Status
Not open for further replies.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
This is still kind of surreal to me. Last year I signed with a wonderful, enthusiastic, whip-smart agent, we sent my book out with all the hope in the world, etc. etc. It didn't sell. We got many complimentary passes, but NYC is just not buying debut adult fiction that doesn't have BESTSELLER written all over it, preferably in Courier New.

So I've been preparing to self-publish. It was depressing at first, to realize that all this struggle to get an agent and go through the torture of the submission process was going to end like this. But now I have more of a "screw it, my cover is awesome, this thing is polished as hell, it was almost acquired by NY, let's see what happens on Kindle" attitude.

In the meantime I wrote a new book in a kind of hot genre. But the agent who'd been so enthusiastic and responsive at the beginning...wasn't anymore. Emails unanswered, long delays, vague responses. My new book sat for months unread. The passion just wasn't there.

How do you have that discussion? It's like, you're not doing anything overtly wrong, but I just have this gut sense that you're not into me or my work anymore. I'd broached this subject once before and was assured that the agent was still keen to work with me, but actions speak louder than words.

So yesterday I sent The Breakup Letter.

And god, it sucked. Terrifying. Agentless again. Feeling like all of this meant nothing, that I've made no progress at all.

Of course, I know that's not true. And I know that Awesome Agent is still awesome, just not the right fit for me anymore.

At least now, while I'm doing the query thing again, I don't feel so...desperately hopeful? Grateful for any scrap thrown my way? The whole process gave me a confidence boost. I know my work is good enough for the gatekeepers. And if the gatekeepers aren't interested, I'll take my toys and go to Kindle and self-pub and make money.

It feels like the power dynamic is changing. NY publishing is making some bad decisions, but writers aren't completely at their mercy anymore. We don't have to be trembling little puppies eager for any kind pat on the head.

At this very moment, though, I feel very much like the proverbial puppy in the window, looking up for a new master with big, sad eyes, just wanting to be loved.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Aw *hugs* I am sure it was for the best. If its not a good fit for you it's a good idea to pass.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
It is a huge and scary step. I "parted ways" as they say, with my first agent as well, and now have a new one, even though before i signed with her, there were months when I questioned my decision. My new agent has two of my manuscripts out, but I'm selfpublishing as well. Having a hybrid career makes sense for many writers now, if you really understand what you are getting into. Good luck!

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
It's a scary move, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. I had a parting of the ways with an agent I liked tremendously, a friend as well as an agent, and that was wrenching; but even worse is the feeling that comes later that you're agentless, back to square one. I'd had a bunch of books published by then, with heartwarming reviews and respectable sales, and it still took me a couple of months to find my next agent. Those months were depressing to say the least. So I empathize completely with what you're going through---but it sounds like you did the right thing.

You're right to feel encouraged. When agents find writers they want to represent, they rush to sign them up because they assume other agents will feel the same way. If one agent loved your work, chances are you'll find others who do, too. And the good thing now is that you know agents are just working stiffs like the rest of us, not demigods to be propitiated with burnt offerings. Useful information.

Good luck. And nice job on the blog---I loved the interview with Ann Rice and agreed with at least half of it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
It will be all right. I've been through it too and being agentless isn't so bad. You're more in control of your work and what you'd like done with it. You can still submit to mid-size publishers, can't you?

Or like you said, self-publishing. Having a big-six publisher isn't the b- all and end- all. Everything happens for a reason, good luck with it! I have a good feeling you'll do just fine.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I admire you for facing down your fear and doing the best thing for your books! So hard but, it sounds like, necessary.

How did you know when it was time to send the breakup letter? Was it after a certain number of nudges, or responses that suggested a lack of enthusiasm, or a certain number of months since the last sub? I always figured that agents would do the breaking up, but now I'm not so sure and wondering how others have handled such situations.

An author I know had a book that landed on O Magazine's summer reading list a few years ago. Now he's self-publishing. I'm not sure what happened, and whether he chose or was forced onto that path (I plan to find out), but it's a fast-changing world for sure.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Sympathies on having to fire your agent, and cheers that you have a plan for going forward. I had to fire my first agent when I realized she had lost interest not just in me, but agenting in general. (I've talked to her other ex-clients.)

carlstevenswriter

A would-be bard in the digital age
Registered
Reaction score
Freedom is glorious and terrifying. I am currently negotiating dozens of public appearances on my own with no idea if I will be reading to empty rooms or packed halls, selling copies by the bushel or lugging them all back to the trunk of my car. Right now I love the sense of opportunity. Get back to me in a couple months once reality comes.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
_ _ _ I think you're mistaken about "having to write bestsellers to get a publisher." Publishers take on many books that are pretty sure never to qualify in that regard. The industry is about money. It has to be to survive. But that isn't the be all end all. There are many editors who really do want to get quality books out there that they believe in, whether they're commercially viable or not. G'luck to you.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, based on my experience the bestseller thing seems to ring true. ;) But that could just be the bitterness talking.

Leah, so sorry about this happening, but I'm wishing you luck, and I hope the book does great self-published. I've been toying with the idea myself, so I'd love it if you keep us updated on how it goes and what you think of the process. And here's to finding a new agent soon.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
_ _ _ your real-time experience trumps mine ;-)

That said, I think having an all-star agent can have its downsides. (Not sure if that's the case here.) They tend to want big-deals and go after the top six publishers, which is FINE! But if your book doesn't fit into that realm then you might be better off with an agent who plays for lower stakes and is willing to go after mid-level publishers if the top markets don't come through.

There are a lot of respectable ones out there, though the huge advances are not going to be handed out by them. It's by no means that black & white. Big time agents strike deals with indies and Not-Quite-So-Big agents strike deals with the sixes. But their philosophy is a bit different on average.

My advice? If you write books that are not commercial, in the full sense of the term, don't necessarily veer towards big-time agents. Don't shy away either of course. Just give it some consideration before signing.

And of course if you're book doesn't land a deal, realize that there are a million factors involved and that your book may still be great and may work its way onto the shelves yet!

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
That must have been so difficult but I think you've probably done the right thing. A bad agent is worse than no agent - an agent who isn't interested in their client? Yeah. Not good.

It feels like the power dynamic is changing. NY publishing is making some bad decisions, but writers aren't completely at their mercy anymore. We don't have to be trembling little puppies eager for any kind pat on the head.

I know this is R&D, but I think this is a pretty unhelpful attitude. For a start, none of us are at the mercy of anybody inside the publishing business or out of it. They are business decisions. If you self publish and sell 2000 copies, I'd say that's a pretty successful result, but if you'd been pubbed by an NYC publisher, it would be a disaster.
Many years ago I worked as a buyer for a gift shop and there were plenty of products I would have loved to stock but didn't, usually because I knew we couldn't sell them at a price to make a profit.

I say go for self-pubbing if you've the time. You know the book is good enough, the problem is reaching the market. (and don't forget to start a thread about it!) :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Is that like a divorce?

Like divorce with children involved, since if the book had sold they'd be committed to each other forever even if they didn't work together on future projects. And even though it didn't, no other agent will want to adopt it.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear that. But you are right. Your cover IS awesome. I clicked on your website and the cover alone was enough to make me bite my nails in anticipation of your book coming out.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!!!!

:partyguy:

Just think of it as you've freed yourself for something better, whatever that may be.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about. I've had to do this a few times. Ahem.

It sucks now, but it won't forever. I swear.

:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

Status
Not open for further replies.