Registered
Reaction score
Settling in to do the most american thing I know- eat chinese food. /sarcasm

BUT HEY, I'm Canadian.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Bought two books: the third MI book and Forest of Hands and Teeth. Pretty excited to read them.

Also seen World War Z. Pretty good movie. Down side to seeing that was eating the blessified fattening popcorn.

But all that isn't interesting. Hahaha

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
That's still pretty cool!

Ugh, I woke up ridiculously early today because I had to pee... dammit.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
The girls around here freak out so much about PLL that I just don't want to watch it.

I was supposed to be camping in a tent for the weekend with Girl Guides but I called home early. I couldn't handle the heat and having to stay out in the middle of nowhere. I have no patience whatsoever, haha

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
It's actually my favourite show ever, no contest. It's just SO WELL DONE. It's smart, creepy ("two can only keep a secret if one of them is dead") and so good. So so so good. You should definitely watch it. Ahh. I like it a million times more than Doctor Who or OUAT or TVD or any other show ever. Exceept for maybe Elementary, which is a near second.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Elementary is good. I just finished Arrested Development on Netflix, and I have to say that was a pretty show. I'm watching Dexter now. I swear, all I've done this summer is read and watch TV, haha

It's so hazy here. The smoke from the huuuge fires in Labrador must be coming over here or something.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
HR, your WIP sounds super amazing! That's a crazily interesting premise.

Tally, your internship sounds pretty cool :)

The only TV I've watched in the past year is Game of Thrones (awesome) and a whole load of Suits during exams (also awesome). Also, sometimes when I'm in need of comfort I watch old eps of Gossip Girl and Veronica Mars.

I'm mostly reading things and getting some writing done. Not as much as I'd intended to during my winter break, but averaging about 1k a day. I'm working long hand, weirdly enough, and that's slowing me down a touch but I'm finding that it's helping unblock me.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
hi!

ooh, tv talk. my two favorite tv shows this year were elementary (lucy liu is my queen) and orphan black (seriously very cool acting). I recommend OB heartily to y'all if you haven't watched it (cool that you're also elementary fans!)

i'm also doing some reading (but i keep starting new books and not finishing the ones i started ha ha). update on writing tho: i finally wrote 200 words last night!

this is exciting cause i swear it's been like half a year since i've written anything (no joke). hopefully i'll get back into the swing of things now.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't wrote anything in forever. I'm itching to start again, but I'm afraid I'll get bored, like always...

I guess I'll stick with reading for a while.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly I should check out elementary!

Choco, that's fantastic re the writing.

I dunno, I have this feeling with writing that the longer I leave it the harder it is to return to. For me, it sort of builds on itself. The more I do, the more I'm drawn to do it, the more fertile my imagination gets etc Which is why the periods where I'm inundated with Uni stuff and don't do any writing at all create funks that are super hard to get out of. My novels just start looking super disjointed.

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time revising, lol.

What are you guys reading? I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I almost find that the longer I go without writing, the more ideas I have-- when I actually write I get more blocked, since my mind only focuses on my current WIP and if I struggle with it I can't write anything else.

Speaking of, I just started a new WIP this morning I've had in my head for about a year- about PIRATE LADIES. In MODERN TIMES. In the CARIBBEAN. And I'm now 2000 words in.

YAY.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna read it.

Finished Forest of Hands and Teeth. It didn't turn out a good as I thought it would when I started it. Now onto City of Glass, which is pretty good so far.

Right now my problem is I want two write, but I have no ideas what to write about whatsoever. :/

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
That calls for a shnippet!!!!

Ever since she could remember, Cadie had known of Embrujada.

When her mother had still been alive, Embrujada had just been a myth, a fantasy island she only heard about right before bed, a land where people danced under the hot suns of endless summers in shallow waters as blue as her father’s eyes. It was only at her mother’s funeral that she realized the island was real, as relatives she’d never heard of poured in from around the world, full of stories of the small dresses and big houses and worlds of laughter that had been her mother’s life before “the hurricane” had wiped the sun away. There were pictures, too: pictures of her mother as a baby, small and dark against gleaming white sand; pictures of her mother and her mother’s mother and a dozen sisters and cousins and brothers in front of a grand golden house; then, from around the world, of her mother and her mother’s mother, and then eventually just her mother; of New York and New Orleans and Madrid and of Venice and eventually, just Dublin.

After the funeral, Collette told her that when her mother had been a little girl, she’d lived with all her family in the Caribbean, until one day there was a hurricane and they all moved to different parts of the world. Cadie couldn’t understand why these people had no stories of her mother after she was seven, or why they hadn’t come to her mother’s wedding or to meet her mother’s daughters but now that her mother was dead she was their dearest sister or cousin or niece whom they would love forever and ever amen.

Cadie had been ten years old.

Seven years later, she leaned against the cool metal bar of the boat, tipping her head forward so she could almost taste the water below her, the salty breeze caressing her cheeks like a lover’s touch. She kept her eyes closed, holding her childhood image of Embrujada before them, memorizing every last imagined mountain and castle, until her sister poked her in the back of the neck, and Cadie looked.

opening unedited passage wut wut *hangs head in shame at unprofessional snippet policies*

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
It's good so far. I've wanted to read some pirate stories after watching Piratesbof the Caribbean, but I couldn't find any besides online.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Tally, that is so very pretty! I think I shall post the opening of my new WIP soon!

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I was pretty hooked from the second sentence of that snip, Tally! Some gorgeous writing :)

American Gods was brilliant. Reading The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen now. It's such an action-packed series! Trying to learn from it -- I have so much difficulty streamlining worldbuilding when writing fantasy.

HR, I haven't read any of Anna Godbersen's books but they look cool. How are you enjoying it?

Taylor, if you need ideas go browse TV tropes! Always sparks something for me!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm American Gods. I finished rereading that a few days ago!

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, how did you like it, Lisa? I can't decide whether it's a 4 or 5 star book for me. It's undoubtedly brilliant, but I have some reservations (that I think may be entirely to do with me as a reader, lol).

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score

I think I actually would love to marry Neil Gaiman. Just saying.