• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dunham Literary (Jennie Dunham)

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
What Thedrellum said, and if you want to get a feel for her personality, she's on Twitter under @bredalot. (My take: she sounds smart, interesting and nice.) She's listed as a 'junior agent', so am guessing she doesn't have many sales yet. As for the agency itself, I have to admit I'm a little cautious, because there's barely any info out there about it that I can find, of course that doesn't mean they aren't a great agency, but it's hard to tell when you can't find anything.

Good luck!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I couldn't find anything on Publisher's Marketplace, but then again the last sale reported for the agency was in March of last year. I'm assuming that they just don't worry so much about the reporting side of things.

As for if she asks you to sign with her, first congratulate yourself, then ask her about her sales history, her plan for submitting your novel, etc. When she asks to represent you, that's the point she needs to sell you on her (as you've already sold her on your book). Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't feel like you have to say yes.

I absolutely agree with this and it has been my policy with a few newer agents. I queried Bridgit after Sarah Lapolla endorsed her on twitter. She said something along the lines of "send your genre fiction to Bridget smith, send me your literary fiction". Bridget is very friendly with a bunch of other agents on twitter. I take this as a good sign (don't get me wrong, its not enough to blindly trust but enough to give her the benefit of the doubt. Reputable agents tend to not be happy with unreputable agents) She now has my full (she asked for a bio but no marketing statement) and if she happens to offer I'll ask her lots of questions. I do wish I knew if she had any clients at all but ya know. But being a member of AAR is encouraging.

For those interested sent my query 1-19, request for full 4-26. She sent me a personalized email saying she recieved it and is excited to read.

wardogwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Bridget Smith

Bridget requested my full 5-2012. Last September, we spoke on the phone where she requested an exclusive revision. Basically, she asked me to re-write the second half of my book! The re-write took six months to complete. We spoke again 4-2013. She requested a few more changes to make the book more marketable (which took only a few weeks). During our third phone call (this month), she offered to represent the book, and I accepted.

Her conduct over the phone was highly professional. While she was always polite and very nice, she stayed focused on communicating what she thought would improve the book, which is absolutely what I wanted to hear.

While at first, I was also surprised by the marketing statement, the more I thought about it, the more I appreciated being asked for this input. Who knows our books better than us? I spent a long time imagining my readers, and I enjoyed writing their names down: Mom, Dad... :)

After I received the contract, I sent her a page of questions which she responded to fully. She wasn't flustered or put off by any one of them, even though some were pretty tough. While I already felt very drawn to her because of the editorial guidance she gave me, her knowledgeable manner during our phone calls, and her prompt e-mail replies, her pleasant and satisfying responses to these questions spoke volumes.

It wasn't an easy route. I sometimes thought the re-writes would kill me! But I'm thrilled with the result, and in the long process, became convinced that Bridget has the unique combination of background, personality, and ability to best represent my book.

Last edited:

wardogwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Tromboli.

And I do recommend that writers in the querying stage follow Bridget on Twitter. She often posts her likes and advice on how to catch her eye.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Bridget requested my full 5-2012. Last September, we spoke on the phone where she requested an exclusive revision. Basically, she asked me to re-write the second half of my book! The re-write took six months to complete. We spoke again 4-2013. She requested a few more changes to make the book more marketable (which took only a few weeks). During our third phone call (this month), she offered to represent the book, and I accepted.

Her conduct over the phone was highly professional. While she was always polite and very nice, she stayed focused on communicating what she thought would improve the book, which is absolutely what I wanted to hear.

While at first, I was also surprised by the marketing statement, the more I thought about it, the more I appreciated being asked for this input. Who knows our books better than us? I spent a long time imagining my readers, and I enjoyed writing their names down: Mom, Dad... :)

After I received the contract, I sent her a page of questions which she responded to fully. She wasn't flustered or put off by any one of them, even though some were pretty tough. While I already felt very drawn to her because of the editorial guidance she gave me, her knowledgeable manner during our phone calls, and her prompt e-mail replies, her pleasant and satisfying responses to these questions spoke volumes.

It wasn't an easy route. I sometimes thought the re-writes would kill me! But I'm thrilled with the result, and in the long process, became convinced that Bridget has the unique combination of background, personality, and ability to best represent my book.

That's an awesome, inspiring story, wardogwriter! CONGRATS! :D

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
Weird, Bridget didn't ask me for a market statement when she requested my full. Maybe because it usually takes people a while to put them together and she knew she had a limited time to read the MS? (Offer on the table from another agent.)

Anyway, Bridget extended her own offer on Tuesday, and this thread has given me some more things to consider in weighing my decision between the two, so thank you everybody -- and congratulations wardogwriter! Sounds like you two are a great match.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know their expected response times for queries, or if they respond to all? Just curious!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bridget Smith responds to all queries. She takes probably 3-4 months. Check out QueryTracker for average response times.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Does anyone have any recent info on Bridget's track record for sales? Everything from 1-2 years ago just mentions she's new.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
PM lists a sale for Bridget to Egmont in Sept '14, however (per the author's blog) Egmont's subsequent closure/transition to Lerner nixed the deal.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Bridget Smith on 17/04/15 (for a Fantasy) but have yet to hear back from her. Does she reply to all queries, and d'you think I should resend?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
According to the comments on QueryTracker, she takes forever to respond, requesting fulls 8 months to even a year after the original query was sent. A number of people there close her out, then receive rejections or requests months later.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
I had a reply (rejection) from Bridget Smith today on a February query. She apologised for sitting on it for so long but she'd been undecided. She must have pored over my first five pages longer and more intently than I ever pored over entire books when I was a student. Oh well, that's agents. At least she was friendly, polite and encouraging about it, and I'm grateful she responded at all. Most don't. For her sins, I've sent her another ms.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, got a full request for her last month on the aforementioned April query.

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jennie Dunham with MG fantasy: 5/17/22
Rejection: 6/1/22