Jealous of Another Author's Work?

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
I agree with J.S.F. I admire good, successful writers, but the wildly successful ones I don't like is a different story. I'm not sure if jealous is the exact word, but it's probably a mixture of jealousy, anger, and bewilderment. "I hate this story, why is this writer a millionaire with a movie deal?" But obviously other people do like the story!

adipose

Registered
Reaction score
Of course. Especially John Green. Especially TFIOS. That is such a special book. But I try to remind myself that I'm only 22, and I have a lot of time ahead of me to succeed, and at least I am TRYING to achieve my dreams, which is more than I could have said a year ago.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite jealous of two writers in AW who shall remain nameless. Luckily, they don't write for the same market so that somehow makes me feel better.

maybegenius

might be a giant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maybegenius.blogspot.com
I'm definitely more of the self-doubting type than the jealous type when it comes to better writers. My jealousy tends to be reserved for the flare-ups I get when yet another Twilight fanfic got scrubbed and picked up for six figures and then I'm cocooning myself in a blanket and going WHHHHYYYYYYYYYY.

I just try to remember that the pro-level books that make my heart ache have probably gone through extensive rewrites and professional editing and lots and lots and lots of tweaking before they get to that level. I've only had a taste of it when working with my agent, and it's unbelievable what a professional literary eye can coax out of you simply by pointing out something you can't believe you missed. They don't tell you what to write (or at least, they shouldn't), but they make a comment here and a suggestion there and suddenly you write a paragraph and you're like HOW DID THAT COME OUT OF ME.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
I just try to remember that the pro-level books that make my heart ache have probably gone through extensive rewrites and professional editing and lots and lots and lots of tweaking before they get to that level. I've only had a taste of it when working with my agent, and it's unbelievable what a professional literary eye can coax out of you simply by pointing out something you can't believe you missed. They don't tell you what to write (or at least, they shouldn't), but they make a comment here and a suggestion there and suddenly you write a paragraph and you're like HOW DID THAT COME OUT OF ME.

Yes, this. A million times this. Seriously, NO ONE has a golden pen, no matter what they think. An author doesn't just wake up one day and hone magic and beauty in the first pass. They spend so much time on their craft, pass it through crit partners, pass it through an agent, pass it through editors, and everyone says, "Clean this up" or "Go a little further." It takes a lot of time and multiple keen eyes to get there. Of course, the writer will have talent and ability to string words together, but few writers are truly solitary recluses who never bounce their work off anyone.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My jealousy is usually reserved for artists in other media. I feel like writing a great book is possible for me, but I doubt I'll ever write a great movie, or paint a beautiful picture, or compose a song as good as I'd like.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely more of the self-doubting type than the jealous type when it comes to better writers. My jealousy tends to be reserved for the flare-ups I get when yet another Twilight fanfic got scrubbed and picked up for six figures and then I'm cocooning myself in a blanket and going WHHHHYYYYYYYYYY.

This. Definitely. This.

Then again, trends clearly show that the market is looking for the next Twilight regardless of if the book's genre is paranormal or not. The series' formula is rather iconic regardless of if you despise the characters and the values of the actual story. It's rather sad, but true.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Agreed.

I mean, jeez, I understand publishers wanting to squeeze as much cash as they possibly can out of a trend. But readers? I don't get reading the same story over and over again—and paying for it at that. Just read the fan fiction for free. It's all over the internet. Why are you paying $8+ for it?

I suppose my attitude would be different if any of the stories were truly original or, I dunno, really good, but as it stands, they're all (and I've checked them out) the really, really average to bad fan fics. There are actual good fan fics out there. If we're going to file serial numbers off, at least pick a good one to "adapt."

I really wish Meyer would sue the fuck out of all of them. Sadly, that's not going to happen.

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get jealous. I get swept away. Hopefully, I'll never lose the ability.

It's okay to be envious of another's work though, it makes you reach higher, try harder, dig deeper.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score

Yup. All of this. I'm going to have to kick Steph out of my head soon.

