• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Omnific Publishing

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
None of that is exactly "disturbing" since author collectives do exist. But, why are they hiding their identities by using pseudonyms? Strange.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not disturbed by them being an author collective. Pooling resources to publish one another is a fine idea. I'm concerned that they are trying hard not to appear as one. This to me is a misrepresentation that has real consequences for someone who is thinking about publishing with them--it's reasonable to want to know if the house in question is mostly publishing books by their staff.

Last edited:

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not disturbed by them being an author collective. Pooling resources to publish one another is a fine idea. I'm concerned that they are trying hard not to appear as one. This to me is a misrepresentation that has real consequences for someone who is thinking about publishing with them--it's reasonable to want to know if the house in question is mostly publishing books by their staff.

Agreed. Which takes us back to why they are doing this? It appears an attempt to hide something.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
To give them the benefit of the doubt (which I try to, as I have gotten to know some of their authors and they are lovely ladies whose books I'd like to see succeed), the pen names may be because much of what they've published is erotica, and it is common to use a pen name in that genre. At the same time, it would be just as easy to say on the staff bio page, "So-and-so is also the author of TITLE, writing as pen name."

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
95% of their titles are reworked all-human Twilight fan fiction. I'm not even sure author collective is a good descriptor, since what it mainly appears to be is a group of fanfic authors told their fics were "good enough to publish" who are then doing little more than filing and self-pubbing, only the "publisher" and the "certified editors" get to skim off whatever pittance they'd be making on CreateSpace.

I think what pp said about erotica is dead on the money; I've noticed that one of their authors is shopping another book. I wonder what agents think when they see a prior credit published through here.

A friend actually bought one of the books, and it's rife with typos, grammar issues, etc. The "editing" is really filing and "certified" doesn't mean anything other than sounding fancy; I'm fairly certain not one person on "staff" has any publishing experience other than fan fiction.

I'd take my novel, assign Twilight character names, and put it online as fan fiction before I'd send it to Omnific.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
In reply to the above response, I have been published recently with Omnific Publishing and I can honestly say I have had a very positive experience. Some of the titles released by Omnific Publishing and on their website started out life as fanfiction, there are plenty that didn't and more to come. Omnific is not a collective of fanfic authors getting together and it's not a way to self-publish. My full respect goes out to those who have the know how and funding to self-publish but I am the first to admit I don't and never considered going that route.

My YA novel was never a fanfiction, I had no connection with anyone in Omnific Publishing either in real life or through fanfiction before I submitted with a query in the normal way. I then submitted 3 chapters and received a full request. I found them to be prompt and professional right from the start. I was delighted to be offered a contract and was advised to get my own solicitor to go over it before signing. I actually had two solicitors (one literary) look at it and was advised it was a typical e-book and POD contract. There was no hidden clauses and I certainly haven't signed away every book I'll ever write as I've heard suggested somewhere else on the web. I won't go into details. I don't speak legal and that's why I had my solicitors look at it.

After all that I entered the editing stage. My editors let me away with nothing, there was intensive edits done with 3 editors in stages. I feel I was guided and pushed at the same time but the end result was far beyond my expectations, so in my opinion worth my 6 months of work in editing. From speaking with other Omnific authors it seems to me the editing process is rigorous for everyone and goes far beyond filing off numbers for the manuscripts that did start life as All Human Twilight Fanfiction. I was kept in the loop every step of the way.

I was asked for input on the final cover too, which I was delighted and surprised about. It was down to 3 by the time I was asked which I thought represented the story best. I was aware the ultimate decision wasn't mine and was delighted when my favorite was picked.

An announcement was made and review requests sent out, a blog tour was set up on my behalf, that is happening in February. If my book doesn't sell, they don't make their money back. It's as simple as that. Omnific's marketing team guides authors through setting up social network connections, although I had this done already. I receive regular emails regarding promoting my book on the internet and other avenues. Omnific send out review copies on request. I have never been asked to pay any money up front at any point of the process. They have never tried to sell my books back to me. I did purchase some extra copies for family and friends at a reduced rate on top of the ones I already received free as part of my contract. I had to approach them about the purchase a few weeks ago and as usual they were pleasant and helpful getting the books to me before Christmas.

So far it is early days but I have received some great reviews and I'm very pleased with the response as well as the almost daily contact I still have with members of the Omnific Publishing team. Of course all the authors are out there pushing their books, we are with a small publisher who has limited resources and we were all aware of that upon signing up. We want our individual books to be successful and I know personally I want Omnific to grow because I would love to work with them again. I don't doubt for a second that Omnific is here to stay and will expand slowly and steadily into this year and beyond.

The other books I've read from Omnific have been highly enjoyable, look beautiful and are edited and presented as well as any shop bought books I've purchased this year.

At the moment my book is on Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle, Amazon.co.uk in Kindle, B&N nook, on Omnific's own site as paperback, e-book(PDF) and e-pack (PDF, EPUB and MOBI). Again, plans to expand on this in the future.

So that is my personal experience with Omnific Publishing. Obviously different publishers suit different people and they won't suit everyone here. I hope some find my insight a little helpful. It's 4.40am here so I also hope I make sense.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like some of their books were really successful. Has anyone else heard anything more on them?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I did some searching and found out that a big publisher took on another couple of their books.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ing-at-auction-in-a-major-deal-191215161.html

Call me stupid, but how does this happen exactly? After Omnific acquires the book and if the book does amazinly good a big pub will pick it up? Or does the author look for the agent afterwards and the agent does the work? I see that Ms. Knight has made all these deals. However it happens, I find it really interesting.

