The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
So...I have a question for other obsessive compulsive types who check their blog stats for hits from NYC. Have you noticed any correlation between interest and hits? I haven't to this point, but also had something kind of weird happen. In the past (I've been at this for a WHILE, so have many rounds of sub experience to draw from) I've only gotten a couple of NYC hits, and usually several weeks after my ms was submitted to them. One appeared to be an intern who really liked my ms (she left a comment on my blog, which was incredibly nice), though the ed wasn't so enamored and didn't bite. Since I have yet to get a "yes" I can say that none of those hits ever amounted to anything.
BUT...and this is the weird thing. I just went out on sub Weds...and both pubs that have so far asked to see the ms have already googled me. Like, same day or a day after receiving the ms. I'm guessing this is just for their records or something? But that's never happened before. I am DETERMINED to not read anything into it, but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Is there a trend of editors googling authors more consistently these days, like just as part of their "in-processing" procedure? That's what I'm guessing it is. Right??

You've already gotten answers on this, but can I say how relieved I am that other people do this? My hits give the name of the company if editors/agents check my blog at work, so I always know who is looking and it drives me insane. The publisher I'm currently waiting on checked out my blog on Friday and spent some time browsing all the dumb gifs I made of myself.

I had no idea what to think about that, but I'm assuming interest remains if they're searching for me online (I write with a penname, so you'd have to do a little digging to find me)

Anyway...IS IT MONDAY YET. *slams head on desk*

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
You have to go back through the thread to fully understand the spezna, but it's a cocktail we developed here in Hell after I had a very hot Russian contractor who had been a spezna in the Russian Special Forces. I kept posting stuff about how he'd take his shirt off and flex his chest muscles while he was putting down flooring. He didn't speak English well and some of what he said was pretty funny, and a lot of it was steamy.

We Hellions finally named a drink in his honour that was made out of peppered vodka and kahlua, I think -- different people had different variations.

Noompsy, if you have a chance to go back through the old threads and read this, it really is worth it. :)

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
You have to go back through the thread to fully understand the spezna, but it's a cocktail we developed here in Hell after I had a very hot Russian contractor who had been a spezna in the Russian Special Forces. I kept posting stuff about how he'd take his shirt off and flex his chest muscles while he was putting down flooring. He didn't speak English well and some of what he said was pretty funny, and a lot of it was steamy.

Flashback :drool

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahaha, Rosie. Yes, Noompsy, as JB says, you should go back to the Slava saga. I think one of the funniest moments was when I found out he'd been a spezna and asked him if he'd ever killed anyone ...

He said, "What for, kill when I can punch." And then he showed me how he would do punch someone, bobbing and weaving. (This of course again required that he be shirtless.) And then he said, "But you, lady, if someone hurts you, of course I kill him." And grinned.

Sigh.....

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The official results won't be out until April 5th but as of midnight last night when voting ended, The Beggar's Opera was still in the lead for the CBC Bookie for Best Mystery/Thriller. So thank you all for voting! And a big thanks to Drachen for cajoling, posting, voting, reposting, nagging people to vote, and just being a great friend through all of this - can't thank him enough.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. So I logged on tonight and my lion avatar was replaced with 'Avatar Theif was Here...'
What is this? Is this an AW joke thing I don't know about or has somebody hacked into my account?
Sorry if I'm being paranoid, but WTF???
Please, if anybody can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. (I've changed it back now, btw).

Oops, because of my ranting I forgot to congratulate you, Peggy! :)

Last edited:

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I get it now, lol. April Fools Day. But over here it's past noon, so I'm not a fool, right? ;)

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
JBuck Happy April Fools!

PEGGY- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicNotCheap

Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially cyberstalking all of the editors who have my proposal. That's completely appropriate and normal, right? RIGHT?! Yeah, thought so.

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
Cyber-stalking is like being in love = The first thing (thought) when you wake up and the last thing (thought) before you go to sleep.

Now I hope no editor ever reads this *cringe*.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Submission limbo: agent at conference, editor not returning to editorial discussions until mid-April, me still nervy that the deal might not happen at all.

I honestly don't know which to work on, the scenes in book #1 that I know they're going to want changed, or my outline for book #2 (which depends on which storylines they want purged or changed.)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially cyberstalking all of the editors who have my proposal. That's completely appropriate and normal, right? RIGHT?! Yeah, thought so.

*nods*

Cyber-stalking is like being in love = The first thing (thought) when you wake up and the last thing (thought) before you go to sleep.

Except the editor doesn't yet know she/he is supposed to be in love with you? :)

Sorry for the limbo jitters, Filagree.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score

Absolutely.

Also, how do you check who looked at your blog? I have analytics, but it doesn't give those types of details.

PEGGY, WOOT! WOOT!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy, congrats! That's awesome!

I'm still at the stage where I don't want to cyber-stalk or know anything about the editors, because a rejection from someone who's just a name to me hurts less. Three haven't responded after two months, and that doesn't seem promising.

Not that I'm one to talk, since I've had unanswered story pitches sitting in my inbox for months!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
WHOOOO HOOOOO, PEGGY!!!!! :partyguy: :partyguy: :partyguy:

Making my way home from a whirlwind NY trip, which I can't remember if I told you guys about. First signed a bunch of "limited edition hardcopies" in Virginia, then train to NYC, then, just, fun stuff. Lunch with agent. Meeting up with other writer friends. And a book launch for my next book -- lunch at a Mexican restaurant with tacos and margaritas! It was really successful and a ton of fun. Then bowling with RHPS. Then to Sacramento, for Left C0ast Cr1me. Now I'm in SF. I have a thing in Berkeley tomorrow. Home Wednesday night. Where I really need to finish Book #3, along with a buncha stuff for Book #2 release. It's been extremely busy and extremely gratifying.

washingtonienne

Writing, running or drinking
Registered
Reaction score
OL it sounds like you're living the dream! Have a well-deserved good time.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

Oh my gosh I do this non-stop. I actually cyberstalked one earlier and she tweeted about a rejection and I'm now hysterically refreshing my inbox and will do so for the next few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.