The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently no luck here. Enjoyed the premise, but "not taken with the characters".

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a minute before I posted.

Sucks especially since we are continuing a conversation from last summer when she had a partial and I got an offer, so the subject of the e-mail had my heart soaring for a second, "Re: Offer of Representation".

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
(((Drachen)))
Luckily you can cuddle your beautiful little girl to feel better.
Do you have others out there? (manuscripts, not babies ;))
After what you went through with your agent, I'm sure karma has some good stuff coming your way.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Three other manuscripts, two other kids.

She can't have read much, the previous rejection came a half-hour before mine.

I'm not sure if Karma works through e-mail, and I don't think it really works that way (I do belive in Karma in the sociological/psychological sense, not the mystical).

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's a sign. My reception with agents has always been lukewarm at best, but the one round of subs I did to pretty high end publishers, two of whom are not even close to being matches in my mind, netted me one who read the whole thing, gave lots of constructive feedback, and seems somewhat receptive to a second viewing. I'm beginning to think I'll have a better chance simply representing myself and approaching all the good publishers who deal in SF&F. It seems to be the best genre if you're going to represent yourself, as there are a half-dozen major imprints who accept author submissions.

So, two more weeks to get my submissions together for the six big SF&F imprints I can submit to, and I'm just going to press ahead, agents be damned.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Plus, once you get an offer, you can chase agents. That's how I got mine, though for one project only. I'm on probation until she reads more of my genre stuff, and decides if she likes my voice. I hope she does. She's a kingmaker.

Keep at it. I think you are close, and approaching publishers might be a good move.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I read an article a few months back about how there's a heavy anti-male bias in the publishing industry. I think my book is a real 'guy' book. It doesn't exclude women, all of my betas have been women and they've all really enjoyed it, but I think 90% of the agents I query turn me down pretty quickly, because it's not 'their thing', even if they do enjoy it.

The intern who absolutely loved my manuscript was a guy, and I wonder now if my agent ever even read the thing. It certainly would explain a lot about her odd behaviour.

I'm hoping it's an easier sell to editors, because they're strictly looking for what will sell, and not something they have to 'get behind' and love.

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Drachen,
Your baby girl is beautiful!!!!

Sorry to hear @ the R. Luckily we can always keep writing when things get us down :)

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the baby Drachen. She's a cutie.

Again dropping in to wish everyone good luck this week. Last week was painfully quiet for me because my agent was at a conference in PA and away from email. Sometimes I hope for R's just to alleviate the suspense.

st22

Registered
Reaction score
Misses- Yes, an R today would be nice. At least you'd know someone somewhere GLANCED at your work :)

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Great news, everyone! The Beggar's Opera will be published in the US!

I think there will be a subtitle added, probably "An Inspector Ramirez Mystery" but it will be published by a brand new Penguin imprint called Pintail. Pre-orders in August -- I'm not sure when the book/e-book will be in bookstores but I'm thrilled!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Drachen, sorry for the R. But baby Josephine is SO adorable! :D

Peggy, YAY!

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Silver, I can't wait to read your book! (I've been reading the quotes on Stacy's twitter and they are awesome!!!) Plus, good to know it was an R&R for all us R&Rers. How long did it take you to complete the revisions and send it out? Care to share some stats? (Only if you want to.)
Oh, and with the signings, I work at a bookstore and get heart palpitations and a sick stomach every time we have a signing because I worry so much for the author - that not enough people will stop by for them. In the end people are always curious and end up buying a copy and chatting to the author, but still, nerves of steel to put yourself out there like that. My boss and I joke around about book signings when/if I ever get published. I always say I'll just work behind counter discreetly and sign when someone asks, lol.
Just saw your message J Buck..well here's how it went for me. Sept 2012- request for R&R. Mind you I had to add 2 new characters- so it took me 6 weeks- offer made Nov. 2012. However, my agent pushed the editor and told her we were going to send the revised manuscript to other editors if we didn't hear back from her by a certain date.
I was against doing this, but it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.