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
They also sold Emma Chase's Tangled in a large deal. That book then dropped off their site as did Emma as one of their authors, so i suspect they either sold their rights for a settlement OR they took a 15% agent's cut and Emma got an advance, assuming Emma wasn't already agented.

I subbed my MS a few days ago and just got a request for a full, so very quick on the query / synopsis and we seemed to have skipped the first 3 chapters only as their stated step 2, which is nice. I'm excited about the opportunity given i adored Alice Clayton's and Emma Chase's works.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They requested the full from me, I think they even offered a revision. They wanted me to pump up the romance in a big way and the book is more a mystery/suspense. Romance isn't my forte, although, I do have some, just not enough I guess.

I said I would think about it, but never got back to them on it, not yet at least. Not sure I want to go that route.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
They hit the Amazon best seller lists a lot. Congrats on the full request and R and R Lisa! <3

April Marie

Registered
Reaction score
They also sold Emma Chase's Tangled in a large deal. That book then dropped off their site as did Emma as one of their authors, so i suspect they either sold their rights for a settlement OR they took a 15% agent's cut and Emma got an advance, assuming Emma wasn't already agented.

I subbed my MS a few days ago and just got a request for a full, so very quick on the query / synopsis and we seemed to have skipped the first 3 chapters only as their stated step 2, which is nice. I'm excited about the opportunity given i adored Alice Clayton's and Emma Chase's works.

Have you heard back from Omnific about your full manuscript? If so, how long did it take them to get back to you?

missmaryb

ReadItWrite
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query on 2/24 and just received a request for a full.

missmaryb

ReadItWrite
Registered
Reaction score
I did, April. I received an offer from them today after I nudged them because I had received an offer from another publisher. Super excited, obviously, but I've gotten offers from 4 total. They did come in a day late after my deadline, but the response was still very prompt.

Last edited:

uberellis

Implausible Docs - Unlikely Sources
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for this informative thread-- it caused me to join AW.
I've been writing for years, both speculative fiction and as a tech writer, but hadn't submitted anything for ~16 years. A friend posted in on a social media site a call for submissions for an Omnific published anthology of American Revolutionary-era erotica called Taking Liberties. After checking out the guidelines, I knew I could do a quick "historical found document" [which is what really like to I write] about a secret espionage operation that shored up an easy victory for Gen. Washington at Trenton. It was clever, and I thought worth a shot. Anyway, it got accepted, and I was sent a contract. The friend who brought the call for submissions to my attention is a member of a local [New England] small-press house and a lawyer, so I had her check it out. There is some commission payment framework involved, but I was happier just getting published-- as most of you, I have quite a collection of rejection letters. I emailed back the signed contract electronically to Elizabeth Harper, and sent the hard copy via Priority USPS to their LA, CA address. The hard copy came back to me with a notice of "not at this address." Which struck me as very strange and caused me to search for exactly a thread like this. And the person at Omnific who is is their promoter/marketer and notified my friend of the initial call, sent me some HTML to post on my blog that was an advertisement for something entirely unrelated. Also, the jpg promoting the anthology [below] has a bad link.

10366294_698057766921136_5764200181932882180_n.jpg

This all has happened in the past few days and seems very strange...
Anybody have any idea about what gives?
Thanks, Erk

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for this informative thread-- it caused me to join AW.
I've been writing for years, both speculative fiction and as a tech writer, but hadn't submitted anything for ~16 years. A friend posted in on a social media site a call for submissions for an Omnific published anthology of American Revolutionary-era erotica called Taking Liberties. After checking out the guidelines, I knew I could do a quick "historical found document" [which is what really like to I write] about a secret espionage operation that shored up an easy victory for Gen. Washington at Trenton. It was clever, and I thought worth a shot. Anyway, it got accepted, and I was sent a contract. The friend who brought the call for submissions to my attention is a member of a local [New England] small-press house and a lawyer, so I had her check it out. There is some commission payment framework involved, but I was happier just getting published-- as most of you, I have quite a collection of rejection letters. I emailed back the signed contract electronically to Elizabeth Harper, and sent the hard copy via Priority USPS to their LA, CA address. The hard copy came back to me with a notice of "not at this address." Which struck me as very strange and caused me to search for exactly a thread like this. And the person at Omnific who is is their promoter/marketer and notified my friend of the initial call, sent me some HTML to post on my blog that was an advertisement for something entirely unrelated. Also, the jpg promoting the anthology [below] has a bad link.

This all has happened in the past few days and seems very strange...
Anybody have any idea about what gives?
Thanks, Erk

I believe they are a digital first publisher and digital first publishers tend to do everything via email. I wouldn't bother trying to snail mail them anything.

I have no personal experience with this publisher, and have no idea if they treat authors well, but I do notice that they have had books that have hit the best seller lists on Amazon so perhaps they have a good marketing team.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they paid Mr. Cumberbatch for the use of his likeness.
That was my first thought as well. Maybe they thought having that title right up by his face made it seem cheeky rather than actionable?