Although there are a few people here (they probably know who they are) who I am truly jealous of their style. Probably because it is so different from the way I write and I can't understand why I can't say so much with so little words. But, you know, jealous in a good way, 'cause I want all the success in the world for them.

Same goes for a budding CP-ship. Some days I just hate how creative and productive they are and wish I could have their superpowers for myself. (And then remind myself that they're on my side, so I probably shouldn't try eating their brain.) :D

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score

I just try to remember that the pro-level books that make my heart ache have probably gone through extensive rewrites and professional editing and lots and lots and lots of tweaking before they get to that level. I've only had a taste of it when working with my agent, and it's unbelievable what a professional literary eye can out of you simply by pointing out something you can't believe you missed. They don't tell you what to write (or at least, they shouldn't), but they make a comment here and a suggestion there and suddenly you write a paragraph and you're like HOW DID THAT COME OUT OF ME.

This is amazingly reassuring, Steph. Once again, you win the thread.

I actually don't experience writing jealousy a lot, because I went through my pretty prose stage and it...wasn't pretty. That ship has long since sailed. I'm not a Tabitha Suzuma fan - I don't like fluffy, purpley prose, it's just not my bag. Though, like missesdash, I am occasionally jealous when I run into somebody who is so pretty (or very ugly - far better!) but very controlled. Gillian Flynn, while not being YA, is my prime example.

I experience serious plotting jealousy, though. Screw pretty sentences. There's nothing like the HOLY SHIT gut punch of an amazing twist or surprise for me. I'm obsessed with dark and very twisty/shocky books. I've dreamt of writing a really wild and twisted mystery conspiracy thing for ages, but I've tried and tried and, yeah, I don't have the skill to pull off wowza! surprises, unfortunately. But it hurts so much! It hurts even more when I run into a writer who does it so well, and my eyes well up...

lagdonk

Registered
Reaction score
My jealousy is usually reserved for artists in other media. I feel like writing a great book is possible for me, but I doubt I'll ever write a great movie, or paint a beautiful picture, or compose a song as good as I'd like.

I feel the exact same way. Writing a great book is possible for you. I'm less sure about the rest of us, but please, please get to work.

:popcorn:

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I experience serious plotting jealousy, though. Screw pretty sentences. There's nothing like the HOLY SHIT gut punch of an amazing twist or surprise for me.
This. Two writing traits I want to possess:
1) I want to be able to come up with a lot of amazing high concept plots full of amazing mindscrewy twists
2) I want to be prolific.

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this. A million times this. Seriously, NO ONE has a golden pen, no matter what they think. An author doesn't just wake up one day and hone magic and beauty in the first pass. They spend so much time on their craft, pass it through crit partners, pass it through an agent, pass it through editors, and everyone says, "Clean this up" or "Go a little further." It takes a lot of time and multiple keen eyes to get there. Of course, the writer will have talent and ability to string words together, but few writers are truly solitary recluses who never bounce their work off anyone.
This actually makes me feel a whole lot better! I think I needed a bit of reassurance LOL.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I get jealousy, but more in an admiring way than an actual ARGH ANGER way. Every time I read Margaret Atwood, Robin Hobb, Kate Atkinson, Laini Taylor, and recently Zoe Mariott I go "sigh, man, they are goood. And I love them for it. But damn if I don't hope someday someone feels this way about my writing."

I tend to the more flowery side too, but I also admire people who get across so much in so few words. Patrick Ness does a good job of this IMO, and a few others that I'm blanking on at the moment.

Brishen

It was meee! I was the turkey!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel jealous when I find out that a published author whose work I really, really like is younger than me. Or - OK, not so much jealous as deflated. I think I should have finished by novel by now. To be fair, I was an unfocused jackass when I was 24, so whaddaya gonna do.

Also, thanks to this thread, I purchased Daughter of Smoke and Bone today.

Last edited: