Last Movie You Watched...

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Bridesmaids...laughed my A$$ off. One of the funniest movies I've seen in a loooong time. Much, much better than I had anticipated. Hubs loved it too. I swear Kristin Wiig is like the female Ben Stiller. She is hilarious.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Four Lions, a wicked black comedy about terrorism. Well worth the watch.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Found my Dragon From Russia DVD - I had forgotten about the wire-fu completely. Not as good as the Mark Dacascos remake, but still an entertaining film (though not what I went looking for).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I ACCUSE--saw this on Netflix and thought it sounded interesting so I added it to my instant cue. Months later, I finally watched it and it was pretty darn good. I gave it a 4/5 stars on their rating. It was based on a true story, but I found the the ending to be kinda shocking. *SPOILER* Like I just hung my mouth open thinking, WTF? Did the doc really say this? In court? To the jury? And think he would be found not guilty? Was he really that cocky and so full of himself and think he was so high and mighty that he could tell the jury what he did and they would think the jury would set him free?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
The Making of 'And God Spoke.' Mockumentary about the making of a biblical epic. I lmao. If you take your religion dreadfully seriously, probably not for you, but if you have a sense of humor about it, you should enjoy the misquotes, the Cain and Abel of Lou Ferrigno and Andy Dick, the tattooed Eve. Probably funniest to people in the film industry, who will recognize the surly teamsters, creative craft services guy, and crises on set, but I'm not in the industry and enjoyed it plenty. Saw it for free through imdb.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
Two flicks over the rainy weekend...One was awesome and the other was abysmal.

Safety Not Guaranteed - 4/5
I loved this movie. awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73jSnAs7mq8

Youth in Revolt 1/5
I only gave it a "1" instead of a zero because it had two laugh out loud parts. Otherwise, this was the worst movie I've seen in a long time. abysmal, atrocious, and a waste of time.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Premonition--Asian horror starring I have no idea who.

So very, very good. Did I mention it's very, very good? Because it is. And it has one of the most satisfying endings ever. (I didn't say happy. Just satisfying.) It's so good that if I can find a copy I'm buying it.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Premonition--Asian horror starring I have no idea who.

So very, very good. Did I mention it's very, very good? Because it is. And it has one of the most satisfying endings ever. (I didn't say happy. Just satisfying.) It's so good that if I can find a copy I'm buying it.

Oooh! Thanks for the rec! I LOVE horror and I LOVE foreign horror!! Will def be checking this one out. Have you seen A Tale of Two Sisters? That one was also very good!

Just watched Troubled Waters with Jessica Beals. It was meh. gave it 3/5 starts on Netflix. The acting was a little lame for me at times (Not Jessica, she was actually decent) and little predictable for me, but I just had a hard time with the way the mother/father reacted to their child being kindnapped. Especially the mother. Her eyes should have been swollen and puffy and red from crying. She wasn't believable to me at all.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
melly, have you seen Infection or Voices? Infection will give you major hospital phobia. Very creepy.

Back when the Sundance Channel showed more Asian horror, they played horror from Vietnam. Different and interesting. The one I remember is about a bunch of soldiers marching to someplace through huge fields. There's a house in the middle, and they stop at it. Things get gradually weirder and weirder after that. I think it was based on a traditional Vietnamese ghost story, but don't remember--it's been several years since I've seen it.

Another one whose name I don't remember is about a priest who works at a hospital and who goes on sabbatical or just throws in the towel. He rents a room in a dress shop/fabric store. The son and his wife live there with the mother, and the daughter-in-law is treated like dirt by both of them. The priest has an affair with the daughter-in-law and they decide to kill her husband. The freaky ramps up at an increasing pace after that.

I'm sorry I don't remember either title.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
melly, have you seen Infection or Voices? Infection will give you major hospital phobia. Very creepy.

Back when the Sundance Channel showed more Asian horror, they played horror from Vietnam. Different and interesting. The one I remember is about a bunch of soldiers marching to someplace through huge fields. There's a house in the middle, and they stop at it. Things get gradually weirder and weirder after that. I think it was based on a traditional Vietnamese ghost story, but don't remember--it's been several years since I've seen it.

Another one whose name I don't remember is about a priest who works at a hospital and who goes on sabbatical or just throws in the towel. He rents a room in a dress shop/fabric store. The son and his wife live there with the mother, and the daughter-in-law is treated like dirt by both of them. The priest has an affair with the daughter-in-law and they decide to kill her husband. The freaky ramps up at an increasing pace after that.

I'm sorry I don't remember either title.

I haven't seen any of those. I will check them all out. The soldier haunted house one sounds especially intriguing. The thing I find I really like with the foreign horror is the slower pace. I just find it a bit creepier, especially with the way they film some of them with those quiet spots and the panning around of gorgeous scenery.

I did see a really good Thai/ghost story that was pretty awesome called Dorm. The kid who played the MC was FANTASTIC.

ETA: Just went to check out what's available for streaming on Netflix and I think I found the soldier one. Does R-Point sound like the one? I think it might be it. I just added a crap load of horror movies to my cue so I'm set for a while. Infection is only available through dvd so that one will have to wait until after hubs and I see True Blood (the last season), which we are going to start watching this weekend :D

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
R-Point is amazing. It takes two viewings to pick up all the stuff at the start of the film, but it is something I would have watched over and over again anyway.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
what do you mean it takes two viewings to pick up all the stuff?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The question of which elements are real and which are imagined, the US soldiers meeting has foreshadowing, or... something in the dialogue (the pay-off comes too close after the meeting, but you can have fun pondering if what they said was in full knowledge of their earlier deaths), and there is a lot of play made with the photograph taken of the group at the start of the film.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, you have me TOTALLY intrigued. Look forward to checking it out. Almost watched it tonight but I think hubs might want to watch this one with me.

I watched Wilderness tonight. It was decent. 3/5 stars. Lots of good bloody scenes though :D

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I had a 1950's black and white s-f movie marathon the past two days in celebration of completing my novel draft.

The Land Unknown. UPI lost-continent movie with surprisingly good special effects and a bunch of actors with great legs. The best of this lot.

Tarantula, another UPI film with John Agar. Nukes, big spiders, cows get eaten, Nestor Paiva does a Walter Brennan impersonation.

I Married a Monster from Outer Space: As bad as the title implies it will be. Woman notices husband and townsfolk are getting a little possessed. But she has a big bosom, so the alien husband falls in love with her despite never having experienced love before.

Kronos. The description says it's about an alien machine that lands and starts sucking up energy, which would be interesting and topical, but that's only 10% of the movie. Another 10% has boy scientist, girl scientist, and boy scientist on a romantic vacation in Mexico, which they either didn't notice is strange or was ground-breaking for its day.