending up not finishing. (I'm not even gonna say what they are because I feel really bad about not finishing some of them... you know how it is... when you feel like you're the only person in the entire YA community who *isn't* liking a certain book...)

Then yesterday I bought GETTING CAUGHT by Mandy Hubbard and Cyn Balog (only 99 cents on Kindle) and my faith in YA has been restored. Really fun read so far. :D

Why, thank you so much, Lydia! And another few sales and I will be able to get that cup of coffee I had my eye on :)

I'm reading All the Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin. I am on a dystopian and horror kick, probably because Halloween is coming up. And a world without caffeine? Scary.

Macca

Registered
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing. I also enjoyed it (and recommended it to my dad, who loved it), but I don't know if teens would. And even though I enjoyed it, it was a slow read for me...although I read it in November, when NaNo steals my reading time

In the edition I had, he gave you the option of skipping the really in-depth sections on bridge. In my quest to understand the intricacies of the game, I read them it all.

Didn't do any good. Still as ignorant as ever. ;)

Sandino

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandibjones.blogspot.com
I'm still reading Ashes by Bick, in weekly increments for a school book club. I love the combination of post-apocalyptic horror and romance!

However, I had to put down Chime. I loved the plot, the characters, and the originality. But ultimately, the sing-song voice and whimsical narrative got to me. It becomes almost laborious to read, which is why i think my students don't care for it, either. I'm a great fan of fairy tales, such as this, but not of oddball voices. Maybe I'm just lazy--lol!

RileyRedgate

It's not magic, it's waterbending!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rileyredgate.tumblr.com
Just finished GRACELING. (Man, I'm so behind the times!) I really enjoyed it - but then I went to Goodreads, and I was like, "Man, did I read the same book as these reviewers?" There were so many tirades on how Kristin Cashore was trying to promote a heartless soulless version of feminism. Honestly, I didn't even notice. XD I was so into the plot and Katsa's character that I automatically accepted Katsa's point of view on marriage - even though I disagree with it entirely - as her own, and not author self-insertion.

OH WELL! Let's see, what else have I been perusing? I re-read the Chaos Walking trilogy, by Patrick Ness - favorite series ever - and I'm planning to pick up A Monster Calls, his new book, pronto. I'm pumped to read it - I've never seen so many 5-star reviews on a goodreads front page.

I devoured Lola and the Boy Next Door; Stephanie Perkins has quickly become my favorite YA contemp author.

And I also inhaled the Monstrumologist series. Fun, fun, fun! And gory! And fun!

Last edited:

cornie

I'm a sucker for love stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
Just finished GRACELING. (Man, I'm so behind the times!) I really enjoyed it - but then I went to Goodreads, and I was like, "Man, did I read the same book as these reviewers?" There were so many tirades on how Kristin Cashore was trying to promote a heartless soulless version of feminism. Honestly, I didn't even notice. XD I was so into the plot and Katsa's character that I automatically accepted Katsa's point of view on marriage - even though I disagree with it entirely - as her own, and not author self-insertion.

Yes, I had the same experience. I liked GRACELING a lot, and I never once considered that Katsa's viewpoint might be somehow aggressively feminist. I think it's tough to portray any female characters with a stereotypically male viewpoint, because readers get up in arms. I think it's fine to have girly-girls, it's fine to have non-girly-girls, and it's fine to have everything in between. They all exist in reality, so why not in fiction?

I devoured Lola and the Boy Next Door; Stephanie Perkins has quickly become my favorite YA contemp author.

This is on my TBR pile. I adored ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, and I can't wait to get my paws on LOLA!

As for me, I just finished Holly Black's WHITE CAT. I have to say, it was a slow read for me. Got quicker toward the end, but I don't typically fall in love with noir mysteries.

Next up: I'm about to start AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR by Morgan Matson!

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Chime - Franny Billingsley.

I'm about half-way through. I can see why the person who rec'd it to me did so. There's a common ground between it and When the Sea is Rising Red although I freely (if somewhat sadly, heh) admit that Chime is the superior book, in my opinion.

(and yes, I am so lime jello, but in a good way. :D I'm inspired)

Last edited:

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Pledge by Kimberly Derting. Starting off kinda slow but I'm hoping it picks up.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Parts of it were intriguing, especially the descriptions of the circus and the magic involved. That part was brilliant, but the exciting description on the cover jacket didn't accurately reflect what happened in the book and there didn't seem to be much of an actual plot. In addition, I thought that it was supposed to be a young adult book (I've seen it on YA book blogs and such), but I'm not sure why aside from the fact that the characters were kids when the "competition" starts. The book covers 16 years and although they don't age in that time frame they ought to be aging intellectually, so again, not sure why it's labeled as YA.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think that one was being marketed as YA

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely loving Rebecca Lim's MERCY. The protagonist is great fun - tough as nails and hilariously blunt, but with plenty of compassion. I'm into the climax and really enjoying it.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think that one was being marketed as YA

I won it from a blog that I'm pretty sure was for YA. I did look on Amazon and B&N and although it didn't specify an age, I noticed that it was being bought by people who were buying YA. Maybe it's the crossover thing like Strawberry said.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I am reading an ARC of Pyxis:The Discovery by K.C Neal. I was asked to read and review it. So yay for free books.
So far... it's good, the review won't however be up until November 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.