• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Firbolg Publishing

stout

Trying to live the author's dream.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonketchum.com
I've just found a call for submissions for an anthology from Firbolg Publishing that perfectly matches a story of mine. Has anyone had dealings with Firbolg Publishing before? I searched the forum but came up with zero results.

Edit: Oops, I should have added that link. My mistake.

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
http://www.firbolgpublishing.com/

Mostly does reprints of gothic novels and gothic inspired anthologies. Covers are decent. Gives a strong impression of being a one man show, which can be an issue if that one man gets ill etc. It's hard to tell how long they've been around. Not a great fan of the website (I'd like to see all the books on one page rather than having to click through each menu item). Despite only linking to amazon, books do appear to be available from other retailers. Seems like the sort of venture to makes its owner decent money, since the anthologies are either non-paid or flat fee and a lot of the catalogue is out of print. Whether it's good for a writer depend on what you're looking for.

The author pool is pretty small, so I don't know if you'll get anyone with direct experience with them as a writer speaking up. Personally, I'd buy one of the anthologies to get a better idea of the formatting/editing/quality of the original work. If you like it, and you're happy with $50 and a contributor copy for your story (presuming you're subbing to one of the paid anthologies, not the unpaid e-only ones), I'd definitely consider it.

As a massive gothic novel aficionado (I actually made it through all two hundred and something chapters of Varney the Vampire!) I'm actually quite tempted by some of their stuff.

stout

Trying to live the author's dream.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonketchum.com
http://www.firbolgpublishing.com/

Mostly does reprints of gothic novels and gothic inspired anthologies. Covers are decent. Gives a strong impression of being a one man show, which can be an issue if that one man gets ill etc. It's hard to tell how long they've been around. Not a great fan of the website (I'd like to see all the books on one page rather than having to click through each menu item). Despite only linking to amazon, books do appear to be available from other retailers. Seems like the sort of venture to makes its owner decent money, since the anthologies are either non-paid or flat fee and a lot of the catalogue is out of print. Whether it's good for a writer depend on what you're looking for.

The author pool is pretty small, so I don't know if you'll get anyone with direct experience with them as a writer speaking up. Personally, I'd buy one of the anthologies to get a better idea of the formatting/editing/quality of the original work. If you like it, and you're happy with $50 and a contributor copy for your story (presuming you're subbing to one of the paid anthologies, not the unpaid e-only ones), I'd definitely consider it.

As a massive gothic novel aficionado (I actually made it through all two hundred and something chapters of Varney the Vampire!) I'm actually quite tempted by some of their stuff.

Thank you for the excellent advice. It's a story I feel is quite strong and well-written, but not in a style commonly accepted in modern professional markets. I've submitted it around a lot and it's been rejected by the big names, so I figured I'd try for something smaller. I'm fine with the payment offered by Firbolg at this point, and would like to place the piece if I can. Again, thanks for the comments.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Their reissued public domain work is outselling their original titles. The covers all seem to used free art and amateur design, and the website is awful.

There is a good niche for this press and they seem to select interesting stories. But I am not sure I would want to be associated with their brand as it currently is.

I think true gothic is about ready to rise again. But I am not sure Firbolg will catch the wave. Just my opinion.